No appetite

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I have been doing the lchf diet for about 4 weeks and am happy with the reduction in insulin I've been able to make. I enjoy my breakfast which is porridge (not low carb I know ) but it isn't pushing up my bs by too much. The problem is I have no appetite for the rest of the day. I am married to a man who loves my cooking but I don't fancy anything and he gets cross when I don't eat. I know it's because he's worried about my health.

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you on Metformin? This was the main cause of lost appetite in my case (and many others if you read these boards extensively), if not a discussion with your GP or Diabetic Nurse might be in order.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been doing the lchf diet for about 4 weeks and am happy with the reduction in insulin I've been able to make. I enjoy my breakfast which is porridge (not low carb I know ) but it isn't pushing up my bs by too much. The problem is I have no appetite for the rest of the day. I am married to a man who loves my cooking but I don't fancy anything and he gets cross when I don't eat. I know it's because he's worried about my health.
I have found that I get a lot less hungry since starting LCHF. It feels as if I could drift on all day without bothering about food. This is a huge change from the past, when though not over-weight, I was always thinking about where my next meal or snack was coming from, and how soon! However, I do think I should eat, as I am now very thin and also I am trying to build up my muscles. I find that if I prepare something and begin eating, suddenly my enthusiasm picks up and I am keen to finish it. On the other hand, if I do start to feel I've had enough I don't push myself to go on. I have the impression that just leads to bloat and a high bg.
PS I'm not on Metformin.

Reactions: deb1960

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I started taking metformin when I was first diagnosed about 5 years ago and have never had a problem with it. I still need to lose about 4 stone so I can afford to miss a few meals! It only worries me that I might not be getting enough vitamins. I will buy some vitamins tomorrow and my appetite will come back with a vengeance soon no doubt .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not if you stick to low carb - carbs are what makes you hungry.
I an perfectly content with two small meals a day but I can sometimes get into a state of no appetite and I need to go to the kitchen and cook some breakfast with a small amount of carbs in order to keep things correct.

Reactions: deb1960