Type 2 No pasta, rice or potato? what instead?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Better to invest in a whole cauliflower and either grate it or use a food processor to make your own.. far and away cheaper and fresher too.

Morrisons sell it frozen - much easier and les mess/washing up. also great easy quick meal :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Morrisons sell it frozen - much easier and les mess/washing up. also great easy quick meal :)

Ocado do as well.
Can’t be doing with the faff and mess!
Just bung in microwave and done.

I’m very much someone that if something is work and I’m not in the mood (especially with food) I will just pick and eat rubbish. So the cheats are a lifesaver for me.

Reactions: Sue192 and kitedoc

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
butter nuts squash sheets instead of lasagne
konjac instead of noodles
celeriac instead of spuds
porky scratchings:)

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

I appreciate lower carbs is likely to be better for someone who is prediabetic.
But what happened to the advice to find out what works for you rather than banning a load of stuff?

The advice used to be test, eat, wait two hours, test again. If second test is more than 2 mmol/l higher than the first, this food stuff doesn't suit you. If the difference is less, should be ok.

In my mind, not only are the personal numbers more motivating but also you can find out what works for you: it has been said many times, many ways ... (sorry, I was about to launch into some Christmas song :)) ....we are all different.

M

Member496333

But what happened to the advice to find out what works for you rather than banning a load of stuff?

The advice used to be test, eat, wait two hours, test again. If second test is more than 2 mmol/l higher than the first, this food stuff doesn't suit you. If the difference is less, should be ok.

In my mind, not only are the personal numbers more motivating but also you can find out what works for you: it has been said many times, many ways ... (sorry, I was about to launch into some Christmas song :)) ....we are all different.

All true, but meal-to-meal testing manages the condition only in the immediate term. Metabolic syndrome takes decades to creep up, and sorting it out properly (not doing deals with meals and keeping your trigger finger on the meter for eternity) is very often simply not possible without drastic measures. Really though they’re not even drastic measures, you’re just removing the foods that your body was never happy with you eating in the first place.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speed of lowering Blood Sugar, reduction of possible damage and ceasing to trigger food addictions?
Those would be the main benefits for me.. (plus it saves a fortune in test strips!).
There are so many threads on people trying to find different bread types whereas its so much easier to just give up bread completely.
But that's just my way of looking at things which I will freely admit is not the way most people seem to view the world...

M

Member496333

Speed of lowering Blood Sugar, reduction of possible damage and ceasing to trigger food addictions?
Those would be the main benefits for me.. (plus it saves a fortune in test strips!).
There are so many threads on people trying to find different bread types whereas its so much easier to just give up bread completely.
But that's just my way of looking at things which I will freely admit is not the way most people seem to view the world...

Absolutely agree. I guess it depends if you want to keep surfing the wave of uncertainty from one meal to the next, seeing what you can get away with, or if you want to give up all that tedious stress and enjoy delicious food that you can eat with effective abandon and thrive.

We are all different indeed :)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely agree. I guess it depends if you want to keep surfing the wave of uncertainty from one meal to the next, seeing what you can get away with, or if you want to give up all that tedious stress and enjoy delicious food that you can eat with effective abandon and thrive.

We are all different indeed :)
Yes, but are you not being slightly perjorative? Again, it goes back to @helensaramay says, and it deserves to be repeated: we are all different. Since diagnosis I went cold turkey on carbs and have, by and large, kept it up although I have stalled on the bg levels. However, since then I have struggled on very low carb intake and have felt worse than I did when I found out what was causing my impressive tantrums (the only symptom I had - blood pressure and cholesterol were normal then and have stayed so). My face looks like the mask from Scream (i.e. sunken cheeks), my hair is thinning and a mess, and I generally feel below par. But. I found I could tolerate those Lidl protein rolls (yes, sorry @bulkbiker!) and one a day made a big difference to how I felt. And, yes, I know I can make low-carb/keto rolls but mine tend to end up as bricks. I am seriously in awe of those who have stuck to a very low/zero carb regime, and particularly in awe of those who are trying the carnivore way or who fast for a considerable time. It is so good to read how the LCHF has changed people's lives, but I just wish I felt as well as other members who have found that this way of eating works FOR THEM.

M

Member496333

Yes, but are you not being slightly perjorative? Again, it goes back to @helensaramay says, and it deserves to be repeated: we are all different. Since diagnosis I went cold turkey on carbs and have, by and large, kept it up although I have stalled on the bg levels. However, since then I have struggled on very low carb intake and have felt worse than I did when I found out what was causing my impressive tantrums (the only symptom I had - blood pressure and cholesterol were normal then and have stayed so). My face looks like the mask from Scream (i.e. sunken cheeks), my hair is thinning and a mess, and I generally feel below par. But. I found I could tolerate those Lidl protein rolls (yes, sorry @bulkbiker!) and one a day made a big difference to how I felt. And, yes, I know I can make low-carb/keto rolls but mine tend to end up as bricks. I am seriously in awe of those who have stuck to a very low/zero carb regime, and particularly in awe of those who are trying the carnivore way or who fast for a considerable time. It is so good to read how the LCHF has changed people's lives, but I just wish I felt as well as other members who have found that this way of eating works FOR THEM.

Yes indeed. Each to their own. In my view there are two paths to take - meal to meal management of the condition so that one can just about get away with it and keep treading water, or draining the pool with the abstinence apparoch. Each is a personal choice that we’re all free to make. People will naturally be proponents of the approach that works best for them - it doesn’t have to be viewed as an attack on approaches that work best for others. We can only speak for ourselves :D

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make cauliflower rice in the food processort, other than that, I tend to just have extra veggies, I don't miss potates, rice or bread at all :)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, ok. Getting a little peeved now. Actually, I don't miss pasta, potatoes, bread, pastries, biscuits, cakes and so on, although I fully admit that bread was the hardest to give up. Please note that I AM low carb despite the fact that those d*mn rolls made me 'surf the waves of uncertainty and tedious stress and tread water at the same time' and helped, and it is not making me feel as absolutely wonderful and top of the world as others. Yes, I do value my feet, eyes, and whatever else might fall off/give up, of course I bl***y do, especially as I have lived with very bad eyesight since I was born - don't tell me how devastating the loss of sight would be. Yes, some might be helped by the mention of the terrible damage caused by non-controlled blood sugars, as everyone's mind set is different; but please PLEASE do not think that others are stupid, lack common sense, blithely ignore those consequences, and couldn't give a t*ss about draining the NHS of resourses.

M

Member496333

Ok, ok. Getting a little peeved now. Actually, I don't miss pasta, potatoes, bread, pastries, biscuits, cakes and so on, although I fully admit that bread was the hardest to give up. Please note that I AM low carb despite the fact that those d*mn rolls made me 'surf the waves of uncertainty and tedious stress and tread water at the same time' and helped, and it is not making me feel as absolutely wonderful and top of the world as others. Yes, I do value my feet, eyes, and whatever else might fall off/give up, of course I bl***y do, especially as I have lived with very bad eyesight since I was born - don't tell me how devastating the loss of sight would be. Yes, some might be helped by the mention of the terrible damage non-controlled blood sugars, as everyone's mind set is different; but please PLEASE do not think that others are stupid, lack common sense, blithely ignore those consequences, and couldn't give a t*ss about draining the NHS of resourses.

Calm down. Please don’t mistake other people’s enthusiasm with apples as an attack on oranges. We all speak only for ourselves and share our own views and experiences. Apologies if I have offended but really this should be fairly obvious :)

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The OP had decided what they wanted to do and asked a very specific question that has been helpfully answered.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Courgette spiralised instead of spaghetti or pasta. Delicious fried with butter or garlic/herb butter.....

Rice up the cauli, put on greaseproof paper, sprinkle over some oil, and dried Mediterranean herbs and roast in oven at 180. Turn regularly and cook for about 25 mins... delicious..

Roast some sliced peppers.

Celeriac chunky chips- to die for!!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The substitutes I use are:

Potatoes: celeriac for most but I add some swede if I want to make mash

Rice: cauliflower and/or broccoli rice - most supermarkets have it ready prepared in the fresh veg section. I can't be bothered grating it myself as I find it comes out the wrong texture.

Spaghetti: konjac - comes in little pouches - usually in the pasta aisle but occasionally in the Free From aisle - do rinse thoroughly before use.

Bread: Lidl used to do a great substitute but since they discontinued their protein rolls i keep a loaf of sliced Hi-Lo from Sainsbury in the freezer (for use with boiled egg and soldiers) or experiment with the vast number of different keto 'bread' recipes on the internet - let me know if you fund a good one! I do agree that the need for bread in any form each day is worth fighting against.