Not doing very good at this

Ricky 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi diagnosed 14 Mar 2018 put on Metformin and started on 10 units of insulin slow acting (Humulin I KwikPen 100units/ml suspension for injection) now I'm up to 22 units a day as blood sugars were nearly always into double figures so after building up the metformin to 2000mg a day two am and two pm I constantly was on the toilet so they changed me to a slow release one and started the build up again today will be the first day of 2000mg of Glucophage SR problem is by 2pm I feel so sick I cant eat anything just the thought of food makes me feel so sick and of course having problems with blood sugar levels because I'm not eating enough although the toilet problem is a hell of a lot better than used to be just the off once or twice a week but have terrible constant foul smelling wind had two of my cats on my lap the other day and passed wind one got up and got off my lap instantly the other one stood up and tried to bury it in the chair.. I'm at a loss to what to do now fed up with feeling sick and smelling like a cat litter tray.(at times)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried cutting down on the carbohydrate content in your food? Has helped loads of people here.
Just be careful when taking insulin as your requirements may drop quite dramatically monitor often.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If the Metformin keeps giving you problems then agree with the nurse to stop it. It never has that much effect and the insulin should help more. Can I ask what your BMI is and whether you have reduced the carbs in your diet. Keeping the carbs down and having enough fat and protein to keep you feeling full should help BS and any excess weight. BTW metformin does affect your appetite and taste so this may not be helping you eat properly; this problem does fade over the weeks.

Ricky 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried cutting down on the carbohydrate content in your food? Has helped loads of people here.
Just be careful when taking insulin as your requirements may drop quite dramatically monitor often.
Thank you for your prompt reply I certainly will try and watch the carbs and will see what happens thank you.

Ricky 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If the Metformin keeps giving you problems then agree with the nurse to stop it. It never has that much effect and the insulin should help more. Can I ask what your BMI is and whether you have reduced the carbs in your diet. Keeping the carbs down and having enough fat and protein to keep you feeling full should help BS and any excess weight. BTW metformin does affect your appetite and taste so this may not be helping you eat properly; this problem does fade over the weeks.
Thank you to for your reply maybe I will talk to the nurse first see her 30th of this month seemed to be a long time since I was diagnosed but guess they are so busy..My BMI mmm 40.5 I am disabled so don't move around much because of chronic pain before all the stuff went wrong with me I was very active still overweight a bit but was always out on my motorcycles but since illness and lots of operations have piled the weight on and health deteriorated I'll talk to the nurse when I see her and try and eat a little better but trying to eat when you feel sick is hard today I had a small bowl of cornflakes with milk and no sugar, lunch time two pieces of grainy brown toast. Will post back in a few weeks to update thank you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Lack of appetite will be due to Metformin appetite suppressants.
For myself metformin pays no influence on my basal insulin rate but we are all different. As you aren't taking any bolus for your food it should play little part on your basal insulin need but monitor just in case your different.
Weight loss is the only thing which reduces my basal insulin need.

For being a newly diagnosed type2 you are doing very well. Reducing carbs provides less severe spikes or lows. A more steady bg history is what you should see.
Many loss weight on low carb meals.
I am also disabled and can only walk when on heavy pain relief. And very slowly.

Ricky 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Lack of appetite will be due to Metformin appetite suppressants.
For myself metformin pays no influence on my basal insulin rate but we are all different. As you aren't taking any bolus for your food it should play little part on your basal insulin need but monitor just in case your different.
Weight loss is the only thing which reduces my basal insulin need.

For being a newly diagnosed type2 you are doing very well. Reducing carbs provides less severe spikes or lows. A more steady bg history is what you should see.
Many loss weight on low carb meals. Are you a type2 which is overweight?

Yes I am a type 2, several weeks ago bloods were always 9 or under and no less than 6 but the toilet issue was severe that's when they changed me to a slow release metformin and although the sick feeling was there its a hell of a lot worse now on the SR ones, as for blood sugars weeks ago avg was 7.1 when I got up one hour after breakfast was 8.3 before lunch 6.1 one hour after lunch 7.5 things didn't look to bad I foolishly thought this isn't so bad.. then it went all to **** was going low at times 4.5 and other times up to 16
I do wonder if there is also some interaction with the other medication I take currently 28 pills a day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be really trying to stop eating carb heavy foods such as cereals and toast and get off the medication.
I put up with Metformin and a statin for five weeks before throwing them in the bin - if you are having to eat carbs to prevent going hypo that doesn't sound at all sensible.

Ricky 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be really trying to stop eating carb heavy foods such as cereals and toast and get off the medication.
I put up with Metformin and a statin for five weeks before throwing them in the bin - if you are having to eat carbs to prevent going hypo that doesn't sound at all sensible.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea maybe I'll try something else for meals I used to be an avid Atkins follower years ago lost shedloads of weight but when I had my first heart attack doctors told me to stop it ..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes I am a type 2, several weeks ago bloods were always 9 or under and no less than 6 but the toilet issue was severe that's when they changed me to a slow release metformin and although the sick feeling was there its a hell of a lot worse now on the SR ones, as for blood sugars weeks ago avg was 7.1 when I got up one hour after breakfast was 8.3 before lunch 6.1 one hour after lunch 7.5 things didn't look to bad I foolishly thought this isn't so bad.. then it went all to **** was going low at times 4.5 and other times up to 16
I do wonder if there is also some interaction with the other medication I take currently 28 pills a day.
Which basal insulin are you on? Some basals work better being split to stop them from failing at certain times.
Your basal and metformin may not be in sync. However this can be worked on. No rush but tweeks can get things alot better. Your just finding your feet.
Try reducing carbs but if your currently having 2s on a high carb diet then reduction in insulin is the only sure safe.
I guess with a very low carb diet you could probables end up meds free.
Could you manage a low carb diet and meds free?
You would have to do this slowly to prevent hypos and monitor heavily. Just til you get what works for you?

Myself I suffer with protein been converted into glucose in carbs absence so 150g carb daily works best for me. I'm on huge amounts of insulin. Both insulins and I was on metformin til I was diagnosed with IBS. I will try and go back on metformin asap. I really benefit from the hormone blocking as well as the appetite suppressant side of metformin. I'm currently hugely swollen not being on metformin too.

High carb diets give lows and high bgs. Low carb diets level those swings out!

Ricky 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for tour reply's there's a lot to take in at the moment but helps being able to post on here and get some answers suggestions and support thank you everyone who replied I will post again after meeting with diabetic nurse.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That doesn't sound like a bad idea maybe I'll try something else for meals I used to be an avid Atkins follower years ago lost shedloads of weight but when I had my first heart attack doctors told me to stop it ..
Odd really when you consider that Dr Atkins was a cardiologist..

Reactions: Petaluk and Freema

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Be prepared to ask the doctors why they challenged the Atkins diet after your heart attack. Views on fat consumption etc and the effect on the heart and circulation are changing rapidly and cardiologists disagree amongst themselves. It's important that any diet you follow helps you lose weight as that is vital for your diabetes and the risk of further circulation problems. Carbs are the main cause of both BS rise and weight gain so bear that in mind and some fat types are good for you.

Reactions: Freema