JackPurvis

Hello,

I’ve been type 1 for around 8months now, have really good control and over everything is going well and I’m happy!

however recently I have went from taking 4 units of fast acting insulin to 20 units for the same meal. To my understanding I just thought my honeymoon period was ending but after a routine phone with my nurse today she didn’t seem to think that was the case and is really keen to try and reduce the amount I take as much as possible which I am too to be completely honest but don’t see how I can?

my routine has been bad recently with sleep being cut from 8h to 4-5 hours and having slightly higher carb meals (from 60 gm to 100gm)

Q: Other than increasing the risk of having more severe or frequently Hypos is there any other complications or downsides short or long term in taking large douses of fast acting insulin for each meal?

Thanks for the help!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Q: Other than increasing the risk of having more severe or frequently Hypos is there any other complications or downsides short or long term in taking large douses of fast acting insulin for each meal?
Not that I know of, although higher doses are associated with weight gain for some.

recently I have went from taking 4 units of fast acting insulin to 20 units for the same meal.
How about your long acting insulin? Has the dose for that gone up as well? Is your BG stable overnight and between meals?

My endo feels that it takes what it takes, and if it works it's the right dose, and I'm happy to agree with that, being on relatively high doses myself.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@JackPurvis sorry to read about your unusual increase in insulin.
How recently has this change happened?
Have you changed your insulin pen/cartridge since needing more?

Have you changed your basal insulin dose?
Do your levels remain stablish during the night?
If you have not changed your basal dose and do not need to, it suggests there is a problem with the NovoRapid.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@In Response makes a very good point about your insulin pen. @Jaylee has an awesome tip for testing the volume produced by an insulin pen using a needle cap, but it doesn't work with all pen needles.

Bad sleep might well push up insulin resistance but I am struggling to see how that would leave your basal unaffected.