No help what so ever?

DavidLov

I really need to get my diabetes under control but how can i without help
Last time i visit the dns/Doctor they just changed my injections to x4 a day and told me to x8 3x and 1 night one

I been getting readings of 15.
But sometimes it can go bit higher
and i have hypos doing correction doses :*(

I just hate my hospital/dns i think its time to ring them and get it all better =[

DavidLov

Engineer88 said:
Where in the world are you? Have you done DAFNE course?

i live in newport (wales) Dafne course i was meant to go on it but they never stuck me on it :(

I just rung them and broke down on the phone she said its best for me to see my doctor aswell because im suicidal :'(

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im from Gwent so I know the RGH very well. Try and get on the consultant Dr bizwas (sp?) always found her fantastic. Hope that helps.

Also for now why dont you get the carbs and cals book or app and see if you can start counting your meals to start out. Write evrything you do down (insulin BG and carbs per meal) and see if you can see any patterns.

DavidLov

Engineer88 said:
Im from Gwent so I know the RGH very well. Try and get on the consultant Dr bizwas (sp?) always found her fantastic. Hope that helps.

Also for now why dont you get the carbs and cals book or app and see if you can start counting your meals to start out. Write evrything you do down (insulin BG and carbs per meal) and see if you can see any patterns.

i was with her then she made me change doctor to my normal one, and now i get to go back monday yay sucks being diabetic but hopefully they'll help me out monday :p

She told me to check my sugars and stuff aswell and make a diary :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The DAFNE course is a great suggestions and there's an on-line version of it in the following link, you do have to register first but it should be of some use until such times that you enroll the course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Just one more thing, to ensure that your basal (background insulin) is right you should carry out some fasting bg checks, without your basal insulin being set at the right dose it's extremely difficult to get everything else right and you will continue to swing from high to low.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do try to get to a good DN and on a DAFNE course. In the meantime I agree with Noblehead and try to get your Basal right first. The simplest way is to adjust the dose to have a fasting reading first thing in the morning of around 6mmol. Be very careful in adjusting your dose i.e. do it in small steps and wait around 3 days before you make further changes. You need to avoid nigh-time hypos when adjusting your dose; ideally do some measures during the night. After that I personally believe carb-counting is the best approach for the Bolus; well at least it is for me and a DAFNE course would help.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I would measure your blood first thing in the morning with the 16x long-acting which you use in the evening. If it's between, say, 5 and 7mmol then it's about right but if it's not then some adjustment may be needed but as I said earlier do it in small steps over several days and seek the guidance of a DN if you can.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Fasting is not all day!!

Just say for the morning.. Skipping breakfast.. Next day delayed lunch etc...

When you think you are hungry drink water... There is a lot of info around that says when we think we are hungry that it is actually our body needing water... And water will satiate adequately.

If you cant ho without eating snything have a no/ low carb snack for breakfast... Bacon and eggs and check your blood...to see what happens... Check it 2 hours after the time that you would have normally ate.

It helps enormously if you are occupied foing sonething you enjoy to stop hunger pangs... The more bored you are, the more pangs of hunger can be felt..
Ie more snacks are ate watching tv yhan if you were actually doing something.. Whether its knitting, modelling, diy etc. the more active and good thinking you have... The less you will think of food and hunger....
Habits are also very hard to break... If you are used to having certain foods at certain times... It does make it very hard yo break that habit..

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The probem is david you cant currently match either what you are eating to the insulin or the other way around.

When you say you changed Dr what do you mean? your GP or consultant? Who are you seeing monday?

What time do you go to bed? do you get up in the night to snack?! if not test before you go to bed and then immeadiately when you get up, that should be about a 7 hour fast without trying :)

iHs

Hello David

The way to see if your basal dose is correct or not is to inject it whenever (at night?) but don't eat any food during the hours from midnight to 6 or 7am when you get up from sleeping. Ideally, get up in the night about 3am and do a blood glucose test just to see what your levels are. Ideally, your blood sugar levels should stay somewhere between 5.5 - 6.5mmol all night long. If your blood sugars are going towards being on 8mmol at 3am, you have to ask yourself if its because you've eaten a carb snack about 10.30pmish because your blood glucose was too low to go to bed on (3.5 - 5.5) and its that that has made your levels rise or if you haven't eaten a snack, do you need to increase the evening basal dose up by 0.5 to 1.0u and then with any luck, your 3am blood glucose reading will be a bit lower. If you stay up all night (nightwork?) you do unfortunately need to test bg levels and if you want to fast to test basal effect out on its own, you could possibly scoff loads of sugar free jelly?

Where basal testing is concerned, its important to note that drinking milk in cups of tea or coffee will alter bg readings, so you've got to take that into consideration when altering the basal insulin dose.

Using basal bolus insulins is not at all easy to begin with and that is why lots of diabetics have gained better control by using an insulin to carb ratio which can be adjusted to suit what bg level is ideal for you to achieve. The ONLY way of finding everything out though is by testing bg levels every 2.5hrs, writing down the amount of carb eaten and also the bolus insulin injected and then by dividing the amount of bolus insulin into the amount of carb eaten will be the ratio that you can use as long as the bg levels stay within healthy targets like 6 - 6.5mmol before eating food, then 2.5hrs later - 8.5mmol, then 2hrs later - roughly about 5 - 7mmol again. You just keep adjusting the insulin to carb ratios until you are able to achieve healthy bg levels. To work out a correction factor in case your bg levels are way above being ideal - look at the 100 rule (google 100 rule diabetes correction) and then you'll see how to use it. Until you are able to find out what your ideal Total Daily Dose is - TDD, work on a correction of 1u to lower you by 3mmol so if your bg level is 12mmol before eating food at a main meal time (not mid morning or mid afternoon), if you do a correction to get back to your ideal target of say 7mmol, you would need to subtract 7mmol away from 12mmol = 5mmol, so if 1u will lower you by 3mmol, you could give yourself a correction dose of 1.5u bolus and then then add that to your carb ratio dose and deliver the insulin in one injection.

Hope this helps you understand it all a bit better :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
donnellysdogs said:
If you cant ho without eating snything have a no/ low carb snack for breakfast... Bacon and eggs and check your blood...to see what happens... Check it 2 hours after the time that you would have normally ate.

During a fasting bg check no calories should be consumed, a low-carb breakfast of eggs and bacon will break-down to glucose (around 50% I believe) and skew any bg readings, the time to check bg when on basal/bolus is 4 hours after eating a low-fat meal.