Not feeling well = high levels when testing

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Hi,

I'm well into my second year of being type 1 and so far everything's going ok I think - with relatively good control.

At the mo though, I'm slightly under the weather, nothing earth shattering - just a cold. However, when testing I've noticed that my levels have rocketed (16.6, 17.8, 15.2) and I'm finding it difficult to keep them down fearing hypo by over doing the insulin and I'm putting down to the cold for now - but my question is: Why do your levels go up when you're ill?

Any explanation or advice will be gratefully received as usual.

Best regards to all!

Dave

annettekp

My son's levels shoot up when he's ill, especially if he has a temperature. We use our sick day rules and give extra insulin.

Make sure you're testing for ketones when your levels are high like that.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is that when you have a flu or viral infection your body secretes cortisol and glucagon which both raise your blood glucose levels. You want to try and get those numbers down a bit by using some fast acting insulin. Keep testing often to avoid hypos and be careful of stacking insulin if you're doing corrections. Also start testing for ketones, if they get above 1.0 you want to contact your doctor or diabetes nurse for advice. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids too. Hope you feel better soon :)

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Wow - Thanks for such quick replies there. It's a relief to know it's not just me and a great explanation too! Much appreciated.

Dave

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Daver,
Believe me you are not alone with this, I am exactly the same though as a type 2, if it wasnt for this forum I dont know what I would have done.
Have had some great support and posts from fantastic caring forum members and they have helped keep me going!
See low immune system and antibiotics and illness raise the BG levels. In the ask a question site.
Hope this helps?
Anna.x :D