Nocturnal Hypo’s

Becca6510

Hey guys!

So recently I’ve been having a fair few nocturnal hypos. It’s mostly my fault, my basal is fine but I think I’m over correcting to bear bedtime. However what’s concerning me is that I’m quite hypo aware when I’m awake, but I don’t seem to be waking up when I’m hypo when I’m asleep! If I do its when it’s like 2.0 or lower. Last night I was hypo for 5hours according to my libre! I’m a bit scared to be honest! What’s everyone’s experience in this? I’m hoping once I get a pump it might help, do they have alarms when you get too low?
IMG_3253.jpg

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Becca6510 Asking the obvious questions first, are you checking this against your blood glucose meter ?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Becca6510 I would suspect that that is a "compression" low caused by you sleeping on the Libre. As @Juicyj has said did you check against a BG test?

Becca6510

Hey! Well not in the middle of the night as I didn’t wake up for the low but when I woke up and it said 2.6 on the sensor I checked and it was 3.0 so it’s only a little outs

Reactions: Knikki and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Is this happening every night? Maybe set an alarm for 3am and check Bgs with a finger prick. I know its a PITA but its the only real way to find out if it is a compression low or not

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Becca6510 Libres are well known for reporting false lows during the night due to compression as mentioned by @porl69 so unless you're waking up with the 'hangover' feeling, it's safe to assume it was reporting a false reading, I have had many when I used the libre, so unless you can verify it with a BG meter reading then you should be fine. Also agree with Porl to set your alarm for 3am and to check with your meter.

Becca6510

Hey, yeah think I will. It’s not happening every night but it’s weird that I was indeed hypo when I woke up which makes me think it was a true low. Just not waking up, feel like I haven’t slept. I’m a little anaemic too so doesn’t help!

Reactions: porl69

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a problem with hypos during the night, but mine got more serious than yours.
Get a miaomiao, and use your phone for alarms. At least you'll get to wake up when they're happening, and be able to do a finger prick test to work out if it's a proper low or not. If it is a proper low, you've been saved from a potential serious problem.

Becca6510

I had a problem with hypos during the night, but mine got more serious than yours.
Get a miaomiao, and use your phone for alarms. At least you'll get to wake up when they're happening, and be able to do a finger prick test to work out if it's a proper low or not. If it is a proper low, you've been saved from a potential serious problem.

When you say yours became a serious problem? What happened? I just can’t afford a Miao Miao at the moment

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say yours became a serious problem? What happened? I just can’t afford a Miao Miao at the moment

I've had quite a few serious hypos, resulting in fits and my wife giving me the glucagon injection. They're painful, scary for others, and generally bad for me. The miaomiao has sorted this - I get worken up if I'm too low.