Not sure what to make of OGTT results

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't think OGTT results are useful (other than for comparison to previous or future tests) if you are on a very low carb diet since you can become temporarily insulin resistant if you are not eating much carbs. If you are going to do OGTTs for self-comparison, I'd keep monitoring until you get back to pre-test levels and then beyond to see if there is any hypoglycemia.

If you really want to see if you have a non-diabetic OGTT response, then you really should do a few days of "normal" carb intake before the test.

Reactions: millenium

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are going to do OGTTs for self-comparison, I'd keep monitoring until you get back to pre-test levels and then beyond to see if there is any hypoglycemia.

I agree.

@AdamJames
Leaving it at 2 hours isn't giving enough information if you are still high. You need to know how long it takes to get back to the start level, and then what happens after that. As I said in my earlier post, I returned to my base level after 2hrs 45 minutes but continued to drop to the low 4's and may well have kept on dropping but for my cuppa. Low 4s are very rare for me. I put this down to too much circulating insulin. The cuppa stopped the drop, and also my liver may have kicked in. I will never know. What I'm saying is, you don't have the full story because you stopped too early.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I didn't follow any of the guidelines in the run-up because I don't want to compare my results to a standard, so much as compare them to my next results next time I do one. So long as I do the same things in the 48-hour-run-up next time, I think I'll know if I'm making my glucose tolerance better or worse.

Thanks for your lovely results. Those not only pass the WHO guidelines but look very like I'd expect from a truly non-diabetic person, based on the sample images I see online. I'm going to graph them later if you don't mind, and superimpose and zoom in-out just to compare "shapes" of other graphs, regardless of levels. I don't actually know why I'm going to do that, but I know I won't be able to resist.
Do whatever you like with them.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you really want to see if you have a non-diabetic OGTT response, then you really should do a few days of "normal" carb intake before the test.

That's definitely on the horizon.

One point at which it makes sense to do that is when I don't think I can comfortably lose any more weight. Another would be if for some reason it seems like my carb tolerance has suddenly improved, though as you say, and as I've discovered myself, one I've been keeping carbs low for a while it doesn't take many carbs to get a spike, so that will be hard to judge.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your test curve is different to mine, but you do have a weaker first insulin response than some. There can be many reasons for this, insulin resistance, high glucose levels, high circulating insulin, and the difference in how your alpha and beta cells cope with the amount of glucose produced, usually when a meal is eaten how the balance of carbs, protein and fats could slow the amount of glucose and your spike.

This is why certain diabetes meds work, because the meds increase and alter the first insulin response to help lower the spike. Lowering the spike will help in lowering the second insulin response, which can cause the high circulating insulin in some T2s.
The viscous circle of , high circulating insulin, high than normal second insulin response, high insulin resistance and higher than normal blood glucose levels is why many T2s will get fluctuating blood glucose levels, which can progress to really high glucose readings.

To break the circle by eating food that neither exceeds the first insulin response and doesn't trigger the second insulin response, will over time lower both insulin resistance and high glucose levels. No high spikes, the better the insulin response and less fluctuating blood glucose levels.

Interpretation of an OGTT, can decide which meds to use.
Experience and experimentation will help you discover which foods you have an intolerance to other than the actual glucose you take during the test.

Reactions: rom35 and millenium

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I don't think OGTT results are useful (other than for comparison to previous or future tests) if you are on a very low carb diet since you can become temporarily insulin resistant if you are not eating much carbs. If you are going to do OGTTs for self-comparison, I'd keep monitoring until you get back to pre-test levels and then beyond to see if there is any hypoglycemia.

This is why i never do an OGTT on my father ever since he is doing LC and was first diagnosed by having 11.2 at second hours after a 75g glucose load.
Even if a doc ordered it again, i will tell them it wont be accurate as he did not take higher carb three days previously.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe u r relatively young and added quite a bit of lean mass on your body.

Did u share somewhere here on what did you do to reverse?

Prior to this, i only wonder when i saw members here putting "i reverse my diabete" and assume they actually meant "i controlled my diabete with exercise and low carb". I actually thought this... put them on an ogtt and they will have to face reality as what i read online about "there is no cure".

Millenium, I am extremely young in my head, but physically, I am "a lady of a certain age". To be honest, age doesn't seem to be a massive hurdle in achieving the sort of results I have, where the person is relatively recently diagnosed, and their body isn't irreparably damaged. Our bodies can be very resilient.

To do what I did, I trimmed back on the carbs and undertook testing. I'm a data monster, so plotted my blood scores, alongside what I had eaten, so that I would identify which foods were my blood sugar rocket fuel. On identifying them, I would decide whether to cut back or ditch them. In essence, I ate to my meter. It so happened that the foods I had to reduce/reject were the usual carb heavy options. During that process, I didn't set out to lose weight, but have trimmed up to become quite a skinny old girl. My visceral fat score is 3.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Millenium, I am extremely young in my head, but physically, I am "a lady of a certain age". To be honest, age doesn't seem to be a massive hurdle in achieving the sort of results I have, where the person is relatively recently diagnosed, and their body isn't irreparably damaged. Our bodies can be very resilient.

To do what I did, I trimmed back on the carbs and undertook testing. I'm a data monster, so plotted my blood scores, alongside what I had eaten, so that I would identify which foods were my blood sugar rocket fuel. On identifying them, I would decide whether to cut back or ditch them. In essence, I ate to my meter. It so happened that the foods I had to reduce/reject were the usual carb heavy options. During that process, I didn't set out to lose weight, but have trimmed up to become quite a skinny old girl. My visceral fat score is 3.

I have a lot to learn from you. Your OGTT is very impressive. With this current kind of metabolism, i think u process a normal meal with a upper carb limit of 75g and still maintain normal blood glucose level?

By the way, i was just looking at the fat on my father's waist. Currently, he still has quite a bit of stubborn fat around his waist. He has lost 3" on his waistline and dropped 6kg from the time he was diagnosed D2 two years ago.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Can u share with me your exercise regimen? Thank you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can u share with me your exercise regimen? Thank you.

That's very easy. I don't really have one. I move around, do my garden and get around the village on my bicycle in the better weather, but aside from that I just don't park close to the supermarket entrance, for example.

If I'm on holiday, I'll swim every day, and sail, but for me exercise hasn't been a major tool.

As someone once said,......... "You can't outrun a bad diet".

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting. How different do you think the curve would look if I was on Metformin for example?

Not a lot, it would be Indistinguishable from one without metformin. Metformin is the go to meds to protect your organs, and is a long term preventive measure than a quick fix, it does help but the side effects can be counterproductive of lowering blood glucose levels.

I was alluding to the meds that help with insulin production to reduce spikes.