1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Loukay1, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is a great thread. It is not often that we find solutions to diabetic issues that work for many of us. In this case: (very) low carb diet, ALA up to 1800 mg per day or R-ALA (dose?), vitamin B complex or B12 and for me fast walking, even though it can hurt till the blood flows. But be careful, if I do too much, my feet get very painful at night.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. BaliRob

BaliRob Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have what must be the absolute Diabetic Neuropathy - by this I mean it cannot get worse than it is as far as oedema is cocerned. Yet, being in continuous pain in feet, ankles, lower legs, fingers, wrists and lower forearms I have managed to avoid the poster's problems that worry him. For me, always having painful feet underneath since childhood (wrongly diagnosed then as 'flat feet') I have paid attention to my feet as much as anyone could do to prevent knocks, projecting objects at toe level, every attention to shoes and their comfort, i.e., not to cause abrasion of any kind, and to expertly cut my toenails to avoid ingrowing toenails especially at the corners of each big toe and, in my case because I was born with downward hammer toes, to avoid hard callouses at all costs. Soft skin is HEALTHY for feet - hard skin is their enemy. No creams or ointments in my case of course but if as worrying as the poster's condition - lubricating the skin with correct oils is a must. I reached my 80th birthday a few weeks ago - so I think I can talk with some authority on this subject. HAVE JUST REALISED THAT I HAVE GOT THE WRONG END OF THE STICK and that the poster does not have these problems yet(?) but I will leave my contribution to stand.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Marco78

Marco78 · Newbie

Most diabetic foot ulcer patients may be unaware that Cuban medication called Heberprot-P has cured thousands of people from inevitable amputation. Seen on doctorcuba soon available in the US expecting FDA approval.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook