No guidance

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was my appointment with a Diabetes Nurse, can't fault the empathy she showed me. She is a qualified Sister in our NHS practice, but she was obviously not convinced my low carb approach is going to work. She pushed Starchy Carbs and less fat, does not think I should take my blood readings as my lifestyle will sort it out before my next blood test. I thanked her but told her I would stick to my low carb high protein plan.

My HbA1c when diagnosed this month was 49, I have lost 12 Kilo and am on low carbs, the question I am struggling with is do I need to take my bloods, Doc and Nurse are saying no, members of the forums are saying yes. I realise I may have to do this later to maintain weight and see what food helps me maintain it but should I start now?

The other scary news is that I have lost feeling on the bottom of my feet and some top areas of my toes and I had not realised.

Some things lost disappear for good, seems this may be the case with the feeling in my feet, BOTHER!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes test now. Even if you only do it short term and then occasionally thereafter. It’ll help you learn what works now, not by waiting to see if it all goes wrong and then have to start again. I test less now than I did because I’ve worked out what works so your assumption on none now some later is the wrong way round imo

If they were to support testing then they’d have to support prescribing meters and strips, which financially they probably aren’t allowed to. As she doesn’t believe in low carb and believes the starchy carb mantra then she might even believe the sore fingers/anxiety rubbish some think testing causes too

Reactions: Bluetit1802

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
M

Member496333

With regards to the feet I’ve not experienced neuropathy but certainly read on here that it might improve as blood sugars reduce and given some time. @Jim Lahey i believe has a tale to tell that might give some cause for optimism. And I’m sure I’ve heard mention of a supplement including r-ala, try this thread for ideas https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/peripheral-neuropathy.162874/page-3

Technically my neuropathy got a whole lot worse before it got better. Certainly in terms of pain.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Technically my neuropathy got a whole lot worse before it got better. Certainly in terms of pain.
But then it improved from it’s starting point did it not? Perhaps that pain was the nerves being able to heal once sugars reduced? I know when I had surgery on my elbow nerve (nothing to do with diabetes) I was warned an increase in pain could indicate healing. Sadly for me nothing changed as the injury was just too old.

M

Member496333

Yeah the pain became really bad as the feeling started returning. Eventually seemed to fix itself really very quickly once I went paleo/keto :nurse:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
however just read Metformin helps Fibromyalgia from which I have suffered a good few years, tempting to take them and see.
I would suggest that getting your blood sugars lower may well what helps with fibro.. rather than metformin. If, as is now thought, it's an inflammatory disease then reducing inflammation by cutting carbs may be the key.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist

The R-ALA you mentioned has worked for me. My peripheral neuropathy (feet only) is not a diabetes complication. It was caused by chemotherapy 6 years ago and is a well known and common side effect. I take the R-ALA (note, this is not the ordinary ALA). About 18 months ago I stopped taking it for one reason or another. Guess what - the neuropathy came back! My neuropathy isn't painful, it is mild and involves burning of the soles of the feet, and a feeling that my socks are all creased up underneath when I walk. Nothing disabling or painful, just uncomfortable. It goes away completely with the R-ALA. This is where I get mine from
https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_ultra_double_strength_r-fraction_alpha_lipoic_acid?search_string=Swanson Ultra Double Strength R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope yet then? Lots of cheery news, the hurting news didn't worry me because my feet already do and I had put this down to Fibromyalgia or Arthritis, still when peddling they are fine even on the hard rocky descents and jumps.

OK I surrender I will start taking my bloods, now which meter is the gentlest and least vampire like?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope yet then? Lots of cheery news, the hurting news didn't worry me because my feet already do and I had put this down to Fibromyalgia or Arthritis, still when peddling they are fine even on the hard rocky descents and jumps.

OK I surrender I will start taking my bloods, now which meter is the gentlest and least vampire like?
Thats about the finger pricker and method not the meter. Definitely choose one with adjustable depth and when you’ve got it come back and we’ll give you all the hints and tips how to do it kindly. I like the accuchek multiclix as there no changing fiddly lancets each poke and only a self container cartridge to dispose of with no pointy bits to worry about.

Edit: it’s actually a fastclix (the newer version of the old multiclix). Sorry for this misleading info.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist

When you buy a meter, a lancet device is normally provided with it. However, you can use any lancet device with any meter. I would encourage you to buy an Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device. They are the best and as gentle as you can get. The lancets are in a plastic drum, inserted in the device. 6 lancets per drum. They are hidden in the device so you can't see them. Just press and bob's your uncle. All done. 5.5 depth settings. You will also need to buy the Accu Chek lancets.

As for meters, ignore how much or how little the meter costs - you only need one. Just check the cost of the test strips. They are the expensive bit and you need many thousands. The price of strips varies between about £8 and £30 for 50, so do be aware.

@HSSS am I mistaken? I thought the Multiclix is no longer marketed?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist

When you buy a meter, a lancet device is normally provided with it. However, you can use any lancet device with any meter. I would encourage you to buy an Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device. They are the best and as gentle as you can get. The lancets are in a plastic drum, inserted in the device. 6 lancets per drum. They are hidden in the device so you can't see them. Just press and bob's your uncle. All done. 5.5 depth settings. You will also need to buy the Accu Chek lancets.

As for meters, ignore how much or how little the meter costs - you only need one. Just check the cost of the test strips. They are the expensive bit and you need many thousands. The price of strips varies between about £8 and £30 for 50, so do be aware.

@HSSS am I mistaken? I thought the Multiclix is no longer marketed?
No my mistake. It’s a fastclix.