No test strips or lancets on the NHS?!!!

controller

I did say loud and clear that all British European people are Legally covered because the NHS exists under under LEGISLATION. you are legally covered in the UK and the EU!

Part of that overall LEGISLATION clearly states that delivery of ALL HEALTHCARE must be provided FREE.

Therefore you are entitled to test strips, medication etc. via your GP.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
controller said:
I did say loud and clear that all British European people are Legally covered because the NHS exists under under LEGISLATION. you are legally covered in the UK and the EU!

Part of that overall LEGISLATION clearly states that delivery of ALL HEALTHCARE must be provided FREE.

Have you tried shouting into your phone; it could do the trick. Good luck!

Time waster ! Same old story every post ! Very loud ! No content worth reading !

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
controller said:

Have you tried shouting into your phone; it could do the trick. Good luck!

That doesn't mean anything when it is down to a committee to decide what treatment is suitable and 'required' for each medical condition.

Among other things and T1 diabetes, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and in many areas of the country, it is deemed suitable for women with this condition to have laser hair removal free on the NHS due to the massive psychological effects of a female having excess facial hair... My GP told me that in my area of the country there are far too many OAPs taking up the resources so my 'lesser' medical requirement is pushed far down the list for funding (her words) and therefore I DO NOT get it free on the NHS.

It's not as black and white as you suggest it is and no amount of shouting about it is going to make any difference!

And for what it's worth, as a T1 I fully support T2s getting strips on prescription. It's ludicrous that you're expected to control your condition with a carefully controlled diet without the tools necessary to determine how that diet affects your body/blood sugar.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Controller that is a loose interpretation. All health care does mean health care as laid down by an individual's doctor. So if one doctor thinks a T2 patient needs strips and another doctor doesn't that decides whether the strips are free or not. It is a ridiculous, unfair and unbalanced system but there it is. I am T1 and also believe that all T2s should be allowed free strips etc. Diabetes is a difficult enough condition without having to play guessing games with it. I also support those on this thread who advocate a calm reasoned fact based approach. It is too easy to dismiss roaring and shouting as unreasonable over the top behaviour. A rational response to every obstacle is the best way forward in my opinion

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
deli di said:
Your case and others on medication that causes hypos and testing every two hours should get free testing strips and I hope you get them, but there are a lot of type 2's who can control by diet and do not need to test sugar levels to know what not to eat.

If you're denied test strips and are diet controlled, then you won't know how wrong the NHS official dietary advice is for diabetics as you will not pick up on the ridiculously high blood glucose levels following that diet gives. As a result, you will suffer more and more damage to your beta cells from having high blood glucose levels and will progress to needing medication.

Having a meter and discovering that the official diet was NOT working for me and discovering the low-carb high-fat diet which works was my turnaround... While following that NHS heart healthy diet after being diagnosed as having impaired glucose tolerance led to me putting on weight and becoming a full blown T2 and I was still putting on weight for the first two months after diagnosis as being T2 until I found this forum. The official dietary advice in the leaflets and on the DUK and NHS sites is deadly for T2 diabetics.

Thanks folks in here for pointing out to me to buy a meter and testing for myself.

controller

If you choose "loose interpretation" as the way you wish to translate what I have said about the Legality of the NHS and, access to it; go for it.

I hope that my SHOUTING as you put it, has got through to any politicians etc who has designs on interfering with the Legality of the BRITISH EUROPEAN PEOPLE'S NHS, e.g. privatisation, then I would have done something USEFUL. What have you done?

I do not know about you but I am very passionate about THE BRITISH PEOPLE'S NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE and, I am very Proud to say so. Or according to you to, SHOUT IT OUT LOUD AND CLEAR!

Every diabetic is entitled to free Testing Strips regardless of GP. He/she is there to facilitate and help every one not hinder / impede.

However, if you do not wish to challenge any GP, if they fail to do their job properly, that is your call.

Do you think that I should respond to anymore semantics or pickiness from you sir??

Do not forget your ballot box!

L

Luna21

In an ideal NHS world, all diabetics should get strips and a monitor, but the NHS is struggling, and as strips, quite wrongly in my opinion, are perhaps seen as an unnecessary prescription, I can see where the NHS is coming from in a way. There is only so much money to go around, and very difficult to choose between priorities.

My Health Authority will not prescribe strips for T2's so it's pointless to get angry with my nurse or doctor, I asked politely stating my case, they refused; They aren't the ones making the decisions. I do feel it's a huge missed opportunity for those who are motivated and really want to control their diabetes.

I don't work, but my husband does, so I budget to buy strips, which have been essential in my fight against this condition. I buy straight from the manufacturer, as I refuse to buy from ebay to line someone's pocket for swindling the NHS, when they are able to get strips free. However, I totally understand those who are on a really tight budget and choose to do so. It's my choice.
The problem is that the strips are entirely too expensive full-stop! If they were cheaper there would be less of a problem in supplying them, or for the patient to buy them themselves.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
@Controller, so many words yet so little useful advice. Whilst we all admire your passion, unless you can back up your comments with evidence, you're not helping anyone. You seriously can't be suggesting we all storm in to see our doctors and demand medication ? You're actually making things worse. Please, anyone following this thread, do not follow any advice that Controller has suggested.
When speaking to your nurse/doctor or consultant, be firm, polite, tell them why you feel self testing would improve your control etc and you will get much better results. Good luck to all ;-)

kerrycakes

Again you say under the law, but no specifics. I spent ages last night googling law, and i read a lot of interesting articles about the eu laws but all i could find under both eu and UK laws regarding anything close was the driving thing. Do feel i educated myself in lots of ways, on lots of different things. Even tried googling hhs that you mentioned and found nothing anywhere that covered in anyway that gps have to give us strips. All you keep saying is there us a law, but not telling us what law, so again i say, you are encouraging people to go and shout with a half formed arguments, with no specifics to back up what we are 'supposed' to say. In my opinion.

jennie k

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No test strips my dr has never ever given me a monitor or test strips I've always had to but my own so hence I just can't afford to do blood tests very often I do it about 4times a month unless I don't feel to good the dr said that people would over use them

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its getting crazy for me at the moment, the last repeat prescription I put in for lancets as I forgot to request them last week when I asked for strips. Went to pick up the script and the bag was bigger than expected, upon opening the bag not only had the lancets, but another repeat of the strips and a box of 5 mm pen needles.

Only snag is I don't use pens or needles, ended up leaving them at the chemist, will have to ask the doc why they were added. Its gone from having the strips being removed from the repeat and told not to test, then having to justify why I needed them, to them dishing them out without being requested.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I think someone needs a chill pill. You can actually these on the NHS and free if you have a medical exemption card/certificate! This is based upon the truth and is 100% factual, based upon my own personal experience and not some utopian scheme that I have dreamt up. Fact.

:)

No room for politics on here, persistent offenders should be told to persist off!

Mart

judithamilton

My doc will prescribe strips, but nurse recently advised to cut testing to 'about once a week' - what on earth would be the point?
As far as I can see testing only makes sense if you can do it frequently enough to analyse your blood glucose pattern and then monitor it, taking corrective action if necessary. If it's true that diabetes is progressive, then monitoring it properly through a few days, even if only every few weeks/months, seems sensible.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
martwolves said:
I think someone needs a chill pill. You can actually these on the NHS and free if you have a medical exemption card/certificate! This is based upon the truth and is 100% factual, based upon my own personal experience and not some utopian scheme that I have dreamt up. Fact.

:)

Mart
Fact only if you are T1. We T2s have to play the postcode lottery or ante up for strips ourselves.

Stormylady

I have been refused test strips, lancets, and had to buy my own monitor! Almost 3 years now since diagnosis,(type 2) and I've never had any on prescription, my GP surgery just will not prescribe, not sure about people with type 1. I live on benefits, and widows pension after losing my husband nearly 10 years ago, (he was 50, I was 46). I also have care of my grandson, who is now 17, (but unemployed at the moment). But I still cannot get anything on prescription. :(

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Fergus - I said 'free if you have a medical exemption card/certificate.'

There's nothing to argue about, mate.

I know band 2's have to chance it with where they live. Take it up with your local councellor or the government. I don't make the rules. My dad and cousin are T2 and they get free prescriptions. I'm on 20 odd tablets a day amongst other treatments, including insulin. I am grateful to have the card, but am not gloating and agree it's an unfair system.

Good luck

Mart.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
My own personal feelings are that anyone who has to test regularly, should get them free. I feel for you all who don't get this opportunity. It is NOT fair.
NB: there's a ballot post on the front page re: testing strips. I can only suggest we all take a minute out of our busy schedules to address this in an appropriate and dignified manner, which may be considered. Shouting at medical staff will ensure your demands fall on deaf ears. This is the perfect vehicle to get our opinions across sensibly and without the need for querrelous, disparaging and maybe upsetting remarks. I know it is frustrating, but I honestly see this as the way forward at this moment in time. I know it is a very sensitive issue and upsetting for anyone.

I hope it ends up on the right desk at the right time.

Thanks to the mods for enabling a collective, potential bargaining tool. :)
I'm sure we all appreciate it.
Keep up the good work guys.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I apologise - the poll was emailed out ax 1803 to me. Check your inboxes and get clicking, it doesn't take long :)

Mart