Non-fasting BS test is this Right/Normal

Sue Morton

I have received my appointment to see the DN nurse (my 6 months review) and was asked to make an appt to have my Blood Test done as a non-fasting one.

When I phoned up to make the appt I queried this and the reception told me that they sometimes do this but this doesn't seem right to me. :?

I have only read on here about the testing being fasting is a non-fasting test normal can any one advise me? :?:

How can they get what my BS has been over the period if they don't do a fasting test :?
Many thanks
Sue :)

navrally

I was diagnosed as T2 in December and today was the first routine blood test in readiness for an appointment with the DN in a week's time. Like you I queried with the DN if they wanted a fasting test or not. I was however assured by my DN that I did not need to fast for the test. In the event I went before breakfast today and had not eaten or drunk for 8 hours so it ended up being a fasting one anyway.
:?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
An HbA1c does not have to be fasting as it is an average over 3 months.

However, the test is usually taken with the Cholesterol blood test and this is a fasting test.

Are you only getting the HbA1c done without the Cholesterol blood test ?

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
its normal for hb1c test
Yes and i always have breakfast non fasting hb1c

My nurse draws some blood off this is sent off to be tested (3<>4 days) in my area
she will prob take your BP and put you on the scales and take urine sample off you
all the same time mine does

I go back after 3,.4 days norm the following week to see GP and talk over the results

I also always have my Cholesterol blood test with same blood sample (non fasting) :?:
No fasting' for cholesterol test see below
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8353510.stm

for HB1c info see

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/what_is_the_hba1c.htm#when

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Whilst HbA1c is NOT a fasting test you may be asked to fast for other things.

At the moment there is no consensus regarding fasting and non-fasting tests. If in any doubt the person should ask whoever has ordered the test what the instructions for them are. Nobody should assume that just because something in a BBC article tells them it isn't required that that is what all HCP's all over the UK want.......The particular HCP who requested it may well refuse to take a sample for the test if the conditions were not complied with. Their conditions. There is no 'blanket' consensus.

If you are having other tests done from the same sample it may well NEED to be a fasting test. At present I quite often have Serum Glucose, Plasma Glucose, Cholesterol/Trig's and HDL done as a fasting test. That is what my Endocrinologist wants........other HCP's in other areas may not.

Do not assume anything from what you read here.......check with the appropriate person before undergoing any test. Common sense really.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
OP was told Not to fast ?
If you do not need to fast, your healthcare professional will let you know.

I was pointing out that I Never have to do any fasting blood tests
I have full bloods tested every 8 weeks ,for HB1c diabetes and other Drug treatments
inc liver kidney function cholesterol uric acid :roll:

ref:cks.nhs.uk/
http://www.cks.nhs.uk/cvd_risk_asse.../assessment_of_cvd_risk/screening_blood_tests
A non-fasting sample is acceptable for measuring total cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Collect non-fasting blood samples for cholesterol and glucose tests at the same time.

Ref;nursingtimes
http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing...s-not-necessary-says-research/5008426.article

Interesting to know how many need to do the fasting hb1c / cholesterol test?
and how many do the non fasting hb1c / cholesterol test ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Actually the OP questioned the instructions........she had been told what to do.

So that is what should be done in this case. It matters not how many links you post about it...the simple fact is if someone tells you to not fast OR to fast then that is what should be done. Makes no difference what we each do and what is done in other areas, or what we personally think should happen.

It is what the HCP wants that matters not what ANY of us think should happen. :roll: :wink:

Oh BTW......in the CSK/NHS link you posted if you look under the info you posted it says this :

A fasting blood sample is required before starting treatment to obtain a full lipid profile (total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and triglycerides).

As I get a full Lipid Profile on a regular basis that is what happens for me, however not everybody gets this though. Depends on the HCP.

josie38

Hi sue,

Yes they can do non fasting blood tests.

I have had non fasting blood tests done in the past. I have T1 and when i go to the hospital to see consultant, they ask for a hba1c to be done and it is usually middle of morning so it would be non fasting.

They get an average over a period of, i think, 14 weeks but they can tell what is whether fasting or non fasting. So they can do the test anyway.

Hope this helps but aske the nurse when you see her what difference is.

Hope it goes well.

Josie

Sue Morton

Thank you every one for your replies. I am not worried now as I was confused and didn't understand whether you could get the correct results as all my previous test were fasting and since its just been a year since I was diagnosed I haven't yet been asked to do a non-fasting one, and thought that fasting was the norm.

I don't normally eat after 7pm anyhow. From these replies I assume that cholestral will be done as its been said above that cholestral has been done under a non-fasting test. I will have my Blood taken and when I see the DN will discuss this with her in the meantime thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question it is appreciated. :D

All the best
Sue :)