Nice sense of progress

phyden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings
Well I am down to 1200 calories and have lost 8 kilos since Jan but I have a feeling I am not doing it right as well I do not check the other things
like the fat, protein and cards just the weight of my food, I think may be I should go against my Doctor and buy a machine for my blood, I do have a BP machine and yes I do use it every morning when I first get up, I started at 150 but I am now at 120. but well I now have another problem, all my weight I feel has come off my legs and arms and my Eczema has broken out there and started to weep it is keeping up awake all night.
I did ring my Doctor but well it seems he is away at present. Phyden

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Phyden

Yes, I think you should buy a monitor to keep an eye on you blood, regardless of whether your doctor agrees.

Eating by weight seems odd to me as I believe it is the type of food that matters. I am successful losing weight by eating low carbs and high, healthy fats. Here is a link to a website about it http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I love your wee rabbit picture! If I was to eat him :eek: It would make me feel quite ill as he is made of melon and pineapple! So sugary.

Ask you doctor for help with treating your eczema as lack of sleep will make you miserable, plus if your skin breaks and gets infected it could affect your blood glucose levels. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am down to 1200 calories and have lost 8 kilos since Jan but I have a feeling I am not doing it right as well I do not check the other things
like the fat, protein and cards just the weight of my food, I think may be I should go against my Doctor and buy a machine for my blood, I do have a BP machine and yes I do use it every morning when I first get up, I started at 150 but I am now at 120. but well I now have another problem, all my weight I feel has come off my legs and arms and my Eczema has broken out there and started to weep it is keeping up awake all night.
I did ring my Doctor but well it seems he is away at present. Phyden
I would definitely get a BG monitor if you are able to - it can tell you so much about how specific foods affect your BG levels after eating.

If you suffer with skin conditions, you might want to look into a gluten free diet as gluten can have a huge impact on gut health/permeability and in turn can also impact the skin. Dairy is another food that can cause skin issues.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Phyden

I am finding that since lowering my carbs my eczema is starting to go. Before diagnosis I was convinced my eczema was just work/stress related, and it probably was, but there may have been an element of high BG levels as well in prediabetic/pre-diagnosis days. I presume you are long retired though!

I don't know to what extent my reducing eczema (mainly on my back) is down to better BG control or less stress at work, or both or something else again. I hope you get some good advice from your GP about it, mine prescribed Diprobase for large areas (pretty useless, Sudocrem is more effective) and Betnovate for smaller areas (better).

phyden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings
Phyden

I am finding that since lowering my carbs my eczema is starting to go. Before diagnosis I was convinced my eczema was just work/stress related, and it probably was, but there may have been an element of high BG levels as well in prediabetic/pre-diagnosis days. I presume you are long retired though!

I don't know to what extent my reducing eczema (mainly on my back) is down to better BG control or less stress at work, or both or something else again. I hope you get some good advice from your GP about it, mine prescribed Diprobase for large areas (pretty useless, Sudocrem is more effective) and Betnovate for smaller areas (better).

Hi Rod I am given Betamethasone Valeerate 1% for mine as to the rest of my body I use E45 moisturiser as I now have very dry skin, Yes I have been retired 20 years I am 83.
Just been reading up on LCHF . Diet Doctor, it sound good but how will my body react to a complete change?
OK the guy in the vid was young.
Pity we cannot get new parts for our problems, but well in my case I need a complete set ok my head seems ok other than I lost all my teeth and I need four pairs of glasses. LOL, Well I have still got a full head of hair and a wicked sense of humour ay odd times:D

phyden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings
Hi Phyden

Yes, I think you should buy a monitor to keep an eye on you blood, regardless of whether your doctor agrees.

Eating by weight seems odd to me as I believe it is the type of food that matters. I am successful losing weight by eating low carbs and high, healthy fats. Here is a link to a website about it http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I love your wee rabbit picture! If I was to eat him :eek: It would make me feel quite ill as he is made of melon and pineapple! So sugary.

Ask you doctor for help with treating your eczema as lack of sleep will make you miserable, plus if your skin breaks and gets infected it could affect your blood glucose levels. Good luck.

Hi, well I took your advice and joined the LCHF. I am please you like my Rabbit, Well As rabbits eat lettuce I felt it fitted me, I now started growing it in my kitchen, well you can cut it as needed and it is fresh , the problem with bought it will not keep and I eat lots of salads without onions, cumber or
radishes they set my stomach off as I have a Hiatus Hernia so I am on a low fat diet, funny I did notice on the Diet Doctor they say you can eat fat
yes well that could be fun but worth a try. Thanks for the info, your Rabbit ROTFL:happy:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I wouldn't go full LCHF at once, cut down carbs gradually, check with a meter and see how you get on.

Wicked sense of humour - no substitute for that, keep with it!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much progress at the moment, I seem to have plateaued a bit on both weight loss and BGs, but I'm not panicking about that.
Andrew Colvin has his very nice app, but I'm a simpler soul and track my results on graphs and a colour coded spreadsheet, which looks like this:

bg_minisheet.jpg

Now you don't need to be able to read this, but what it is meant to show is a progressive 'cooling' of the colours. Near the left is a block of four columns for BG testing - fasting, preprandial, dinner + 2 hours and dinner increase. To get into the cool blue zone fasting needs to be 5.5, preprandial 5.9, +2 7.8 and increase less than 2.

Next to that in beige mostly are notes clarifying any particular reason for odd numbers. Beige also represents days with no alcohol (!).

The big block of 8 columns in the middle is for blood pressure, two systolic/diastolic readings morning and evening, with the daily average in the two additional columns to the right of that. Green is below 142 and 82 - there's no blue category here at the moment.

The uncoloured columns next are for weight and weight loss, and the two columns in orange and red on the right are for BMI and waist size. This is a longer term process but they are coming down. The orange category for BMI is 28-30, currently on 28.3 so hopefully it will go yellow soon. Needs to be <25 to get into the green. Waist will go yellow (no orange, these are based on diabetes pack data from the DN) when I get below 40 in - beer belly is the issue there, but only a couple of inches to go.

Finally there are brief notes on exercise taken and food I've eaten.

Not over-sophisticated but it gives me all I need on one screen and a quick visual indication of ongoing progress, and it works for me.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much progress at the moment, I seem to have plateaued a bit on both weight loss and BGs, but I'm not panicking about that.
Andrew Colvin has his very nice app, but I'm a simpler soul and track my results on graphs and a colour coded spreadsheet, which looks like this:

View attachment 4642
Now you don't need to be able to read this, but what it is meant to show is a progressive 'cooling' of the colours. Near the left is a block of four columns for BG testing - fasting, preprandial, dinner + 2 hours and dinner increase. To get into the cool blue zone fasting needs to be 5.5, preprandial 5.9, +2 7.8 and increase less than 2.

Next to that in beige mostly are notes clarifying any particular reason for odd numbers. Beige also represents days with no alcohol (!).

The big block of 8 columns in the middle is for blood pressure, two systolic/diastolic readings morning and evening, with the daily average in the two additional columns to the right of that. Green is below 142 and 82 - there's no blue category here at the moment.

The uncoloured columns next are for weight and weight loss, and the two columns in orange and red on the right are for BMI and waist size. This is a longer term process but they are coming down. The orange category for BMI is 28-30, currently on 28.3 so hopefully it will go yellow soon. Needs to be <25 to get into the green. Waist will go yellow (no orange, these are based on diabetes pack data from the DN) when I get below 40 in - beer belly is the issue there, but only a couple of inches to go.

Not over-sophisticated but it gives me all I need on one screen and a quick visual indication of ongoing progress, and it works for me.

Oooh, pretty! And what an excellent and easily accessible way of showing your progress - the fruits of all that hard work and consistent effort!

Very impressive.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my body could do with the polyfilla treatment. I've lost a considerable amount of weight since September. Nowadays I prefer to look in the mirror without my glasses on otherwise I see what looks like a deflated blow up doll. ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Peace train as a forty(cough,cough) ish person who gas lost4stone low carbing I can sympathise. But I feel better, dress better and can camouflage!
Don't let it get you down. As a blow up doll you would have to deal with the complications? As you are now you are fitter and healthier.
I saw something on the internet about scars and marks tell a story. My stretch marks tell the story if copious amounts of white wine and Ben and Jerries. The newer chapters -,low carb high fat, better fitness, better feeling, nicer clothes.

Mrs Vimes

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

View attachment 4642

That was like my spreadsheet and it just seemed to get more and more complex and that is why I went to writing my app.

Your plateau may be being caused by protein late in the evening as it takes a long time to break it down and it keeps me elevated at around 5.3 to 5.5 depending on food type and amount