Novo advice plz

Shazza

Hi Son just changed onto levimer/novo this week so still not sure about it all. His bs 4.5 just now and is having snack crisps 12 carbs, now normally he would have dinner at 5ish and inject 2 units of novo but tonight dinner will be around 7 so do I give him an extra snack (bic or something) at 5pm and he,ll be ok until 7 to wait for his novo :? I,m scared he,ll go lower.

Thanks

iHs

Hi

Its difficult to say whether yr son will be ok until 7pm unless you test bg at 5pm. What you will find now that you have changed to different insulin, is that you will most likely need a different amount of bolus insulin to cope with the carb that is eaten and also taking into account the action of the new basal insulin. You will learn as you go along - trial and error through doing bg tests :)

Shazza

Thanks, he went up to 9 maybe thats the levimer running out, will keep testing and writing everything down will get the hang of it shortly but its frustrating

sophsmam

if sophie is going to be eating late she will have a snack and a bit of novorapid to cover it.sophie's levemir runs out around about 3ish and usually her tea is about 5 otherwise she starts rising.

Shazza

think i should have gave him some novo at 5ish but will know next time, im still not sure when ewans levimer is running out his numbers are below 10 apart from 2hr after a 30g carb breakfast, then go low most days till after dinner usually 40g carbs. testing loads till we get hang of it

thanks

sophsmam

sophie's always been on novorapid and levemir since day one.it's taken the past 5 months to get her b/s below ten thoughout the day,finding foods that won't make her go high.we tested loads just like you but now we no longer test after 2 hours.You'll get there in the end.

lilibet

Agree that he only way to know to snack is to test

However, in principle if you get the levemir sorted to a suitable dosage, then you shouldnt have to eat until you want to. Levemir running out appears to be a problem for me too at times, so propping it up with a snack and some Novo is a good idea