No Bg Rise After Eating...any Ideas?

MissMac

I think if you are like me (and perhaps many others) we can get obsessive about our numbers. I used to be furious with FBG results of 5.2 - 5.4. For me I think it is fear related of slipping back into high numbers; now I cut myself some slack. The mental side of diabetic management is just as hard as the physical.
Oh I hear ya! I am not testing as much as I was as, to be fair, I am eating a lot of the same things at the moment but am trying to widen that so I don't become despondent..it's just hard when you work full time and have other commitments to constantly be cooking from scratch and needing to prep...not quite at the stage of making up batches I can freeze then cook with ease but it will happen at SOME point!!! I think I am being so mega worried about it as I am determined that my 3 month repeat for my HbA1C has to be lower so I can wipe the floor with the GP surgery "nurse" who made me feel so stupid and horrid! If I can do low numbers on that and it then goes to yearly...I'm gonna experiment a bit more!!! But yes....obsessed with numbers...it's like some kind of weird eating disorder to be honest...watched a thing last night and heard a word..orthorexia and it kinda fits...BTW I am NOT making light of eating disorders in ANY shape or form..just saying that level of feeling the need to control etc etc. I totally agree with what you say about the mental side of management...it's all encompassing for me at least at the moment, I hope that eases off with time! xxx

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
or·tho·rex·i·a
ˌôrTHəˈreksēə/
noun
an obsession with eating foods that one considers healthy.
a medical condition in which the sufferer systematically avoids specific foods in the belief that they are harmful.

Sounds about right but in our case the foods we are avoiding ARE harmful BECAUSE of a medical condition.

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh thats good that you were down to pre meal level 2 hrs later, thats what my docs ask me to strive for and for the most I get it. For me it just indicates that I've counted and bolused correctly. Well done u!!!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Oh I hear ya! I am not testing as much as I was as, to be fair, I am eating a lot of the same things at the moment but am trying to widen that so I don't become despondent..it's just hard when you work full time and have other commitments to constantly be cooking from scratch and needing to prep...not quite at the stage of making up batches I can freeze then cook with ease but it will happen at SOME point!!! I think I am being so mega worried about it as I am determined that my 3 month repeat for my HbA1C has to be lower so I can wipe the floor with the GP surgery "nurse" who made me feel so stupid and horrid! If I can do low numbers on that and it then goes to yearly...I'm gonna experiment a bit more!!! But yes....obsessed with numbers...it's like some kind of weird eating disorder to be honest...watched a thing last night and heard a word..orthorexia and it kinda fits...BTW I am NOT making light of eating disorders in ANY shape or form..just saying that level of feeling the need to control etc etc. I totally agree with what you say about the mental side of management...it's all encompassing for me at least at the moment, I hope that eases off with time! xxx
"Us" obsessive's obtain results as this is a drive trigger, but have to be careful and throttle back. I began to burn muscle at my worst. I suppose it is about trying to get to a point of sustainability with our lifestyles. I suppose I am lucky and grateful as my wife having a Physio and Sports degree has always cooked from scratch; her training followed the eat well guidelines from an elite performance perspective, now evening meals are zero carb for the entire family. I look after my breakfast and lunch and appreciate what you say about variation. The effort you are putting in I am sure will provide you with exceptional results.

MissMac

"Us" obsessive's obtain results as this is a drive trigger, but have to be careful and throttle back. I began to burn muscle at my worst. I suppose it is about trying to get to a point of sustainability with our lifestyles. I suppose I am lucky and grateful as my wife having a Physio and Sports degree has always cooked from scratch; her training followed the eat well guidelines from an elite performance perspective, now evening meals are zero carb for the entire family. I look after my breakfast and lunch and appreciate what you say about variation. The effort you are putting in I am sure will provide you with exceptional results.
If you don't mind me asking how did you know you were burning muscle? My other half is REALLY worried that I am not eating enough and not eating what I need to sustain myself in the long term...I really want a dietician but am so done with the NHS guidelines and there is no one down here privately who knows enough about this way of eating to be of any use. I am just not able to count the carbs and fats and all that..I know there are apps but my knowledge of tech is pretty limited if honest!! x

MissMac

or·tho·rex·i·a
ˌôrTHəˈreksēə/
noun
an obsession with eating foods that one considers healthy.
a medical condition in which the sufferer systematically avoids specific foods in the belief that they are harmful.

Sounds about right but in our case the foods we are avoiding ARE harmful BECAUSE of a medical condition.
Yeah I know...it's just that the "signs" of the problem fit SO well, just goes to show that diagnosis of something like that can be so subjective. I know why I am doing what I am doing but I know others would think I'm totally mad...already been told that I need to relax by someone and that I am being too "narrow" by cutting out stuff...but then she is severely obese and not quite my favourite person as I am not hers either lol x

MissMac

Oh thats good that you were down to pre meal level 2 hrs later, thats what my docs ask me to strive for and for the most I get it. For me it just indicates that I've counted and bolused correctly. Well done u!!!
Thank you and well done you as well xxx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you seen the Eat Fat book by Trudie Deakin?
She is a dietician, so everything in that book is a perfect blend of extensive dietician knowledge and LCHF. She trains other trainers.

As for worrying that you aren't eating enough... are you eating regularly? Enough to feel full? Are you eating enough volume, with enough varieties of different foods to give varied nutrition?

Broadly speaking, my personal gauge on this would be:

low carb (anywhere from 20g upwards, from low carb sources, mainly veg, at least 5 portions a day)
enough protein (there is a calc on the number of g of protein for your weight, I will post a link)
then fill up on fat til you aren't hungry any more.
That way you simply can't not eat enough, even if losing weight, you still get the nutrition you need, and can tinker with calories and fat til you control your weight.

I know that my experience is that as soon as I wasn't wasting intake on empty carb calories, my veg and nutrition intake went through the roof! I usually have minimum 6-8 veg portions a day (although sometimes it is only 3-4 types of veg a day, in HUGE portions), with 2-3 portions of berries a week. The more varied, colourful and interesting, the better.

Here is that LC nutrition calculator:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/DietMakeupCalc.php

DavidE54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hey guys,
just little me again with a little question....I tested my sugars tonight before eating then an hour and half later than another half hour after that just to see...in that time, the first post meal was only 0.1mmol/l higher than pre....the second it had actually gone down! I'm a bit confused as I thought everyone, diabetic or not would rise after the 2 hours...I know no-one is the same but it just seems all a bit weird so any ideas and thoughts would be great as google is not being my friend tonight! xx
Hi
I'm pre and find my peak is between 1/2 and 1 hour after eating then more or less back to normal after 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MissMac - Roughly where are you in the UK? Not your town or anything, just sort of area?

The book @Brunneria mentions is very good. It's not heavy going, but there are some great charts, lists and so on, and quite a few recipes. It was published a while after I was diagnosed, but I sometimes dip into it, because if the topic I want to refresh on is covered in the book, the information with be in a succinct form.

MissMac

@MissMac - Roughly where are you in the UK? Not your town or anything, just sort of area?

The book @Brunneria mentions is very good. It's not heavy going, but there are some great charts, lists and so on, and quite a few recipes. It was published a while after I was diagnosed, but I sometimes dip into it, because if the topic I want to refresh on is covered in the book, the information with be in a succinct form.
I'm in the darkest South West of the UK! Apparently there was an endo consultant in Southampton who was super up on LCHF but that is hundreds upon hundreds of miles away!! I have googled my little heart out!
I might have a look at that book then..thank you!
As for eating enough...no I don't think I am totally to be honest as do sometimes feel rather hungry...but today I have so far eaten way more than I normally would yet still feel hungry!!! Not having such a grand day again to be honest, had some bad news last night and today feel a bit bloated again though have eaten nothing that could cause it! Oh well..probably cause I am getting used to the weight I did lose and now it feels "normal" if that makes ANY sense! x

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually test first at 30 minutes then one hour and lastly two hours some times if fat and carbs in the meal ergo pizza I may test at three hours if having a double peak.

I have tested both wifes and daughters at times and found them sometimes higher than mine. particularly daughter's who was at 14 mmol/l a couple of times she then had HbA1c of 39mmol/l so doctor pronounced her as normal and will not repeat the test.
Yes that is quite normal for a non diabetic to have high BG levels after a meal we all would have them before diabetes Many here have tested their non diabetic family members and found they had quite high levels

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the darkest South West of the UK! Apparently there was an endo consultant in Southampton who was super up on LCHF but that is hundreds upon hundreds of miles away!! I have googled my little heart out!
I might have a look at that book then..thank you!
As for eating enough...no I don't think I am totally to be honest as do sometimes feel rather hungry...but today I have so far eaten way more than I normally would yet still feel hungry!!! Not having such a grand day again to be honest, had some bad news last night and today feel a bit bloated again though have eaten nothing that could cause it! Oh well..probably cause I am getting used to the weight I did lose and now it feels "normal" if that makes ANY sense! x

Have you considered starting a thread, in say, "Ask a Question", or in the T1 forum asking if anyone is near where you are is seeing and Endo anywhere nearby?

I guess I'm also curious what seeing an Endo would actually do for you? I would say you seem to be making great progress towards some great numbers, and if the Endo you see is anything like the head-honcho in my locale, whom I happened to meet in a meeting about diabetes (as opposed to an appointment/consultation) was pretty much focused on the NICE guidelines for T2, and the diet we know and don't love so much. If I had been paying for that insight, I might have grasped a level of frustration I hadn't ever known, and like most others I went through a period of frustrations on my way to a better place.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

MissMac

Have you considered starting a thread, in say, "Ask a Question", or in the T1 forum asking if anyone is near where you are is seeing and Endo anywhere nearby?

I guess I'm also curious what seeing an Endo would actually do for you? I would say you seem to be making great progress towards some great numbers, and if the Endo you see is anything like the head-honcho in my locale, whom I happened to meet in a meeting about diabetes (as opposed to an appointment/consultation) was pretty much focused on the NICE guidelines for T2, and the diet we know and don't love so much. If I had been paying for that insight, I might have grasped a level of frustration I hadn't ever known, and like most others I went through a period of frustrations on my way to a better place.

:)
I hadn't to be honest but i am all a bit out of sorts today..not sure if it is the weather or what! I am hoping I will feel better tomorrow cause it's a trigger for me wanting to give up easy! x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hadn't to be honest but i am all a bit out of sorts today..not sure if it is the weather or what! I am hoping I will feel better tomorrow cause it's a trigger for me wanting to give up easy! x

I'm sure every single one of us has days when we're just fed up of this; whether it's something we've given up, or poking our fingers with a very sharp point, or something else.

I'm usually highly motivated, and very determined but sometimes I get fed up of cooking. I'm not the main cook in this household, but when MrB is away, I have to step into his much more gifted shoes. When it happens, I just have my favourite, good way of eating, thing. I'm not going to waste any naughtiness on negative emotion, I'll save them for a planned indulgence, although they don't happen too often.

Not sure that helps at all, but hey ho. Tomorrow's another day.

MissMac

I'm sure every single one of us has days when we're just fed up of this; whether it's something we've given up, or poking our fingers with a very sharp point, or something else.

I'm usually highly motivated, and very determined but sometimes I get fed up of cooking. I'm not the main cook in this household, but when MrB is away, I have to step into his much more gifted shoes. When it happens, I just have my favourite, good way of eating, thing. I'm not going to waste any naughtiness on negative emotion, I'll save them for a planned indulgence, although they don't happen too often.

Not sure that helps at all, but hey ho. Tomorrow's another day.
I have no idea why but am feeling mega fat and horrid today...probably is the heat!! Just in a bad mood! lol Oh I sent you a PM with a cheeky question @AndBreathe ....hope you don't mind! Did say I would become the most annoying poster huh? xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea why but am feeling mega fat and horrid today...probably is the heat!! Just in a bad mood! lol Oh I sent you a PM with a cheeky question @AndBreathe ....hope you don't mind! Did say I would become the most annoying poster huh? xx

Blimey,.............. "feeling mega fat and horrid today". If you didn't have those days, you'd be in the massive minority of women, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm very well acclimatised to the heat, to the point I detest the cold and even cool, and these days I have "too thin" days.

Rejoice in being a woman, eh?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Should have seen me on Monday, like a bear with a sore head... folks at work spent the whole day asking if "I was okay"... just in a blue mood and nothing shakes it.
Today went for a great swim before work and everything was alright... except for the blood on the walls following one tasty meeting..
but that was today.
Tomorrow is going to be fine...... Friday.

MissMac

Blimey,.............. "feeling mega fat and horrid today". If you didn't have those days, you'd be in the massive minority of women, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm very well acclimatised to the heat, to the point I detest the cold and even cool, and these days I have "too thin" days.

Rejoice in being a woman, eh?
Ha ha yeah I hear ya sister!!! Thought once the hormones had subsided again (you know what I'm saying lol) it would be better...I have just gotten SO used to feeling amazing that a bit of a down day is hard to bear if you know what I mean! xx

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Should have seen me on Monday, like a bear with a sore head... folks at work spent the whole day asking if "I was okay"... just in a blue mood and nothing shakes it.
Today went for a great swim before work and everything was alright... except for the blood on the walls following one tasty meeting..
but that was today.
Tomorrow is going to be fine...... Friday.
Not your blood I hope.

Reactions: 2 people