Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I received my T2D diagnosis in late May, the nurse also mentioned that one of my Liver Enzymes was high, and this may signify either:
a) I had non alcoholic fatty liver
b) alcohol fatty liver
c) something far more sinister.

Given I am overweight, 49 and had a Ha1c score of 80, and am not a heavy drinker - I knew the odds were likely it was NAFL.
As soon as the diagnosis came in, I switched to a low carb diet, and my weight, blood glucose and blood pressure have all dropped.
A second blood test was ordered six weeks after the first, and the GP spoke to me on the phone to tell me the elevated liver enzyme had been cut in half, and that given the changes I made to my diet had such a good effect, he wouldnt recommend any further treatment other than testing it again in 3 months time.
I'm obviously chuffed with this - it's a nice early signifier that my diet change has really made a different.

My question though is: does anyone know more about these liver enzymes that can signfy NAFL? What's a good score, what's a bad score etc? I've tried looking it up, but the studies get very technical very quickly. I need an explanation like I'm 10 years old

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, your hard work is paying off, sorry I’m not great on the technical stuff either but there some very clued up members who I’m sure will be along to help with your question soon, again we’ll done!

Reactions: Mr Hairyman

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you looked at the NHS website about NAFL?

Liver function test​

When the liver is damaged, it releases substances called enzymes into the blood and levels of proteins produced by the liver begin to drop.

By measuring the levels of these enzymes and proteins, it's possible to build up a picture of how well the liver is functioning.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My question though is: does anyone know more about these liver enzymes that can signfy NAFL? What's a good score, what's a bad score etc? I've tried looking it up, but the studies get very technical very quickly. I need an explanation like I'm 10 years old
Maybe @JoKalsbeek knows about those technicalities. :)

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you looked at the NHS website about NAFL?

Liver function test​

When the liver is damaged, it releases substances called enzymes into the blood and levels of proteins produced by the liver begin to drop.

By measuring the levels of these enzymes and proteins, it's possible to build up a picture of how well the liver is functioning.
Yep cheers. I haven't been formally diagnosed with NAFLD, but had my enzyme numbers not dropped, I suspect I would have been sent for a scan and formal diagnosis. I'm just curious to see how high my number still might be and what I need to get it down to.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just curious to see how high my number still might be and what I need to get it down to.
Maybe ask your GP these questions as I’m sure he’s seen your actions have had a great result and will want to encourage you to continue

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
When I received my T2D diagnosis in late May, the nurse also mentioned that one of my Liver Enzymes was high, and this may signify either:
a) I had non alcoholic fatty liver
b) alcohol fatty liver
c) something far more sinister.

Given I am overweight, 49 and had a Ha1c score of 80, and am not a heavy drinker - I knew the odds were likely it was NAFL.
As soon as the diagnosis came in, I switched to a low carb diet, and my weight, blood glucose and blood pressure have all dropped.
A second blood test was ordered six weeks after the first, and the GP spoke to me on the phone to tell me the elevated liver enzyme had been cut in half, and that given the changes I made to my diet had such a good effect, he wouldnt recommend any further treatment other than testing it again in 3 months time.
I'm obviously chuffed with this - it's a nice early signifier that my diet change has really made a different.

Hi, I too had one Liver Enzyme that was high when diagnosed to T2D (unfortunately I lost the note of which one it was and what the level was.
I too went Low Carb which fixed both my T2D (remission) and my NAFLD (according to the enzyme level).
Personally, unless you plan on testing if for you a remission is actually a cure, then I wouldn't concern myself about it. But some people insist it is and that they can now eat as before diagnosis, in which case fatty liver is something to watch out for!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I has similar.. when diagnosed actually had an ultrasound done which confirmed fatty liver

However since treatment started blood and urine samples have returned to normal