1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Not to eat more than three times per day

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Saur, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

Dear members please can you give your opinions why it is recommended that you shouldn’t eat snacks/supper in between meals. A lot of us find it hard to stick to three meals. Does drinking tea/coffee between meals ok and not food.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

For a T2 (which I presume you are) eating triggers an insulin response.
    Most classic T2's produce way too much insulin which is less effective because of insulin resistance.
    By eating lots of small meals and snacks during the day you are constantly triggering even more insulin production.
    Eating once or twice a day without snacks allows the pancreas to rest and the insulin to do its job more effectively (lowering blood sugar).
    If you are constantly introducing more glucose into your body by eating carbs then you are constantly triggering the pancreas to produce more and more insulin making the problem worse.
    Hence its best to eat once or twice a day with minimal carbohydrate. This has multiple benefits
    1. Not triggering insulin
    2,. Allowing the body to burn up excess glucose for fuel
    3. Over time turning the body on to burning fat for fuel (providing carb intake is low enough)
    4. This leads to weight loss and more efficient functioning
    5. This can assist in putting T2 into remission.

This is why I believe intermittent fasting along with ultra low carb is a major benefit for T2's.

If you eat enough fat and protein in your main meals then snacking per se should be come less attractive.. fat keeps you full and provides energy.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

^^^ That pretty much sums it up.

The only people who should eat every three hours are new born babies, and that, not for very long.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I eat at 5 am, 12pm and 5pm no snacking but I drink lots of black coffee and tea in between, I do very occasionally have a few nuts or a babybel cheese just before bed if I'm feeling hungry as I can't sleep if I'm hungry and as I don't get to bed until 1 am I need to get to sleep quickly lol. A beef stock cube drink can take the edge off too

If you do take milk in your hot drinks consider changing to a splash of cream as milk has more carbs and if you're drinking a lot through the day they can add it quickly :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes I agree with all of the above. The fewer times I eat per day the less hungry I feel.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Regular snacking is just about the most deleterious thing someone can do to their metabolic health. And for anyone who may already be insulin resistant, it’s like pouring a can of petrol onto a barbecue.

As Zoé Harcombe puts it - “unless you’re a cow or want to look like one, don’t graze.”

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

I am a Prediabetic. Thankyou for your advise, very helpful. I am a nibbler and can’t stop munching all day but being cautious now and trying to snack on healthy snacks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

I never thought about taking cream, I thought of it as fattening and calorie laden. Some amounts won’t hurt I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Fat doesn't make you fat. The carbs do that. If you reduce the amount of carbs you have then the fat will fill you so you don't need to snack.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. bobrobert

bobrobert Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you have a bit of cheese that hasn't any carbs surely there won't be an insulin response?

11. bulkbiker

For some even the smell of food can cause an insulin response.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bobrobert

Is this an attempt at humour?:)

13. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eating anything at all causes some level of insulin response. In order of descending magnitude: carbohydrate, protein, fat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bulkbiker

Nope. I have read about it a number of times. Dr Fung I believe.

15. bobrobert

Then we are all doomed?

16. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

only if we keep stuffing our faces all day. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

And you can't do that with healthy fats because it is so satiating that it is almost impossible to overeat on it.
    I may have to experiment with grade A* protein though ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get a response from smelling food, and also from when i used to eat foods made with sweetner. My body reacted as if it was real sugar.

If we dont go into the fridge, freezer, larder or whatever to smell the food, we wont trigger the response. Its like giving up smoking, in many ways. You dont stand outside with the smokers if you are trying not to smoke : )

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  19. bambee3

bambee3 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi there, It used to be only suggested for type 1s to have three meals plus snacks to help avoid the risk of hypos. It apparently also varies between doctors and educators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

For someone "Fat" adapted, it would be difficult to eat more than twice a day. Last year I was on holiday with the family and even eating really low carb, I had to abandon 3MAD (even though I walked fasted and trained in a great gym late morning).

I sometimes struggle on 2MAD (these are not bite size meals granted). I never need snacks, which are a modern marketing construct in standard diet land, to sell usually something with over 50% carbs / sugar. On OMAD days I always walk fasted and weight train, I like to see 2000 Fitbit calories burned by 14:00 having consumed just drinks, with food around 16:00. I can highly recommend fat adaptation.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook