manicdefender

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Evening all,

I've been a T1 since 2008. Been on a pump the last few years and absolutely loving it (It certainly has worked wonders on my HBA1C results). However something I wanted to ask. My Novorapid seems to be less and less effective as time goes on, meaning I need more and more of the stuff.

Take as an example, if I was to have 2 Weetabix with just under half a pint of semi skimmed milk and a slight sprinkling of sweetner, I need about 22 units (depending on BG results pre breakfast) in order to keep me running around 9.0 about an hour after the meal. Sometimes even more units than that.

24 hour Basal is currently 17.375 units, although this may go up slightly due to occasional higher BG readings in the morning. But this is something I am always experimenting with.

Breakfast normally consists of the above, lunch is normally a cheese and ham sandwich and to be honest I don't always eat dinners because I find my appetite is lowest in the evening. I am normally pretty good at carb counting, so I don't think I am going wrong here. Insulin Sensitivity is set at 1.0mmol per unit. I know this is quite bad.

The consultant has me on Metformin and is also trialling Dapagliflozin (This isn't licensed in Type one's but studies are still ongoing). These were both to see if the insulin would work more effectively. I've had my thyroid and usual bloods done but nothing out of the ordinary.

Weight is currently 16st 11 (Being 5ft 10), but I think having so much insulin is causing me so much more difficulty in loosing weight which is something that really frustrates me. I also have quite an active job, just in case anyone is wondering. Didn't know whether anyone had been through something familiar and could shed some advice, or whether now the time is right to ask for a change of insulin to see whether that makes much of a difference. GP seems hesitant to adjust too much because of the pump and other medication.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, do you give your dose as you're about to eat? I've found doing my bolus a while before eating helps prevent spikes.

I've seen people say in the past novorapid isn't actually all that 'rapid' but I don't know what your other options are.

Could you also maybe try changing what you have for breakfast? You are having a LOT of carbs there and if bg isn't fairly low to begin with that may also be why you struggle a bit

Abbie :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried Apidra or Humalog? The easiest way to find out if it's novorapid is try another fast acting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk