Novorapid results.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ll be the first to admit I don’t really get the whole insulin injection thing - working out units to take and such - but things just got weirder. At least from my point of view.

My morning test (6:00 am) came back at 12.5 (that’s good for me, I’m usually close to 20) so I took 10 units of Novorapid. I tested again at 8:30 and my reading went up to 13.1.

Any suggestions? I’m baffled.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Plenty of people find that their livers dump sugar first thing in the morning (so called dawn phenomena) and so they have to inject for that as well as injecting for their breakfast...

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t eat breakfast, this is the odd thing. The only thing I have is coffee. I’m (at the end of my tether) point now where I just inject to get my numbers down.

I also take 100 units of Trasiba at night around 9:30.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffee makes my BG go up in the morning, whether it's the coffee itself or the milk I don't know, but I need to dose for this.

If I can get out for a walk, it tends to bring it back down reasonably quickly, but if I'm stuck in front of the PC from the get go it can stay stubbornly high until lunchtime (at which point I'll go for a bike ride to get it down and get some fresh air)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do also note that Novorapids stated working time is 4 hours not 2 (though for some it can take longer than said 4 hours to all seemingly work- the reason I ended up changing form Novorapid is that it often kicked in a load after about 4-5 hours - and not much before then (this was just me though, for some it seems to work fine)

• Informative
Reactions: JAT1

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @worksopcoffeeman - the insulin will be bringing the bg down lower that what it would have been.

May be worth discussing doses with your Diabetes nurse. But it sounds like overall your readings are headed in the right direction?

Don't let it get you down. You can beat this! It just takes time, and some days are a mess :)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
For some of us this just seems the way it is , last night my Libre graph showed me hovering around 6 - 7 all night then at 6 am it rose to 12 , had my insulin at 7 am and it rose to 15 , had my 20 carbs and it has now dropped down to 5.6 , it does this most days .