1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

novorapid flexpen

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by peter lee, Apr 25, 2018.

1. peter lee

peter lee · Member

hi all is anyone else like me suffering from faulty pens almost 2 out of every pack is either faulty or dosent work at all ,it gets me wondering if they are inferior copies if so how do we know if the insulin is the correct medication ?

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. I would change over to Novo pens with replaceable penfill cartridges. They are sturdy and avoid the waste from disposable pens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is the pen itself not working for you (eg getting jammed) or is the insulin bad? I know that in America there was a big stink about insulin not being stored at the right temp and therefore not working right. I personally have had no issues.

4. Alperh

Alperh Type 1 · Newbie

do you guys know anyone else who is using Flexpen.....?

5. Dixon1995

Dixon1995 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Im using a flexpen and wish I was still on Penfills. I have requested it from my GP, still waiting.

6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I got given a flextouch pen to try FIASP insulin and hate it.
    Don’t know why but my consultant writes on my letters that I use flexpens... never have...
    it only delivers one unit doses and I often need 1/2 unit.
    Dosing for one unit using this pen does nothing at all. On my echo pen a one unit would make me low.... waiting for GP to change to refills for me.

Already told consultant previously and the educator that I do not use flex touch pens but every letter always states I do.

Hate the pen. Really think it’s useless.

7. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Dixon1995 can I ask why you'd prefer Penfills to Flexipen?

8. Dixon1995

Sure. When I used to use the Novopen 4 I thought the build quality was far superior to the mass produced flexipens. The plunger was built better, there was no wastage in the end of the penfills compared to the flexipens, and I notice a lot of the time with my flexipens sometimes when I plunge all the insulin into my skin and wait 10 seconds then remove, insulin still drips out the end of the needle and makes me think well hang on is that supposed to have just been injected now it decides to come out:banghead:

Just my opinion anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Dixon1995 that's interesting and thanks for the reply. I also get a blob of insulin on my belly when I take out the flexipen. I wonder if I should try and get the others prescribed? Any thoughts anyone else?

10. Dixon1995

Ive just been approved for a Novopen Echo. Looking forward to using it :). I just watched GPs behind closed doors I didnt realise your supposed to shake the insulin pen and rub it to loosen the insulin in the pen

11. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I don't think Novo say to do this in their leaflet? It sounds like dated advice for the older vials of mixed insulin? I certainly don't do it.

12. Dixon1995

Maybe it was a mixtard or something, it didn't state which insulin it was. Wonder if it makes any difference though

13. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

I use novopen echo i like the fact that it does half units also it tells you what your last does was were with the flex you can only give 1 units at a time which sometimes is too much/less

14. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use Novorapid FlexTouch and don't have any problems. It is the only kind of rapid insulin I have used.

15. donnellysdogs

I found the same too, especially with small doses.

However, even with the penfills and fiasp the one unit dose still comes out as 5 single drops when doing an airship. It is still necessary to hold the needle in to get the drops out as there is no stream of insulin. The flextouch pen literally has no decent plunge at all with just a one unit dose and the insulin literally just minutely dribbles out. I think that’s why it leaks out of the skin. The pressure is no way equivalent from the flextouch pen compared to the echo.

16. donnellysdogs

You have to shake and mix insulatard.

If you are using a fresh needle each time and using the newer insulin’s there should not be any need to shake the insulin up.

17. donnellysdogs

Please see my above post.. I agree with @Dixon1995

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook