Reactions: Prem51

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
"Even more surprising and amazing is that exercise before the meals made the subjects more carbohydrate intolerant - that is, it increased evening blood sugar levels,"
WHat a dreadful statement. What sort of exercise? That's critically important here.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh cripes, all of my exercise is done before my evening meal.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Study was over a 24 hour period "low Carb" diet still had 30% of calories from Carbs.
"Moderate-intensity" exercise consisted of walking for 2 hours at 3 miles an hour on a treadmill. Maybe less interesting..

Reactions: BeccyB

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Study was over a 24 hour period "low Carb" diet still had 30% of calories from Carbs.
"Moderate-intensity" exercise consisted of walking for 2 hours at 3 miles an hour on a treadmill. Maybe less interesting..

Totally agree 30% of what? I do eat more carbs than you do @bulkbiker and my macro comes out at roughly 25 - 30% depending - but that's from 1200 cals a day - about 80g of carbs a day - considered moderate low carb - but there is no indication of anything be it calories, grams of carbs per day etc.
to discourage exercise is shameful - exercise isn't just about bs numbers it's about all round better health

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree 30% of what? I do eat more carbs than you do @bulkbiker and my macro comes out at roughly 25 - 30% depending - but that's from 1200 cals a day - about 80g of carbs a day - considered moderate low carb - but there is no indication of anything be it calories, grams of carbs per day etc.
to discourage exercise is shameful - exercise isn't just about bs numbers it's about all round better health
Was the exercise statement in reference to my quip about not so interesting. I actually meant that the results of the whole study were less interesting once you read the paper. Especially when they describe a regular walking pace for fit women as moderate intensity exercise!
Also I haven't upped my exercise levels since diagnosis apart from a few swimming sessions in May, June and July but my levels and weight are still coming down. I think exercise personally is highly overrated as a means of weight control or for overall health but as always that's just my opinion. I remember the days when I spent many hours and thousands of pounds going to the gym and piled on the weight year after year.. it simply made me more hungry.. so I ate more one I'd finished. completely counter productive.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was the exercise statement in reference to my quip about not so interesting. I actually meant that the results of the whole study were less interesting once you read the paper. Especially when they describe a regular walking pace for fit women as moderate intensity exercise!
Also I haven't upped my exercise levels since diagnosis apart from a few swimming sessions in May, June and July but my levels and weight are still coming down. I think exercise personally is highly overrated as a means of weight control or for overall health but as always that's just my opinion. I remember the days when I spent many hours and thousands of pounds going to the gym and piled on the weight year after year.. it simply made me more hungry.. so I ate more one I'd finished. completely counter productive.
Erm crossed wires I think @bulkbiker - I was referencing the statement from the link about exercise before meals can increase blood sugar levels - this could encourage people to drop exercise if they are focusing on bs alone. - sorry for confusion reading back I could have worded it better - I was actually agreeing with you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erm crossed wires I think @bulkbiker - I was referencing the statement from the link about exercise before meals can increase blood sugar levels - this could encourage people to drop exercise if they are focusing on bs alone. - sorry for confusion reading back I could have worded it better - I was actually agreeing with you
No worries, my comment should have been tabulated to make it clearer. mea culpa

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
look if your going to say something just say it **** there it's said. :)

btw Humma is that a pic of you in your avatar. Been meaning to ask.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Very impressive makes me wish I could get down the gym.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't really do any exercise - but at nearly 75 and still working I guess I must be getting enough.

I plan to "retire" in January and then I suppose I will have to look for something to do.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Prefect

Type of diabetes
Type 2
http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/fitness-and-wellbeing/221797/Cutting-carbs--cutting-diabetes-risk Interesting to learn though though - "Even more surprising and amazing is that exercise before the meals made the subjects more carbohydrate intolerant - that is, it increased evening blood sugar levels," she added.

And another article in similar vein - http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/728397/Celebrity-low-carb-diets-help-fight-diabetes
http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/fitness-and-wellbeing/221797/Cutting-carbs--cutting-diabetes-risk Interesting to learn though though - "Even more surprising and amazing is that exercise before the meals made the subjects more carbohydrate intolerant - that is, it increased evening blood sugar levels," she added.

And another article in similar vein - http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/728397/Celebrity-low-carb-diets-help-fight-diabetes
I have first hand experience of a low carb diet I am type 2 and in May of his year I was told that I had to lose weight and I had to have a increase in my medication from 3 metformin , I said to the nurse I wanted to try diet and lifestyle changes first, she told me to try a low card diet I cut out bread pasta rice potatoes and all ready meals eat mainly chicken and salad as a main meal and a cookd breakfast eggs bacon and such the upshot is I have gone from 13 stone to 10 and my HBA1C 40 and checking my blood 2houres after eating is about 5.5 to 6 hope this helps anyone thinking of trying this diet. And I should I am71 and my exercise apart from the garden I walk my dog and go shopping

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Hmm this is a very poor study. Exercise is known to release cortisol a stress hormone known to increase blood sugar primarily via gluconeogenesis. Hence the elevated sugars could be a consequence of this rather than an intolerance of carbs. pinch of salt......elevated blood sugar after exercise can be controlled by eating a handful of nuts before exercise. not sure that works for everyone but it certainly does for me. either way exercise helps with insulin resistance and is very healthfull. not much good for weightloss though.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've noticed for me personally exercise make my blood sugar go down for a bit - ( i.e the first 90 minutes or so) but if I carry on after that then it starts to rise again.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Certainly is age 61 last year, diagnosed type1 age 13 49 years ago
Similar--age 63, diagnosed age 8, 55 years ago. Used to exercise all day, every day for training & work--although not anywhere near as much now. My belief is that the exercise contributed greatly to good control-hence no complications and still doing good!!!!