Novopen Echo broke!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Over last week I thought my Echo pen sort of was getting a bit of pressure 1/2 way through its 11.5 unit dose.

Yesterday thought, crikey that zipped in quick when I pressed the pen.

This morning, went to take cover off and then pen completely fell apart on my hands. It divided in to two non workable pieces!!

Was supplied these within last two years, I no longer have the boxes though.

Pens have never been dropped or abused. Always kept in cases and definitely treated like gold.

Have reported to MHRA.

Having only just gone back to Yresiba in two last weeks it now puts me in position of starting all over again as I cannot be sure that pen was working properly. I assumed it was all my skin.... not the pen!!

Nothing is ever simple for me.

However please be aware that tgese things happen and have a back up pen to use!!

Will post pictures..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
IMG_1482066285.867120.jpg

IMG_1482066315.167581.jpg

IMG_1482066328.563229.jpg

IMG_1482066342.182720.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have a back up pen, in case of accidents or wear and tear. Yours could be wear and tear dd or that particular part could be prone to some sort of defect or frailty ?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @donnellysdogs . What a bloody nuisance, it's fair to say that your pen is well and truly had it.
It's too late in this instance, but are you aware that you can always check your pen to see if it is delivering the correct dosage?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My dr would only give one spare! So now had to put tape on the spare one as they are both blue!!

Have ordered two now.

The one I have just taken out of box this morning has a label on it...

The Oct 2016 date on it.. as in photo.. I take it that is probably a sell by date and not a use by date. Know the 2014 would be when it was made...

Just typical of my recent luck though!!-lol...

IMG_1482073631.747979.jpg

Going to ask for a 3rd one...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just noticed a little of the paint chipped off the cap? Looks like some stress was caused to the pen..
I had an incident many years ago with one of the first NPs where a girl sat on it, causing similar. But the early versions were all plastic.

Yes I saw chip too. I have no idea how that got there. It may have occurred this morning with me trying to put the two back together again.. naievity!! Never had a pen or anything actually break when trying to get the cover off etc in 30+ years... (or me throwing it across room in frustration this morn!! (Only kidding)

Does anybody know what the 10/2016 date on box signifies of this spare pen?
Would it be its expiry date for use? Or its shelf life in a shop?
I think the 2014 signifies the manufacture date?

Yes, I know how to measure and check dosage? I never until today thought pen was under doseing me or over.... I just thought the pen was going against tougher layer of skin and struggling with its delivery and yeaterday it was in a good area of skin....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would it be its expiry date for use? Or its shelf life in a shop?
I think the 2014 signifies the manufacture date?

My way of thinking is this?
If I had opened a 6 year old pack of fresh razors? They would still be sharp.
A ten year old Nokia phone fresh out of the box? Brand new! ;)

You see my angle on the spare pen....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dodo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Possible the expected expiry date for the battery.

The pen is well busted DD, not had that happen before.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Will try to find out about these code dates as I think we should all be aware of these dates... just in case...

I would not want it to be a "out of use" date or expiry date for the pen!!

Have reported to MHRA, with permission for manufacturer to be copied... and kept all parts.
If MHRA are doing their job I should be contacted by the manufacturer for them to have look at the pen.

Just discussed the chip with hubby and if he can recall me ever dropping it or abusing it. The answer was no.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first NovoPen Echo I had, the battery only lasted 2 years. I never thought to check for an expiry date. I guess it had been in a warehouse for some while, as I believe they are supposed to last 3 years. The pen still worked, it just didn't display the dose/time anymore.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will try to find out about these code dates as I think we should all be aware of these dates... just in case...

I would not want it to be a "out of use" date or expiry date for the pen!!

Have reported to MHRA, with permission for manufacturer to be copied... and kept all parts.
If MHRA are doing their job I should be contacted by the manufacturer for them to have look at the pen.

Just discussed the chip with hubby and if he can recall me ever dropping it or abusing it. The answer was no.

Do you not have pens on the repeat prescription form??
I can understand an "expiry date" on insulin or strips... But putting it on a mechanical device (unused at that.) after all the factory quality control checks is just nonsensical...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But putting it on a mechanical device (unused at that.) after all the factory quality control checks is just nonsensical...
Makes a lot of sense putting it on an electronic device with a non-removable battery though....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Makes a lot of sense putting it on an electronic device with a non-removable battery though....
I suppose it does Tim.
If one focuses souly on the digital dosage memory timer & forgets the still fully functional insulin delivery device it's attached to... ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If one focuses souly on the digital dosage memory timer & forgets the still fully functional insulin delivery device it's attached to... ;)
For many, that's the key reason for having the Echo, so I think it does make sense....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How many of write down the dates from the boxes though?? I'm still trying to find out what the date means!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Novo lady phoning me back to tell me what the date means.
The serial number (which I didn't realise is visible if we dial up 30 units, its on the side (didn't know that but of useless information).
They are wanting pen back and sending me a replacement.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well, I'm glad nobody else reads the boxes before using the pens!!
It states on the box ! Oops if the pen is started before the date marked against the circle the pen is guaranteed to show the units for 5 years from when the user started using it. Novopen will replace it foc if the battery or pen fail within that 5 year period!!

The lady couldn't tell me what happens if starting it new after that date but she said if I used it and the battery died to jyst let them know and they would replace it.

So glad I'm not the only person using Echo pens that doesn't look at full details on their boxes!

Reactions: robert72 and Struma

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oops if the pen is started before the date marked against the circle the pen is guaranteed to show the units for 5 years from when the user started using it. Novopen will replace it foc if the battery or pen fail within that 5 year period!!

Is it 5 years, had it in mind that it was 3 years.

That's really good as far as battery's are concerned :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yep, 5 years!!
IMG_1482182717.277264.jpg

Thats good!!

Reactions: Jaylee