Not long diagnosed, am I expecting too much too soon?

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgive me if this is a long one, it's a bit of an introduction followed by a question.

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, about 3/4 weeks ago now. I went in about something else and my blood test revealed this, so it was completely unexpected! I'm only in my mid 30's so feeling quite scared about just how long I'll have to live with this and keep it under control.

My hba1c was 79 and second test to confirm was 80mmol. As it was so high the DN has insisted I take 1x 500mg of metformin to begin with. I found this forum while researching fairly soon after getting the phone call so I pretty much started low carb the day after finding out. I'm hoping going low carb will mean I'll be able to manage it with diet alone and come off the metformin eventually. I've been lurking and reading posts ever since, it's been so so helpful when feeling overwhelmed and helped me know where to start.

Surprisingly the DN gave me a blood monitor and prescription for the strips (having read so many posts I appreciate how lucky I am to have gotten one as a type 2). She has asked me to take 4 fasting readings a day, I'd take the 2hrs after meal's as well but I don't want to run out of strips.
When I started I was seeing 8's & 9's, I'm now seeing mostly high 5's, 6's and low 7's with the odd rare 4. Is this ok? I keep thinking mostly fasting 6's are still too high? I'm keeping my carbs at 50g max and more often between 30-40g. I've got a lot of weight to lose (started at over 22st!) so hoping the weight loss will help keep the trend going down too, already about a stone lighter

I also didn't realise how many symptoms I was having until they were gone!!

I do feel like it's some how my own fault for being so overweight and eating all the carbs under the sun. This is making it hard to tell people as well, I feel like I'll be judged and they'll secretly be laughing about how I brought it on myself. Did you tell people, like friends and extended family? Obviously close family know and have been very supportive.

Apologises for such an essay, I'm still trying to get my head round it all. Any advice appreciated.

mouseee

Sounds like you've made a good start.

I am nearly 3 months post dx with T2 and you are so right about living with symptoms you don't know are symptoms! I am symptom free now. My hba1c was 101 I'm very much hoping it will be less next time!

Others are better placed for bg info. I haven't even had my first DN appt yet! I don't test daily but only when I eat something new again or if I feel a bit funny so I can get to read my body and bg. I am happy if my pre food is 5 or 6.

If you don't want to tell everyone, don't. It's important to have some people who know though. You'll need people to speak to on not so good days and when you want to celebrate not eating cake!! I've been really open with people but I have a big family history of T2 so I blame them! I am overweight but only by a couple of stone. Also, a symptom of t2 can be weight gain and my weight went up considerably over the past year and I just couldn't shift it . I have lost 3 or 4 inches off my waist since the end of July. Metformin has helped my weight loss I think along with very low carbs.
Also, craving carbs is certainly one of the things that happened to me for the months before diagnosis. Got home from work and would pig out on carby food for an hour. Now I can't have them (and I know I can't as I've tested them) it is easier not to have them.

You've made a really positive start and this is a great place to pop in for a chat!

mouseee

Extra.... I would probably change to 2 before and 2 after meals readings. Then I could see what food was doing to me. I'm not sure what 4 fasting will tell you and they are not really fasting during the day. But, that's me and not advice!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive me if this is a long one, it's a bit of an introduction followed by a question.

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, about 3/4 weeks ago now. I went in about something else and my blood test revealed this, so it was completely unexpected! I'm only in my mid 30's so feeling quite scared about just how long I'll have to live with this and keep it under control.

My hba1c was 79 and second test to confirm was 80mmol. As it was so high the DN has insisted I take 1x 500mg of metformin to begin with. I found this forum while researching fairly soon after getting the phone call so I pretty much started low carb the day after finding out. I'm hoping going low carb will mean I'll be able to manage it with diet alone and come off the metformin eventually. I've been lurking and reading posts ever since, it's been so so helpful when feeling overwhelmed and helped me know where to start.

Surprisingly the DN gave me a blood monitor and prescription for the strips (having read so many posts I appreciate how lucky I am to have gotten one as a type 2). She has asked me to take 4 fasting readings a day, I'd take the 2hrs after meal's as well but I don't want to run out of strips.
When I started I was seeing 8's & 9's, I'm now seeing mostly high 5's, 6's and low 7's with the odd rare 4. Is this ok? I keep thinking mostly fasting 6's are still too high? I'm keeping my carbs at 50g max and more often between 30-40g. I've got a lot of weight to lose (started at over 22st!) so hoping the weight loss will help keep the trend going down too, already about a stone lighter

I do feel like it's some how my own fault for being so overweight and eating all the carbs under the sun. This is making it hard to tell people as well, I feel like I'll be judged and they'll secretly be laughing about how I brought it on myself. Did you tell people, like friends and extended family? Obviously close family know and have been very supportive.

Apologises for such an essay, I'm still trying to get my head round it all. Any advice appreciated.

Firstly a warm welcome to the best forum in the world! You have definitely come to the right place. You are already making great progress so whatever you are doing keep doing it! Well done on the weight loss.

You will see from peoples signatures that lchf works so well in controlling blood sugars and reducing hba1c. I've seen many start much higher than you and come down to non diabetic levels even without taking meds too. Well done on getting the testing kit on prescription. That doesn't happen often enough sadly.

Many of us feel shame when diagnosed, i know I most certainly did. Felt I had done it to myself for eating all the wrong stuff. Couldn't even tell anyone I was diabetic for weeks. Just said i had high blood sugars! Then once I started to gain control things inside me changed. The weight was coming off as a welcome side effect of #lchf and I felt confident to tell people I was diabetic. In fact I started telling anyone who would listen! And still do almost 2 years later. And I dont think for one minute its our fault. The food industry stuff sugar in our food, especially processed food, under over 60 different names. Hide it. Sugar is addictive. I thought my lifestyle was pretty healthy. Who would think a glass of fruit juice, cereal with skimmed milk and a slice if wholemeal toast would add up to 21 teaspoons of sugar! So don't feel guilty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817-191706_Drive.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 276

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, @Rocklobster. You've made a great start on getting your blood sugars down. Really well done.

Don't blame yourself for being diabetic. You didn't bring this on yourself and it's not your fault.

Some of us just aren't made to eat lots of carbs because our bodies can't process them correctly. Instead, in response to carbs, we tend to release excessive insulin, which turn any excess carbs into fat (which are then stored), all the while these high insulin levels prevent us from accessing our stored fat. So, some would argue that weight gain is a sign of metabolic trouble (rather than the other way around, i.e. weight gain causing diabetes).

So, a gold star for your success so far.

Last edited:

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do know what you mean mousee, it's not actually a fasting reading during the day and I really want to know how I'm reacting to food. I haven't been having breakfast as my morning reading is usually the highest and I'm just not hungry. I'm seeing the DN again this week so I'll ask whether I can change the structure of testing or have more strips.
I do wonder whether some of the weight was actually another symptom. I'm finding my appetite has reduced so much. Thanks for the reply it's really nice to hear other people's experiences and know I'm on the right track, hopefully!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes. Many say they had no symptoms before diagnosis. In my case I had some and developed more. Eventually LCHF lead to their reversal.

Reactions: Debandez

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do know what you mean mousee, it's not actually a fasting reading during the day and I really want to know how I'm reacting to food. I haven't been having breakfast as my morning reading is usually the highest and I'm just not hungry. I'm seeing the DN again this week so I'll ask whether I can change the structure of testing or have more strips.
I do wonder whether some of the weight was actually another symptom. I'm finding my appetite has reduced so much. Thanks for the reply it's really nice to hear other people's experiences and know I'm on the right track, hopefully!
Welcome and well done on a great start and attitude. I’d agree tell who you are comfortable telling but please don’t feel shame. We all do a little thanks to the media portrayals but weight gain is as much as symptom as a cause and the constant advice to eat carbs is a major factor.

I’m optimist that your nurse (who after all is wise enough to provide testing equipment) understands carbs and how a type 2 can test the effects of food and therefore adjust diet but go prepared to explain how you want to use it and why and what benefits it’ll give you just in case. Many only understand the use for fasting levels and insulin dosage and as you say before meals during the day isn’t actually fasting or achieving anything much as it’s not truely fasting and it’s not for insulin dosing. Far better to find out what each meal is actually doing to you for education.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Your body is responding really well to the changes you have made. There is no reason why your results should not be in the normal range at almost a time of your choosing by continuing with your methods (many 3 - 6 months, some up to a year, some very close (pre-diabetes)). The carb pull is extremely strong and you may slip, great if you don't as in my opinion it causes heart ache, and it is better to concentrate on what your body likes.

Most Type 2's are unlucky and lucky at the same time. Unlucky but almost inevitable to get Type 2 diabetes in the high sugar / carb environment - it is like trying to avoid a cold with everyone around you sneezing. Lucky that if selected most Type 2's respond how you have and if continued remission is quite possible. When you get there, prepare yourself for the equivalent for the Apple in the Garden of Eden, by way of an analogy to high carb "goodies".

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the welcome Debandez. I really hope I can shake the shame about it all. This forum has been brilliant for me already. If I'd followed the nhs advice I'd be eating five small meals a day with a carb base and low fat. I'm so grateful so many people have shared their lchf success at controlling blood sugars. I just can't imagine having another go at the eat well plate or weight watchers style dieting, I was always constantly hungry on WW so lchf is a revelation to me to be losing weight more as a side effect and not feeling hungry!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the welcome Debandez. I really hope I can shake the shame about it all. This forum has been brilliant for me already. If I'd followed the nhs advice I'd be eating five small meals a day with a carb base and low fat. I'm so grateful so many people have shared their lchf success at controlling blood sugars. I just can't imagine having another go at the eat well plate or weight watchers style dieting, I was always constantly hungry on WW so lchf is a revelation to me to be losing weight more as a side effect and not feeling hungry!

The eatwell plate, dont get me on that one! I sent this email earlier to diabetes uk. We live in hope things will change. Thankfully you are one if the lucky ones that headed to Google for info (me too, input reversing diabetes and luckily that brought me here).

My email to DUK

'I have a question please. Who wrote the current prediabetic and diabetic guidelines on your site and based on what evidence?

The guidelines encourage starchy carbs with each meal and low fat. Pasta, rice, potatoes bread cereals fruit juice.

3 macros. Carbs, protein and fat. If you advice low fat people will be left with 2 choices. Both which turn to sugar but carbs much moreso.

I and 1000s of others in the UK have put our diabetes in remission by following a low carb high healthy fat way of eating.

The diabetic community is getting increasingly angry at the advice which does indeed make the disease progressive leading to many complications and early death.

You only need a blood glucose monitor and a diabetic to see your guidelines are totally wrong and making us ill!!!

I look forward to your reply

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you ziggy_w. It's interesting to wonder how long my body has been struggling and think weight gain may well have been a symptom. I guess it's hard to accept because for years I've told it's entirely my own fault!

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HSSS I'm hopeful my nurse is a bit more switched on about things. She phoned with the news so I didn't see her for a few days initially. When I did see her I'd already started eating low carb and told her I had. She seemed positive about it and did tell me other patients had achieved remission by making similar changes. She then went on to give me the nhs advice about carbs and eating 5 snall meals a day - so who knows at this point how understanding she is. I was just happy to get the meter as I'd prepared myself for a battle over it. I had a good cry in the car on the way home, it all felt very real by that point!
If she's not happy for me to change my testing structure I'm considering buying some of my own strips to be able to test after meals. I so want to be one of those people who can put it in remission but I feel I need a clear picture of what happening to do that.
Thanks for the reply, it really is reassuring to read through them all

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mbaker thank you, I do know what you mean about the carb pull. At the moment I feel fine about it even though we still have a lot in the house and I have even had to prepared food I can't eat for my kids. It's almost like it's not even a choice to avoid them, the alternative is making the illness worse and I'm just not prepared to do that. I imagine they'll be times where it's harder than it feels right now.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Listlad - so many symptoms! Who knew I actually don't mind waking up after all and all the drinking water wasn't just because it was summer, plus I thought my bladder was just fed up after having kids! It's so nice to have so much energy again.

In some weird way it's a relief to know what was behind the way I was feeling and have some control again!

M

Member496333

Very well done. Good weight reduction and great blood numbers so far! Don't beat ourself up over any of this, and tell who you like. Then when you've fixed yourself and you're a glowing picture of health, you can pass on the knowledge to others and hopefully plant the seed in their minds that they might want to reconsider their own diets before judging yours.

In a perverse twist, you could probably consider yourself fortunate to be overweight. Generally speaking it often appears that those who can easily gain weight tend to reverse the disease quickly when they lose some. In the world of TOFIs where I lived (Thin Outside Fat Inside) reversing hyperinsulinemia and hyperglycaemia can be extremely difficult and take a very long time and extreme dedication.

You're doing all the right things so keep it up :nurse:

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
It can be a bumpy road at first, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things and heading in the right direction.
Pre and post meal testing is definitely a good thing to do but don't fret on every result - there are all sorts of reasons for outliers and if you're heading the right way then that's what counts.
If you are in a weight loss period then your body is having to cope with lots of change. Chemically speaking it isn't a straight line.
Well done - keep going.

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jim Lahey, it's odd to think of being obese as possibly a saving grace but it does help to.gave somewhere to go and more options for change.

I'm trying out being more open about the diabetes and the responses are more supportive and concerned than judgemental. I really hope I do manage to turn it around and can shout it from the rooftops! We shall see!

Thank you rhubarb73 I spoke to my DN and she said she's always happy for people to use the meter however they see fit. So that gives me scope for after meal readings. It's actually quite scary how much change there is in such a short amount of time, maybe in the long run it'll have been a good thing for helping me improve my health.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: I saw the nurse and she was rather impressed by my readings and weight loss. She had planned to up my metformin to 2 a day but decided to leave me on 1. She thinks if I carry on my next blood test could see me nearing pre diabetes range and coming off medication. She does seem really switched on and supportive, long may it continue that way.

Some less positive news, though unsurprising with this condition, I have a fatty liver showing up with raised levels in my blood. So I now need another blood test next week and possibly an ultrasound. I must admit although I figured I probably did have a fatty liver it's still not nice to hear. I'm not sure how concerned I should be? My blood test results were from when I was diagnosed a month ago, dare I hope my liver has already seen some improvement and isn't quite so leaky and fatty?!

M

Member496333

Thanks Jim Lahey, it's odd to think of being obese as possibly a saving grace but it does help to.gave somewhere to go and more options for change.

Yeah I'm reading more and recently that TOFI are far more presisposed to become insulin resistant, far more easily, far quicker, and are far more likely to stay that way for far longer than those who have the capacity to gain weight easily. The overflow hypothesis of insulin resistance and obesity certainly offers a proposed mechanism why this would be the case.