Type 2 not sure what 105 reading means? Any advice please

traceysteven

Good afternoon I had a phone call from my doctor today and I am seeing him next week
he said my last blood test was very high 105 but I don't know what this means to me
Can anybody please give me some advice on this and what it should be please
I also stopped taking one of my diabetic Meds as it was making me ill
Been told my next test may be higher because I came off one of the Meds
but I needed to be sure it was that what was making me ill before going back to doctor
(I am on quite a few Meds for different things)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have type 2 diabetes and not sure what I should be doing
Food wise etc

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds like this is an HbA1c of 105 mmol/mol and yes this is high. I will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with good information to get you started.

Have you looked at a low carb diet - have a read of the LCHF forum and why not join this sites low carb programme?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
abfe891b0e46f752a55ab12a3dab4772.jpg
have a look at this chart,you will see how the figure your doc gave sits in the scale,welcome to the forum l will ask @daisy1 For the info for new posters,have a good read and come back with your questions,clive

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@traceysteven - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).
Never stop taking any medications - you should discuss it first with your GP. And if the tablet was Metformin you stopped because it was making you ill? There are other Diabetic tablets that your GP could have put you on or changed the Metformin to the SR (slow release) one.
The above forum members are probably right in that the 105 is your HBA1C result.

traceysteven

Hi first of all I would like to say hello to you The World's End Clivethedrive and Liam1955 and thank you for your answers,help and advice

(Oh wow looking at the chart my reading is really bad)

I have followed a low fat diet through slimming world in the past before I was diagnosed with diabetes
but the extra easy plan I followed looking at your advice probably wouldn't be good now ?
as you could have unlimited potatoes, rice and fruit (just the bread went onto the syn system)
I did lose a lot of weight (6stone) but this as nearly all gone back on after I took ill again

I have not looked at a low carb diet but I will now thanks to your advice
(I have just looked at your first three months The World's End that is amazing what you achieved brilliant well done)

I started with metformin that was not working so the doctor put me on gliclazide as well
The metformin was making me ill so I was put onto the slow release metformin again the metformin was making me ill
I have kept taking the one gliclazide tablet but did stop the metformin but I am seeing the doctor on Monday

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@traceysteven - Hello :). A lot of forum members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) which has proven to not only lower Blood Sugars but also HBA1C and they have lost weight too. Take a look at:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/69-seconds
Do you have a Blood Glucose Meter? If not, it would be a good idea to invest in one and monitor your blood sugars. Let me know and I can post the link for a meter that is popular with forum members. :)

traceysteven

@traceysteven - Hello :). A lot of forum members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) which has proven to not only lower Blood Sugars but also HBA1C and they have lost weight too. Take a look at:
Do you have a Blood Glucose Meter? If not, it would be a good idea to invest in one and monitor your blood sugars. Let me know and I can post the link for a meter that is popular with forum members. :)

Hi thank you for the low carb link I will give it a read through

My doctor said I don't need to bother with a blood glucose meter but I ordered one anyway
Only problem is I am scared of needles so have only used it two times
my friend helped me but I couldn't stop shaking so he hasn't done it for me since

Reactions: Liam1955

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have followed a low fat diet through slimming world in the past before I was diagnosed with diabetes
but the extra easy plan I followed looking at your advice probably wouldn't be good now ?
as you could have unlimited potatoes, rice and fruit (just the bread went onto the syn system)
I did lose a lot of weight (6stone) but this as nearly all gone back on after I took ill again

Unlimited potatoes, rice, and fruit are generally very bad for keeping blood glucose withn normal ranges. Your 105 reading probably has a lot more to do with diet than it does with stopping the Metformin - Metformin is not very good for significantly lowering levels as high as yours are.

Try to find a lancing device that is very gentle. I barely feel the AccuCheck FastClix. (I only feel it when I haven't changed the lancing cartridge for a while - so if I changed it regularly, I wouldn't feel it at all.)

Be very careful in dropping to low carb while you are on gliclazide. If you drop too low on your carbs, it gliclazide can give you hypos.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@traceysteven

Hello Tracey and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

traceysteven

Hello neohdiver and daisy1 thank you for your advice
I haven't been on the forum over the weekend so I have only just read your advice
I will read all the links everybody as sent me so I should have a better understanding of what I am doing thank you
I have been to see the doctor today he said it was most probably the metformin that had made me ill as my symptoms have settled down since I stopped taking it he also said from my last blood test the metformin was not working
And he as upped the gliclazide
Kind regards and thank you to everyone that as given me help and advice

Reactions: 75Bedford

barrie lawn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was told im type 1 was rushed hba1c of 147 12weeks ago and its dropped to 57 today so must be doing something right lol

Reactions: 75Bedford

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you for the low carb link I will give it a read through

My doctor said I don't need to bother with a blood glucose meter but I ordered one anyway
As you are prescribed Gliclazide, my understanding is that your doctor is obliged to give you a meter and prescribe test strips, as Gliclazide promotes your own pancreas to produce more insulin and therefore you can go hypoglycaemic. Also, in order to meet with DVLA regulations, you shouldn't drive unless you have tested and show that you are over 5. As you've already ordered a meter, that's good because, if you get to control your levels, the doctor will possibly be keen to stop your Gliclazide and therefore your test strips too! (Saves the surgery lots of money)

Although the doctor said Type 2s don't need to test (when not on these meds) it's like trying to keep to a speed limit but without the speedo working!!! Hence, the recommendation here is to get a meter if not provided by GP.

Good luck. Sounds like you're doing well :)

traceysteven

i was told im type 1 was rushed hba1c of 147 12weeks ago and its dropped to 57 today so must be doing something right lol[/QUOTE
As you are prescribed Gliclazide, my understanding is that your doctor is obliged to give you a meter and prescribe test strips, as Gliclazide promotes your own pancreas to produce more insulin and therefore you can go hypoglycaemic. Also, in order to meet with DVLA regulations, you shouldn't drive unless you have tested and show that you are over 5. As you've already ordered a meter, that's good because, if you get to control your levels, the doctor will possibly be keen to stop your Gliclazide and therefore your test strips too! (Saves the surgery lots of money)

Although the doctor said Type 2s don't need to test (when not on these meds) it's like trying to keep to a speed limit but without the speedo working!!! Hence, the recommendation here is to get a meter if not provided by GP.

Good luck. Sounds like you're doing well :)
i was told im type 1 was rushed hba1c of 147 12weeks ago and its dropped to 57 today so must be doing something right lol
Hi Barrie lawn wow well done that is amazing

Hello energize and thank you for your advice I ordered the meter and I have now purchased the strips and lancets
I have told the doctor and he did say if I let him know what I need for the meter he will prescribe them for me now
I do not drive but thank you for the advice because I had not been told this

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... have now purchased the strips and lancets
I have told the doctor and he did say if I let him know what I need for the meter he will prescribe them for me now
I do not drive but thank you for the advice because I had not been told this

Yeh!!! Brilliant move, eh? GP must have realised the blunder there, not thinking to prescribe test strips in the first place. :) You played your cards so very well ;) I love it ;)