No longer have Type 2 diabetes - Official!

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulation and keep up do not lose a hope .. I hope it happens to me too and be cured :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Cured is not a word that applies to Diabetes. Cured would mean that one would not be diabetic oi lifestyle, diet and weight changes were removed, glucose metabolism would be normal.

Reversed, or in remission is all we can aim for. That said, the medical outcome of achieving it is immeasurable

Reactions: 2 people

sarah

First of all, well done to the OP for achieving so much since diagnosis. You must feel on top of the world.

The OP has proved that lifestyle changes can radically improve BGs to the point where they are the same as non-diabetic levels but is this the same as a cure? I firmly believe remission and excellent control is entirely within grasp of many with T2. But without wishing to take away from anything you have done, it really is a fantastic achievement, I would be very wary of it being called a "cure" so I am glad to see that you're not calling it a cure yourself.

Additionally, the removal of T2 status from your medical records will presumably mean you will no longer get regular hba1c tests, yearly retinopathy screening and other checks T2s are entitled to. I am sure this is music to your ears in some ways and it could be argued that with your numbers, you don't need them, but it is certainly something to be aware of. I must say I am very surprised that a GP would do this.

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I have said before, I will be having annual fasting blood glucose and lipids blood tests, just as anyone who has been diagnosed with insulin resistance or pre-diabetes would and if/when it goes above 6.0 mmol/l closer monitoring will be introduced.

I have gone to great lengths to avoid using the word 'cure'. While I have found through self-monitoring that I can eat carbs without a high BG spike, something borne out by my latest HbA1c (I was actually expecting it to go up, not down after a not-so-good diet over the previous 6 weeks).

If I had not had that random blood test in September 2012, There is still a good chance I would have lost sufficient weight to have reduced the insulin resistance to a point that I would not now be diagnosed with T2.

I now know about T2, and the inevitability that it will come back with age or if I don't take care of myself. That puts me at an advantage over the many people in the same boat who have no idea they are at risk and have not made the necessary lifestyle changes to delay its onset..

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
:happy: Celebrate!
Well done! Thanks for sharing this great news with us, it gives all of us hope and encouragement.
I'm starting to get a greater understanding of how complicated the whole subject of diabetes is, but I know that a lifestyle change, as you have done, will always be beneficial, regardless of what point we are at.
Hopefully, the beta cells and the islets aspects of the pancreas will be subject to more study and possible reversals of damage, as time goes on. Then a real, "cure" might be possible.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that a lifestyle change, as you have done, will always be beneficial, regardless of what point we are at.

A very good point. Preserve what you have has to be a much better approach than that of some HCPs, 'there's nothing you can do about it'.

sugarmog

I am in a very similar position to the OP. I was diagnosed as T2 in July 2011. With moderate weight loss my, HBA1c was normal within 9 weeks. By the following June all tests (HBA1c, fasting glucose, C peptide, OGTT) were normal. My somewhat puzzled GP did offer to remove the diabetic code from my records but I decided against it so that I still get all the regular check ups. (and a free flu jab)

EllisB, which blood tests were used to confirm your current status? You mention that an OGTT was used for your original diagnosis, however you don't refer to one in your most recent set of results?

patticat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nosey, unkind and intolerant people; mushy-textured, doughy food
I have just got home from my last diabetes clinic (for a while)

Blood tests indicate that I am no longer diabetic and the doctor has removed the diabetes code from my medical record.

Cured? Not quite. I have lost nearly 25% body weight and made significant lifestyle changes. Reverse those and it will come back. With age it may also return, but for now I'm free of the condition.

It can be done!

Truly excellent - I'm happy for you!

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I am in a very similar position to the OP. I was diagnosed as T2 in July 2011. With moderate weight loss my, HBA1c was normal within 9 weeks. By the following June all tests (HBA1c, fasting glucose, C peptide, OGTT) were normal. My somewhat puzzled GP did offer to remove the diabetic code from my records but I decided against it so that I still get all the regular check ups. (and a free flu jab)

EllisB, which blood tests were used to confirm your current status? You mention that an OGTT was used for your original diagnosis, however you don't refer to one in your most recent set of results?

:D yeah, way to go! I love hearing this kind of news.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My somewhat puzzled GP did offer to remove the diabetic code from my records but I decided against it so that I still get all the regular check ups. (and a free flu jab)

A wise move. My diagnosis was only picked up because of annual tests in a separate clinic because of an earlier unrelated problem Had it not been for that, I may have gone undiagnosed for a long time. As it was, my HBA1c was quite high but, because I was diagnosed early, I was in a better position to do something about it. I'm all in favour of checks, afterall, I check the oil in my car, tyre pressure etc etc.

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sugarmog, the GP said I could have another OGTT if I wanted, but in his opinion, that would just measure how much insulin resistance remains. My self-monitoring has shown that I am handling even high GI carbs very quickly.

I considered whether I should keep it on my record (the free eye tests and flu jab would be good) but I don't really need any more monitoring than an annual fasting BG to monitor any future progression of the underlying insulin resistance.

EBT

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done and good luck just keep the attitude that you have beaten it no matter wot!!!!!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only way to really tell is to have an OGTT test, my ave BG is pretty low on the meter now (due my next hba1c next month I think) but no way I'd get a normal response to an OGTT.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My somewhat puzzled GP did offer to remove the diabetic code from my records but I decided against it so that I still get all the regular check ups. (and a free flu jab)

And GPs would have us believe that they are men of science. Simple curiosity ought to prompt them to see what the result would be. My GP was very firmly stuck in a rut, but prized out of the practice a couple of months after my diagnosis.

Sadly, many GPs are like this so the Mag Res team who did the research have put a letter together for you to take your doctor should you dicide to challenge his view. He has no reason to suppose that the OGTT would remain the same, none whatsoever. The Counterpoint Study shows improved insulin levels, raised to normal levels. That's what he should be measuring but he won't pay for it so the least he can do is try an OGTT.

Information for doctors

A

AnnieC

in the normaL RANGE
I don't see why you can't reverse it really. If your hba1c is low and stays low why are you still t2 I don't get it either all my blood sugar home tests 6 a day all below the level expected of a non diabetic. Weird

Yes this is what I have always wondered as very obese people with T2 are often told after they have lost a lot of weight perhaps due to a gastric bypass that they are no longer diabetic. If a T2 who has lost the weight with diet like many have on this forum and now keep their BG levels within the normal range for a non diabetic are they still T2 or would a doctor say they no longer have diabetes.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect there are still a lot of GPs out there who use the OGTT test because its on their diabetes diagnosis checklist, without actually understanding why it is used for initial diagnosis.

A friend of mine was also told he was no longer diabetic recently, when I questioned him about it it seems he was diagnosed without an OGTT and was placed on two different drugs( he could not remember what they were, but Om guessing one was metformin). His HBA1c were coming back as normal and eventually after 7 years they told him he was no longer diabetic. In fact it rather sounded to me that he was probably just very well controlled or that he never had it in the first place, there was no basis for deciding he was no longer diabetic other than the HBa1c, certainly no OGTT.

A

AnnieC

Blood tests indicate that I am no longer diabetic and the doctor has removed the diabetes code from my medical record.

Cured? Not quite. I have lost nearly 25% body weight and made significant lifestyle changes. Reverse those and it will come back. With age it may also return, but for now I'm free of the condition.

It can be done!
Congratulations you have really done well so good luck in the future

bettyday

But would it work

It can be done!
ork