Not Testing Levels - Worried

Hi. This is my first post, so please be kind to me!

I am very worried about my husband.

He was diagnosed some 10 years ago, at just 34.Type 2 runs in his family, (3 close relatives have it.)
When he was first diagnosed, he made a real effort to control it just with diet and exercise. Then, gradual the weight crept back, and he went onto 2x 500mg of metformin. About 2.5 years ago, his levels were going up again, and the doc wanted him on gliclazide. He didn't want that, so again made a push, and lost the best part of 3 stone, (taking him down to just under 12 stone; so ideal for his 5ft 9inch height.)
Then, about 1.5 years ago, two things happened. First off his doctor stopped prescribing the tester strips, saying that there was no evidence that this helped Type 2s on oral medication, and that the 3 monthly blood test at the doctors gave a better average. So overnight he went from testing 6 times a day to zero. The second was that the village chemist that does the repeat prescriptions would always insisted that if you'd gone over your review date with your doctor, you were only allowed 1 further repeat prescription. Which would force him to see his doctor on a regular 3 or 4 month basis, as if you got a red post it note with your tablets from the chemist, it meant no more pills until you'd seen the doctor! Well at his last visit he mentioned this to the doc, who said that the chemist would never refuse to issue a prescription; they were just trying to get people to visit as they should!
By last Christmas, he'd put on some of the weight previously lost, so weighed about 13 stone. By then he was taking 2x 850mg Metformin, so, because his levels were creeping up again, the doc put him on 30mg gliclazide as well.

Over the last year, he seems to have gone into complete denial that he has Diabetes at all. The last visit to the doc was 9 months ago, when his blood test was showing an average of about 7 or 8. He promised the doc that he would lose weight again, as he didn't want more pills. He hasn't managed that. He doesn't exercise at all, and eats pretty much what he wants. He weight has remained at around 13stone, but I have no idea what his sugar levels are. If I try to talk to him about how worried I am, he just gets angry and walks out of the room.
I really have no idea what problems he may be storing up for the future. We do try and both eat healthily, but the worst thing that he did was stop the regular testing, as he now has no interest in knowing what his levels are.

Sorry for the long post - I am just so worried about him, and don't know what to suggest to get him to care about his future health...

lacey1

soz to Hear about ur situation hun my hubby is type 1 and i have to say looks after him self brilliant and is in fantastic shape but being the wife of a diabetic i totally understand ur worry and i do know bad control can lead to mood swings to say the least i hope things get better for u especially with Xmas almost here just wanted to coment if nothing else it will bump this post up and someone of more use than me might be able to help good luck x x x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, hope you wont mind me saying, but can you devise a low carb menu to feed him on. he wont be so tempted perhaps.my husband does not know he is eating a low carb diet, there are so many recipes on this site to help.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, sorry to hear the problems you guys have had :( its a shame because he was obviously trying hard to do the right thing, i can kinda understand how he feels with the doctors, ive always thought right or wrong if they stop giving me the strips which im sure they will one day soon, they can go jump if im ever going back, their advice is **** so i only go there for the strips, i think its criminal to not give folks strips for a hundred reasons, but that dosent solve your problem, he may not, but he may be heading for complications later on if he ignors things, is it possible to maybe buy some strips and just test every now and then? that would be better than never, you say you eat healthily? have you had a read about maybe reducing carbs from your diet? that will help keeping them blood levels down, even reducing the bread and potatoes would be something but im sure you know that, this is such an easy thing to ignor as its a hidden illness, bit like bp or cholesterol, i wished i had an answer to help out but alas, you will need to test to know what going on or if not be really good with the diet and do some exercise but thats going to be hard to convince him of if he dosent want to :( hes lucky to have such a caring wife :thumbup: , i hope you find a way to help him and wish you both all the best

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lowering carb intake will help, if he can stay away from carbs himself when not at home or with you... My hubby used to eat the same as me at home, but work, garages for petrol would have him buying extra carbs.. Then him wodering why he never lost weight....

Its very hard when your doctor wont provide strips. I personally would if in your shoes try to buy one packet of strips a month out of my own money... Although, it is an extra cost, it is amazing how much money can be saved each month by cutting out the **** from our diets. And this would be a starter to take one or two tests a day 2hrs after a meal and get him back on board.

He probably feels pretty miserable within himself to be truthful as well.. Its hard to cope when you have a partner that obviously worries and cares for you, but because of doctors etc that person is caught between a rock and a hard place!! This isnt going to be easy to change. I guess you have sat him down and tried to talk to him rather than talking to him about it in the kitchen, when he eating etc.
A counsellor said to me that when trying to talk to people about serious topics.. No matter what topics, or what people they are .. You get better reaction from sitting opposite each other at a table over a cup of coffee or tea. It does work.. One day ( no table at the time) I lugged a coffee table upstairs and placed it on the bedroom floor in front of my hubby. I told him to sit down on the floor the opposite side. It did work.. There was that inanimate object there as a bridge, rather than a barrier. I do this (not lugging the coffee table upstairs) with lots of peope nowadays, it just tells people in their brains that they are in a more official, listening, talking mode. Don't do it over dinner though.

Advice on how to get a meter and strips is hard, but gp's should want to get their patients hba1c down to under 7.2 which I believe is their targets. It maybe if your partners was above this, or on hypo giving tablets he could use both to try again with the gp to get them.

Hopethis will also bump up your post to get more people with advice.

If your doctors has a PPG -volunteer to attend meetings... And go... You cant use these meetings for your own agendas, but it would be an ideal starting place to raise the question on 'test strips for type 2's. Minutes of these meetings should be published and depending on how active people are in your community, then it may become a real issue that your hps may have to reconsider how they teeat their patients......

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with a couple of the others - get him on a low carb diet - but put some treats in like the gorgeous Bounty Balls and Jelly and cream so its not boring. Am only learning but finding new things all the time.

My GP said strips were useless and hasn't given me any but after coming on the forum I realise how important they are especially for new foods I'm trying.

So I bought some cheap ones off eBay. I also only test about 5 times a week so they are really lasting me.

Exercise - could you do anything together? Even if its a walk....

Good luck and I wish you well.

weaver

I feel for you,regular testing is vital for an individual to feel as though they can take some control over this awful illness.It enables you to drill down and isolate your own personal reactions to lifestyle,meds,diet and exercise.
I believe the issue of denial of testing equipment should be taken up by influential bodies like this site and brought to the fore to be properly debated,the impact on individuals lives highlighted and any cost savings made held up to be the folly that they are.
I would encourage you to talk to your husband and put some positive steps in place,if this means purchasing some strips yourself until hopefully your GP can be shown the error of his ways then so be it.
Good luck and do not give in.