noCrbs4Her

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for these links, @librarising ! Really interesting food for thought!
(.....if you'll pardon the pun!)
:):):)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat very few carbs and it's the way I stay healthiest.

Lately my only carbs are from 4 asparagus spears, 2 or 3 large brussel sprouts, an avocado and a couple macadamia nuts. I don't however eat loads of protein. I don't need it. The avocado and fats fuel me. I eat protein at two meals averaging about 5 oz between the two and lately a little cheese with my pre dinner cocktail.

I eat high quality food and find I don't need nearly as much as I used to or thought I did. The avocado fills a huge gap for satiety.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, Kelly is quite the legend in the zero carb community. She's had 3 kids since she started following a zero carb diet. She actually eats mostly McDonalds hamburger patties. I started zero carb after reading a story about her in the Daily Mail. So far, based on my experience of more than 2 years zero carb, as well as following other zero carbers' experiences, it appears that humans don't need plants of any kind in their diet to be healthy. Nor is it necessary to eat organ meats. Just beef muscle meat will keep you healthy.

Reactions: Ultramum

ghost_whistler

I would be surprised if this woe works for most people, i have to say. there's always outliers, and if it works for her then fine, but to eat completely meat only seems very unlikely.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would be surprised if this woe works for most people, i have to say. there's always outliers, and if it works for her then fine, but to eat completely meat only seems very unlikely.

It depends on whether or not you choose to believe the links to bowel cancer.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/red-meat.aspx

I'm sure @NoCrbs4Me has similar studies in Canada, or links to the UK NHS to have read it previously.
It's also been in the UK Daily Mail on and off.

In fact , it was mentioned (not red meat specifically, but casting the net wider) in a recent study.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/42-country-study-fascinating.122605/#post-1493894

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I assure you, it is quite a healthy way to eat. Why wouldn't it be? And what do you mean by "works"?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm another advocate of being in ketosis continually otherwise I would be either very ill or very dead!
Eating meat is healthy.
But I do have the odd salad vegetables with my protein.
But fresh meat proportionally controlled and good exercise is a prerequisite for good health!

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

ghost_whistler

I assure you, it is quite a healthy way to eat. Why wouldn't it be? And what do you mean by "works"?
I think we know what the word means.

I'm just giving my opinion. I think it's extreme. But if that's how you want to eat go for it. I just feel you would struggle to meet your vitanutrient requirements from meat alone. How would you get enough electrolytes for instance?

ghost_whistler

It depends on whether or not you choose to believe the links to bowel cancer.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/red-meat.aspx

I'm sure @NoCrbs4Me has similar studies in Canada, or links to the UK NHS to have read it previously.
It's also been in the UK Daily Mail on and off.

In fact , it was mentioned (not red meat specifically, but casting the net wider) in a recent study.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/42-country-study-fascinating.122605/#post-1493894
I wasn't specifically referring to bowel cancer, more to the question of how to get enough vitanutrients.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I'm just giving my opinion. I think it's extreme. But if that's how you want to eat go for it. I just feel you would struggle to meet your vitanutrient requirements from meat alone. How would you get enough electrolytes for instance?

For reasons unknown, my body has adjusted to a ketogenic lifestyle with only positives. I do not take any supplements or need them. My health has improved so much and all the tests done since starting including a full blood panel showed no vitamin deficiency or effects from my diet. I do eat different proteins and I believe I get quite a few from salad vegetables.
I suppose I have found my balance of protein and other foods that are just right for me.
As long as my pancreas behaves, I will be around for some time!

I wouldn't be if I wasn't in ketosis!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Sorry, I think "works" is a little vague and could mean different things. Many people eat this way and many have done it for many years (without supplements) and maintained excellent, even optimal, health. The short answer is that meat has all the nutrients a human needs. I certainly don't have an electrolyte deficiency or any other micro- or macronutrient deficiency that I'm aware of.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
For reasons unknown, my body has adjusted to a ketogenic lifestyle with only positives. I do not take any supplements or need them. My health has improved so much and all the tests done since starting including a full blood panel showed no vitamin deficiency or effects from my diet. I do eat different proteins and I believe I get quite a few from salad vegetables.
I suppose I have found my balance of protein and other foods that are just right for me.
As long as my pancreas behaves, I will be around for some time!

I wouldn't be if I wasn't in ketosis!
I don't think this thread is about a ketogenic diet, though. "Zero carb" means no plant derived food - i.e. meat (beef, poultry, sheep, etc).and seafood only. So the term "zero carb" is not to be taken literally, as there are some carbs in animal derived food. Of course, zero carb is likely to be a ketogenic diet, but that's not really the purpose of the diet.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Odd fact
Doesn't 'work' if you eat exclusively rabbit meat though.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Very interesting blog. Thank you for the link.