No test strips or lancets on the NHS?!!!

garythegob

The reason I asked if you were a driver, I drive, for my job and can easily cover 500 miles a day, the medication I am on can cause hypos, gliclazide and byetta, I am type 2, and the law states that I have got to test BEFORE driving, and every 2 hours if driving that long, that can mean I have GOT TO test 3 times in 4 hours, AND NOT ALLOWED TM DRIVE UNDER 5 mmol, if I am involved in an accident and it was caused by my diabetes going hypo my insurance is invalid, but that's not just me, that's ANY DIABETIC DRIVER ON MEDICATION that can cause hypos!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

controller

Please do not make this difficult by trying to put holes into what I have said.

If you are concerned that you are NOT getting what you are ENTITLED to, have you been to see your GP?

What has he/she said?

You / we THE BRITISH EUROPEAN PEOPLE are all covered by HHS Legislation! That is the Law.

Scardoc

Ah c'mon, leave the leave the political shouting at the door of the numerous political forums out there!

Bisto44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree Scardog ! This not the platform for politics !! It's supposed to be for help & advise not for spouting our political rants.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Show me the actual law that says we're all entitled to free test strips ? I only know of NICE guidelines. Thanks

Scardoc

In response to your questions Controller:

I have my diabetes under very good control.

The NHS has provided me with fantastic service since the day I was diagnosed (under Labour) to the present day (under ConDem).

My gut feeling is that people get "fobbed off" where testing strips are concerned because this country is broke. Diabetes is a political issue because of the money required to fund the treatment. Everything, essentially, boils down to a political issue. You clearly want to blame the present government for this and that is your prerogative. Set up a new thread on the issue.

You don't "say it as it is", you say it as you think it is. I'll express my political opinion at the ballot box.....if I'm not too busy sitting quietly and using lower case.

controller

LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE. IT IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY ME TO START A NEW THREAD; AND YOU CAN USE LOWER CASE - THAT IS YOUR CHOICE.

I WILL CONTINUE FIGHTING FOR THE MORE THAN 80% OF THE UK DIABETIC POPULATION WHO DO NOT HAVE THEIR DIABETES UNDER CONTROL.

WHY HAS THIS GOVERNMENT NOT SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THIS HORRIFYING STATISTIC??

AND WHAT POSITIVELY ARE THEY DOING ABOUT IT??

YOU CAN USE YOUR BALLOT BOX IN WHATEVER WAY YOU LIKE -THAT IS YOUR RIGHT. GO FOR IT.

THE UK IS NOT BROKE. THE "GOVERNMENT" IS AND STRUGGLING, UNWELL [INCLUDING DIABETICS] BRITISH TAXPAYERS ARE PAYING THE PRICE FOR IT.

NOW THIS IS VERY STRANGE INDEED, HOW CAN A BROKE COUNTRY FUND A FOUR BILLION POUNDS TAX CUT

DO NOT FORGET YOUR BALLOT BOX.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What steps have you taken? How exactly are you fighting? Sharing proactive steps that others could follow would be more beneficial here. With the greatest respect can I ask you to stop shouting.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Controller, why don't you pop round for some Salzburger Nockerl?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
kerrycakes said:
mo1905 said:
Unfortunately, there is no law that states you are entitled to test strips. There are NICE guidelines, but even theses have many grey areas. Generally, type 1's will get free test strips, amounts vary. Type 2's newly diagnosed will generally get strips, for a while. After that, some type 2's on any meds that can cause hypo's will get strips. Again, this is not always the case. I would suggest not screaming and demanding strips from your GP but try to reason with them and perhaps negotiate what you can. There will always be certain GP's that are more compassionate with diabetes than others though. Good luck to all !
See, this sounds much more sensible than shouting and stuff. It just annoys me when people come along, and shout abpit stuff and don't back it up with actualities. Also, being aggressive and shouting at gps could end in you being removed from the surgery, by police, and leave you in need of a new gp if you can find one who will take you...Js...

Good points above here . :thumbup:
Shouting or being aggressive in speech or stance wont have any positive effect .
Quite the opposite effect can happen and you can be asked to leave the property [surgery]

A calm reasoned approach will be heard and listened to 'more' .
What you say calmly and with a cool reasoned approach this will be heard with 'clarity'
and will carry a more positive vibe when spoken and expressed .

Anna.

Dislikes
Being disabled... & disempowered!
So... I met with my doctor today... & in response to my request for test strips etc on prescription... he said that patients on Metformin don't have hypos... so really don't need to test too regularly.

He also said that the Hb something, something test (can't remember the name exactly... sorry) was more telling & valuable if done once a month... because the latter gives him a sense of where my levels have been at during previous weeks. More useful to the medical profession that an 'in the moment' BGM.

This makes sense to me... kind of.

And... he did change my Metformin prescription to slow release... phew!! My bathroom, ar**e & I are grateful. Lol.

However... this does expose my numptiness. I thought that being on slow release would mean less tablets. I takes many meds for many other health issues. Oh how wrong was I. Lol.

Anyway, he's pleased with the physical benefits that me taking my Metformin provides. I have more energy... feel like a caged bird... which is a complete 360. I haven't felt this kind of 'ooomph' for years. Doctor also reckons that the physical 'up' can only support some improvement in my mental health too. I hope so. I've been - and still go - to some pretty dark places... almost daily.

So there you have it. My update. I still have SO much to learn :|

Love 'n' light -- Lucja

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
TheLovelyTarotLady said:
So... I met with my doctor today... & in response to my request for test strips etc on prescription... he said that patients on Metformin don't have hypos... so really don't need to test too regularly.

He also said that the Hb something, something test (can't remember the name exactly... sorry) was more telling & valuable if done once a month... because the latter gives him a sense of where my levels have been at during previous weeks. More useful to the medical profession that an 'in the moment' BGM.

This makes sense to me... kind of.

And... he did change my Metformin prescription to slow release... phew!! My bathroom, ar**e & I are grateful. Lol.

However... this does expose my numptiness. I thought that being on slow release would mean less tablets. I takes many meds for many other health issues. Oh how wrong was I. Lol.

Anyway, he's pleased with the physical benefits that me taking my Metformin provides. I have more energy... feel like a caged bird... which is a complete 360. I haven't felt this kind of 'ooomph' for years. Doctor also reckons that the physical 'up' can only support some improvement in my mental health too. I hope so. I've been - and still go - to some pretty dark places... almost daily.

So there you have it. My update. I still have SO much to learn :|

Love 'n' light -- Lucja

Good to hear you feel better ! Well done ! Glad your a**e is happier too lol :lol:

kerrycakes

Glad your doctor was helpful!

To controller, you still did not answer my question. I would like to know the EXACT law and the EXACT section that says that the nos has to legally provide the strips and lancets. Unless you actually know and can tell us your shouting and political arguments are worth zero. Seriously, if i went to the drs with such half formed shouting, id get nowhere, and we are all desperate to share your knowledge here...with almost based breath. So please, exact law and exact section please and Thankyou.