NHS - Unreal comments

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lukkymik. There are a lot of non-carb foods, or very-low carb e.g. proteins such as cheese, fish, meat and then the non-root vegetables. If you train your body to live without a lot of carbs it will start to use fats when needed which can be useful if you want to lose weight and lower blood sugar.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I was told the same, not to test after meals, by my consultant on my last appointment, and I sat their and thought am I hearing this right, don't test after meals, how am I going to see if I'm getting the right amount of carbs to insulin. I thought that the daphne course, was all about getting the right amount of carbs to insulin, and how are you going to find out if that's right, unless you test afterwards.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Julie1471 said:
I was told the same, not to test after meals, by my consultant on my last appointment, and I sat their and thought am I hearing this right, don't test after meals, how am I going to see if I'm getting the right amount of carbs to insulin. I thought that the daphne course, was all about getting the right amount of carbs to insulin, and how are you going to find out if that's right, unless you test afterwards.
Rapid action insulins aren't that rapid. At 2 hours they are still working at near to their maximum strength. They aren't necessarily able to get you back to normal ranges at 2 hours, indeed if I were at pre meal levels at 2 hours, I'd be hypo at 4hours.
I think it makes sense to test post prandially when you change things, eat something unusual etc to make sure that there isn't a big spike but if you find that you are normally back down to normal levels at lunch or dinner then the 2 hour test can become redundant.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
"still awaiting my first hospital diabetes clinic or whatever its called but have been advised by the docs to test about 3 -4 times a day at various times so that when I do go the more info I have the easier it will be for them

At the moment have only been testing mostly once a day around 2 hours after my main meal"

Sorry... Cant understand why someone is told to test 3-4 times a day... And only testing once......WAKE UP...!!! Many people t2's would love to be able to test 3-4 times a day ... But they have ignorant gp's..

You need to test 3-4 times as per your gp's advice...

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
phoenix said:
Rapid action insulins aren't that rapid. At 2 hours they are still working at near to their maximum strength. They aren't necessarily able to get you back to normal ranges at 2 hours, indeed if I were at pre meal levels at 2 hours, I'd be hypo at 4hours.
I think it makes sense to test post prandially when you change things, eat something unusual etc to make sure that there isn't a big spike but if you find that you are normally back down to normal levels at lunch or dinner then the 2 hour test can become redundant.

Totally agree with you, Phoenix. Rapid insulins aren't rapid. My (very experienced) diabetes team on the Wirral echoed the idea that the two hour result isn't that helpful if the insulin is still acting at near maximum action.