Not sure what's going on.

hornplayer

Hi guys,

I'm eating properly (for me) - very low carb, as I did for the first two and a half months after diagnosis. I did go off the rails for a few weeks over the summer, but all has been well, eating wise, for the last month or so.

I lost two and a half stone in immediately after diagnosis, and my readings were between 4.5 and 8.

Over the past few weeks, even though I'm doing the same, I've put on almost a stone and my readings are all over the place, - between 2.6 and 16.8.

Any ideas as to what's going on???

- T2 on Metformin

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
your doing exactly the same? sheesh i suppose as you get lighter your intakes should decrease but you would think you/we would just maintain a stable weight, the increase in bg could of course be either down to the weight gain of an underlying infection somewhere, but it all sounds very odd mate :( sorry this is happening and hope someone can offer something useful unlike me :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe as you have reduced your food intake your metabolism has slowed down and you are storing fat.
Can you try taking more exercise to wake things up a bit - especially after meals.

How often do you eat? Maybe eat less but more often so your body doesn't think it needs to store.

After a few months I started feeling tired so added a half a small baked potato to some meals and found that helped without raising bg much.

As you have put on a bit of weight your insulin resistance might have increased which would explain the bg.

hornplayer

Gone back down to extremely low carbs. - less than 10g per day. BG is down around 6 and stable. - At least it is once the fasting spike (11- 14) wears off.

I feel ****. :( Sick and dizzy, aching all over and so tired! :( :(

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
:( sorry mate, 10 is low :shock: hope things workout for you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
10g carb a day is low intake and your body may well be feeling **** from the differences in diet that you are shocking your body with.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Personally, I dont think that you should have to go so low carb to get your bgs down...if it was me, I would be asking my gp for more meds to allow me to eat in moderation....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i never thought id ever agree with someone suggesting upping carbs but i have to agree

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I would suggest a trip to your GP is in order.

Hope you feel better soon.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Life is everything in moderation..,, too much, too little and you lose the fun and smiles that we all need.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
OP.. You nedd to have a sustainable enjoyable diet with reasonable levels. You did fantastic early on, but you slipped... Whether it was dummer or whatever reason it shows to me that the living style was not sustainable.

I have seen sone awful affects from somebody being yokd to go LOW fat.. He took it to extreme and went NO fat. It practically killed him. I know carbs n fat etc are different and have different effects, but I have had to call ambulance when my friend collapsed in the bathroom from not eating a balanced diet. Honest.. It was awful sering what hapoened to him...

So basicaly.. I'm not saying for you to up your carbs enormously.. I like a lower carb diet myself .. Although I dont do this intentionally...just that 10g on a longterm basis is not sustainable and I would advise that you try to get a diet that allows you to lise weight if you want to, BUT you still have to enjoy your food.

hornplayer

Thank you all for your posts.

I really don't want to go back to the GP. I'm going to keep my carb intake minimal for a week or two, to try to get my fasting level down. Then I'll start introducing vegetables.

I really don't understand how people manage to eat a near normal diet and still control their blood sugar without insulin.

It doesn't seem possible for me. :(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please cinsuder taking a multi vitamin if your diet is lighter on veg and carbs... Bread and cereal is all fortified with extras nowadays.. Curting out this from diet and veg too.. I would certainly be looking at taking a multi vit supplement...