Night time blood sugars

Melreevo

Hello fellow type 1s.
I have recently started Tresiba insulin on 4 units once a day which seems to be working well. I'm a slow diabetic was diagnosed August 2016, so still have my own insulin.
Overnight my levels regularly drop in the 4s once I had a 3.7. I'm always worried if it goes into 4s I will go below and won't wake. Is this necessarily true? I've got into a bad habit of eating during the night when I get into 4s.on the other hand don't like eating as I eat too much and it raises blood sugar. I wake up with good sugars 5/6/7. But sometimes I wake up with almighty headaches and feel very week when I wake if I slept through the night.

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Melreevo sounds like you are probably hypoing at night. Especially if you are eating without bolusing and still waking up with good bloods. Headaches and weakness (as well as severe tiredness and blurry vision) are also classic symptoms of hypo.

It might be worth doing some overnight testing. It's a pain and means getting up every couple of hours but it will show what your body is doing. If in any doubt call your DSN and they'll be able to advise.

And don't worry about not waking up - your liver will wake you up eventually. It would have to be something really serious like an insulin overdose to make you stay in a hypo indefinitely.

J

Reactions: Struma