No metformin

Clairslloyd

Have been told I can't start this until I get the results of the HBa1c test (which I was told to have done next week!!! and then wait until the week after to get the results :( ). Does this sound right????

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If the HbA1c indicates a low level why bother with Metformin ? Stay diet only if you can keep good control. Are you having a problem with your levels ?

Seems sensible to wait and see before going onto any Meds unless you need to.

Clairslloyd

Dont know about levels because they also wouldnt give me a monitor - only reason I thinks its too high is the headaches and falling asleep :(

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup - Metformin is the first line treatment for T2 Diabetes. Your initial dose will probably be 500g once a day, but this will be increased based on the results of your HbA1c, and how well you tolerate the Metformin.

If you're worried about the way you feel at the moment (tired/sleepy/sluggish etc...) you can drasticaly reduce these symptoms by cutting out/reducing the sugar and carbs you eat. Try avoiding:

Bread
Pasta
Rice
Cereal

for a few days and see how you feel.

Clairslloyd

Have already tried that Patch, but that doesnt really leave me much else to eat - apart from meat and cheese etc which is bad for my cholesterol and bp. It seems I can win - sorry to moan :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Clairslloyd said:
Dont know about levels because they also wouldnt give me a monitor - only reason I thinks its too high is the headaches and falling asleep :(

If you don't have a monitor then buy one....we are talking about your health here and you need to know what your Bg levels are especially after meals, you can't go around just guessing. You can also get one free by phoning up any of the manufacturers. Buy strips off ebay if you can't get them on prescription.

As for 'first stage' treatment for Diabetes ......diet alone is actually the first 'treatment', then if that doesn't work you get put onto Metformin. If you have tried the diet approach and it isn't working then you will have to have some Med's. Fact of life.

How long have you been on diet only, it can take a while for the effects of high Bg levels to come down and sometimes symptoms will continue until the levels normalise. Then you may start getting more energy back.

I also notice that you are on other non-Diabetic meds which can also cause lethargy and possible tiredness, so it isn't always the case that it is Diabetes related although it may be. Thyroid and other problems can also give similar side effects. Never assume it is always Diabetes related.

Get a meter and see what the readings actually are when you are tired. See your GP about the headaches as well.

Clairslloyd

Thank you for your reply. can you recommend a meter please as not sure what to look for. Am on meds for high bp and cholesterol but was getting headaches and tiredness before that. Will go for test tomorrow and see what happens. Feels like I have been on constant diet for years - even tried weight watchers which didn't work either. Try to eat loads of veg and fruit but because I am not working struggle abit with the cash situation. Do appreciate everyones help tho 8)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Here is a link to the Community page guides to Blood Glucose meters :

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care ... guide.html

I have had a number of meters over the years and they are all much the same but various ones do different things. You probably just need a simple meter. Contact each manufacturer by phone and just tell them you need to test a lot as you are newly diagnosed....... :wink: Most will usually be happy to provide one free.

This business about the headaches is disconcerting.....have you had any investigations into this ? Mention it to your GP when you go, it isn't something you should have to put up with. My ex had constant headaches and was prescribed medication which completely got rid of it. Bp and headaches including tiredness can also be a problem. Do you know what your BP levels are running at ? Eyesight can also be a factor if there is a headache problem. Get it checked out.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
162/123 is very high........I think you might need your BP meds increased. As Diabetic's the medical consensus is that we should try and keep BP below 130/80. Have you spoken to your GP about this ?

I am on BP meds and I know that if I forget to take them and BP goes high I get all sorts of problems, ringing in the ears, headache, sweating etc. Just a thought. My BP is usually around 110/70 most days with medication, forget and it soars. :(

Let us know how you get on with a meter etc. :)

Clairslloyd

Started RamiPril 5mg on the same day, got another app in 3 weeks. Have ordered a free meter from Accu Chk should get in a few days :) thanks for the tip