Not just an infection...........

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
19 days ago I hurt my arm on a bamboo cane whilst gardening. The injury was quite large, inflamed and infected, so GP prescribed 500mg of antibiotics for 7 days. It reduced in size, but it still hadn't cleared up. Tonight, I gave the 'scab' a pick ( but it was actually the piece of wood) and a gentle squeeze, this emerged from it:-
1476287823225.jpg 1476287863252.jpg 1476291174669.jpg A piece of wood, 15 mm long
I couldn't believe it, but I am so pleased it came out, it looked like something from an amature horror film lol, so hopefully now it will start to heal up and not leave too much of a scar..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm surprised your doc didn't notice this foreign object imbedded..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Crumbs bet that hurt RRB !! It must feel good knowing that you can heal properly now - hope it clears up soon x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm surprised your doc didn't notice this foreign object imbedded..

It was so inflamed and painful and GP mentioned a&e, but then suggested strong antibiotics, 500 mg for 7 days. I think it was too embedded at first and over time the piece of wood worked it's way out.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
thats quite a size :wideyed: hope it heals well now its out

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@Robinredbreast.. That is massive! I am surprised your doc didn't see that when he examined your arm..... He did examine it. . didn't he/she?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast.. That is massive! I am surprised your doc didn't see that when he examined your arm..... He did examine it. . didn't he/she?

Yes she did, she's a new GP I hadn't seen before, the injury was so tender and sore she examined it gently, prescribed antibiotics and then saw me two days later.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It still looks inflamed. Perhaps you should have it checked to make sure there are no more pieces of bamboo? That stuff tends to break into splinters easily. Also, possibly need more antibiotics?

Hope it is all healed soon, and admire the ability to photograph your own elbow so accurately.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yes she did, she's a new Gp I hadn't seen before, the injury was so tender and sore she examined it gentlyl, prescribed antibiotics and then saw me two days later.
Well you must be so pleased to have that out of your arm. (((((((hugs)))))))

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yikes, not looking good, hope it gets out and better in quick time.... and that the drugs work.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Thank goodness it is out!
It must have been really painful.

If the infection doesn't clear then you may have some dirt of fragments left in there.

But I really hope that doesn't happen, and you recover fast from now on. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow! Thank goodness it is out!
It must have been really painful.

If the infection doesn't clear then you may have some dirt of fragments left in there.

But I really hope that doesn't happen, and you recover fast from now on. :)

Thank you, I was told to keep an eye on it and any concerns, to go back to see the GP, I am sure it will heal up now :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It still looks inflamed. Perhaps you should have it checked to make sure there are no more pieces of bamboo? That stuff tends to break into splinters easily. Also, possibly need more antibiotics?

Hope it is all healed soon, and admire the ability to photograph your own elbow so accurately.

Thank you Pipp, a couple of photo's were quite blurred and as I can't used my left hand as well as the right, not much movement in the left wrist, I gave it go and the images are pretty clear :snaphappy:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do consider having it checked again though, @Robinredbreast . It looks very red and sore. Oh, and let us all know how it goes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was so inflamed and painful and GP mentioned a&e, but then suggested strong antibiotics, 500 mg for 7 days. I think it was too embedded at first and over time the piece of wood worked it's way out.

I used to get a fair few splinters myself back in the carpentry days.. They normally turned black & were easy to identify for digging out before it got too infected..?

Hopefully in your case it came out in one piece? Keep a closer eye on your BS levels..
Wishing you a quick recovery, without to much of a song & dance with the infection.! ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for asking Pipp.
I went to a&e because of the small lump. Had an x-ray, no more wood was seen, so after a discussion with two doctors, I am to go for an ultrasound next week, then go back after the result for a review. I was given another 7 day course of 500mg Flucloxacillin and my arm is looking better. I am glad I did go to a&e and I had great care from all that I saw that day, I couldn't fault them.

Reactions: Pipp and Jaylee

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
am very pleased RRB. Hopefully you should mend soon now. Glad it is good news. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for asking Pipp.
I went to a&e because of the small lump. Had an x-ray, no more wood was seen, so after a discussion with two doctors, I am to go for an ultrasound next week, then go back after the result for a review. I was given another 7 day course of 500mg Flucloxacillin and my arm is looking better. I am glad I did go to a&e and I had great care from all that I saw that day, I couldn't fault them.

That is good news, @Robinredbreast , though I am sure you are still sore, and more antibiotics is not much fun. I am glad you have had it checked out again, because it did concern me when I thought about it. Sepsis can set in very quickly in such circumstances. Not trying to scare you. You have done the right thing.

Having seen in a loved one how quickly even healthy young people can succumb to blood poisioning, those of us with diabetes need to be extra vigilant with wounds such as yours. Hopefully anyone reading your thread will be mindful of getting correct treatment, promptly, in such a situation.

Hope all goes well with the scan and further review, and that the recovery goes smoothly.