No Bg Rise After Eating...any Ideas?

MissMac

Hey guys,
just little me again with a little question....I tested my sugars tonight before eating then an hour and half later than another half hour after that just to see...in that time, the first post meal was only 0.1mmol/l higher than pre....the second it had actually gone down! I'm a bit confused as I thought everyone, diabetic or not would rise after the 2 hours...I know no-one is the same but it just seems all a bit weird so any ideas and thoughts would be great as google is not being my friend tonight! xx

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm often lower after 2 hours. Last night 4.8 before meal, an hour and a half later 6.5 but down to 4.3 at 2 hours after meal. I've just looked back at last week and mostly lower after 2 hours. I've been testing at one and a half hours as I think that might be my highest which I am trying to keep to as low as possible.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you eat? And how did you feel?

In someone with 'normal' blood glucose, their body should be able to regulate their blood glucose to within a very narrow range.

Having stabbed my beloved on numerous occasions, I have never caught his blood glucose higher than 6.6 mmol/l even after a huge binge involving rum and raisin fudge.

If what you ate was within the capacity of your body to maintain an even keel, then you should be celebrating! :)

Also, please note, just because your prick test meter reading did not catch the rise, does not mean it didn't happen. It was just small enough, and well controlled enough not to still be showing at the time of your prick tests.

Reactions: 2 people

MissMac

Yeah I tested at 1.5 hours and that's when it had gone up 0.1mmol/hr...thought I would be due a rise so tested at around the 2 hours mark and it was lower! Hence my confusion really! I mean if I am rising before that hour and a half then it suggests I am working at optimum level to correct it before I even notice it but doesn't seem possible and a bit far fetched!!! x

MissMac

What did you eat? And how did you feel?

In someone with 'normal' blood glucose, their body should be able to regulate their blood glucose to within a very narrow range.

Having stabbed my beloved on numerous occasions, I have never caught his blood glucose higher than 6.6 mmol/l even after a huge binge involving rum and raisin fudge.

If what you ate was within the capacity of your body to maintain an even keel, then you should be celebrating! :)

Also, please note, just because your prick test meter reading did not catch the rise, does not mean it didn't happen. It was just small enough, and well controlled enough not to still be showing at the time of your prick tests.

I had a rather delicious fry up...4 smoked bacon medallions, 2 sausages, 2 fried eggs (can only eat the yolk when fried..detest the texture of the white lol) ummm a couple of cherry toms and some mushrooms!! My pre meal was around 5.6, 1hr 30mins post meal was 5.7 then 35 mins later (so at 2 hour mark) was 5.5! Oh I am celebrating but I also panic cause I think I am gonna be doing something wrong and will get a nasty shock in another hour or something!!! xx

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I usually test first at 30 minutes then one hour and lastly two hours some times if fat and carbs in the meal ergo pizza I may test at three hours if having a double peak.

I have tested both wifes and daughters at times and found them sometimes higher than mine. particularly daughter's who was at 14 mmol/l a couple of times she then had HbA1c of 39mmol/l so doctor pronounced her as normal and will not repeat the test.

MissMac

I usually test first at 30 minutes then one hour and lastly two hours some times if fat and carbs in the meal ergo pizza I may test at three hours if having a double peak.

I have tested both wifes and daughters at times and found them sometimes higher than mine. particularly daughter's who was at 14 mmol/l a couple of times she then had HbA1c of 39mmol/l so doctor pronounced her as normal and will not repeat the test.
To be honest even if I did spike..the fact it has come right down in that time is good yes? To my understanding! I do worry as sure I said, that I would have a spike later on and I will test but even still! xxx

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@MissMac
when i have a OGTT, I have spiked in the first hour, and have fallen back to initial values,usually lower by the 120 min mark. Ifind tat it is only my primary inulin response that is shot, nothing wrng with my secondary response!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest even if I did spike..the fact it has come right down in that time is good yes? To my understanding! I do worry as sure I said, that I would have a spike later on and I will test but even still! xxx

It does happen.
This is good. Gold star in your log.:happy:
I find crust-less flan/quiche with chorizo, cauli and cheese topping with red wine does zip to my BGs.
Your getting the hang of this thing. :)

MissMac

It does happen.
This is good. Gold star in your log.:happy:
I find crust-less flan/quiche with chorizo, cauli and cheese topping with red wine does zip to my BGs.
Your getting the hang of this thing. :)
Well I tested again just to see if a 3 hour post meal would bring much.....nope! Just a little 0.2mmol/l rise taking me back to the pre meal so I think I am satisfied with that. Have to be honest not got my head round the primary and secondary thing yet! x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like that meal is a winner for you.

That kind of thing is great for me too. When we go out, I can usually find something on the menu that suits me - and a cooked breakfast, mixed grill, or similar is usually an OK option.

We often go out for breakfast, rather than an evening meal, largely because the breakfast menu is more likely to have low carb options. :D Plus, I can often forget about food most of the day. Today I had bacon and egg and tomato for breakfast and then didn't need anything else til about 4 in the afternoon.

MissMac

Looks like that meal is a winner for you.

That kind of thing is great for me too. When we go out, I can usually find something on the menu that suits me - and a cooked breakfast, mixed grill, or similar is usually an OK option.

We often go out for breakfast, rather than an evening meal, largely because the breakfast menu is more likely to have low carb options. :D Plus, I can often forget about food most of the day. Today I had bacon and egg and tomato for breakfast and then didn't need anything else til about 4 in the afternoon.
Maybe it is worth me saying that about 20 mins before I took that last reading I had a piece of dark (and I mean BLACK 90%cocoa) chocolate! ha ha way I see it..being under 6 is a winner post meal and even if the choc sent me up to like 7, it's still under all the recommendations..in other words....I ain't gonna pee on my fire anymore tonight!
I know what you mean about food..I seem to be more hungry when at work..I dunno if it's like a panic that I don't have easy access and I end up eating lunch at like 1130 but at home...not a bother to go to the avo!! I know...give up work right? OH how I want to! x

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it is worth me saying that about 20 mins before I took that last reading I had a piece of dark (and I mean BLACK 90%cocoa) chocolate! ha ha way I see it..being under 6 is a winner post meal and even if the choc sent me up to like 7, it's still under all the recommendations..in other words....I ain't gonna pee on my fire anymore tonight!
I know what you mean about food..I seem to be more hungry when at work..I dunno if it's like a panic that I don't have easy access and I end up eating lunch at like 1130 but at home...not a bother to go to the avo!! I know...give up work right? OH how I want to! x

When I have my evening bit of chocolate I will nearly always have it as the final piece of my meal, to add the carbs, 2 g, to the fat and veg of the meal.... though I have been known to have a couple of nuts if my 2 hr read is particularly low.

Big fry it is then!

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing great and have found a meal that you can have anytime.. well done! Thats what success feels like enjoy it.
Big hugs
M

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I had a rather delicious fry up...4 smoked bacon medallions, 2 sausages, 2 fried eggs (can only eat the yolk when fried..detest the texture of the white lol) ummm a couple of cherry toms and some mushrooms!! My pre meal was around 5.6, 1hr 30mins post meal was 5.7 then 35 mins later (so at 2 hour mark) was 5.5! Oh I am celebrating but I also panic cause I think I am gonna be doing something wrong and will get a nasty shock in another hour or something!!! xx

Not a surprising results given the almost complete absence of carbs and lots of fat in the meal. It does sound delicious!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That is exactly what you are shooting for with low carb eating.

MissMac

Te he thanks guys...I really must remember to wash my hands before testing as cut up strawberries, I took the BG and it was 7.1...tested again about 20 mins later and was 6.1! lol Why why why do I feel "disappointed" these days when i see anything over 6? lol x

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Te he thanks guys...I really must remember to wash my hands before testing as cut up strawberries, I took the BG and it was 7.1...tested again about 20 mins later and was 6.1! lol Why why why do I feel "disappointed" these days when i see anything over 6? lol x
I think if you are like me (and perhaps many others) we can get obsessive about our numbers. I used to be furious with FBG results of 5.2 - 5.4. For me I think it is fear related of slipping back into high numbers; now I cut myself some slack. The mental side of diabetic management is just as hard as the physical.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein and fats take longer to digest. If you're not eating carbs (which from what you said, you didn't) you may very well see a lower bg hours later. Carbs are the thing that pushes my bg up.

MissMac

Protein and fats take longer to digest. If you're not eating carbs (which from what you said, you didn't) you may very well see a lower bg hours later. Carbs are the thing that pushes my bg up.
Yeah my carb intake is pretty darn minimal...my other half is growing concerned that long term, I am not getting enough calories and "all the other stuff" we need to function at optimum but I am still trying to get meals together that are good so that I don't get bored and all that stuff...this is a way of life for me now! x

Reactions: 3 people