not taking insulin

vickiec

Type of diabetes
Type 2
once again my son has not been taking his insulin this time it has lasted 4 days uses pump but obviously not at the moment his consultant tells me to butt out and let him work things out for himself hes 15 and very nasty i am a nurse so do know the dangers just need some advice how to handle this :( :(

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Don't really know anything useful about T1 and insulin but as a mum and granny I know a bit about boys and teenagers! :roll: :shock:

We pretty soon learnt that automatically anything we, as mere parents, proposed the diametrically opposed position was always taken. If we ever wanted to push an idea or a direction we had very good friends who took it on and very tactfully and confidentially chatted things through with whichever 'child' needed a prod. We learnt to keep well out of it even to the extent of being devil's advocate and putting the opposing view so that at least it meant that all was considered. :roll:

Your biggest problem is that you are a nurse and are frightened for your son but you can't 'gift' him your experience or knowledge unless he is willing which he clearly is not. :(

Do as the consultant asks so that he can do his job. :)

vickiec

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks for that response he uses his diabetes to get his own way like can i have a new mobile phone and i'll take my insulin again he holds a gun to my head as i of course want him to be well and even though i can afford it i'm just not doing it any more it's killing me to see him like this but i have to make a stand even though i can see him becoming more and more poorly :( :(

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
It is the old story about being cruel to be kind! You will have to be really strong and refuse to play his game and make sure that both parents are in accord because divide and rule is another ploy so you must back each other up and be consistent. It will be very hard especially as it has worked in the past because you have to get back to the starting position.

Ultimately your son has to take ownership of his condition and the responsibility for his future because you cannot do it for him and nor should you. If he wants to be treated as a young adult he has to start acting like one and you must allow him to try and learn to stand by and watch him stumbling - because he will and it won't be easy.

I am sending you <<<big hugs>>> because if you don't need them yet you will - keep them in store! :) Come back and tell us how things go - it is a good place to let off steam! 8)

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He's 15 not 5. He understands exactly what he is doing, bullying you. Don't give in to him. It's his choice if he doesn't take his insulin.
Next time he has an appointment with the diabetes clinic, can you go with him to tell them what he is doing? they might help explain to him how important it is to control his diabetes properly.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am a mother and grandmother married to a T1, so I know both sides of the problem.
You must not let your son bully you, it's not good for either of you. If he tries it on, point out to him that you already provide everything he needs and if he wants to risk his health in that way. You are not giving in, but will dial 999 if necessary.
"No!" MUST MEAN "No!"