Novorapid

DAC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swede
Put in my order for insulin etc to my GP 2 weeks ago. It was all delivered to me last week except for the Novorapid (with a note to say...."To follow". Rang Kamsons last Monday to ask when the insulin might be delivered as I was running short and they said within a couple of days. They rang me back a few hours later to say that Novorapid pen refills were NO LONGER AVAILABLE and that they would now only be supplied as prefilled Flexpens and that a new prescription for these was therefore required from my GP before they could supply them. Advised my GP accordingly and assume this will be dealt with and supplied asap. Really surprised that neither my pharmacist or GP were aware of this major change to the supply of Novorapid. Is everybody else aware of this?? Is it just me that's missed this...surely not??!!

Reactions: J_3

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Put in my order for insulin etc to my GP 2 weeks ago. It was all delivered to me last week except for the Novorapid (with a note to say...."To follow". Rang Kamsons last Monday to ask when the insulin might be delivered as I was running short and they said within a couple of days. They rang me back a few hours later to say that Novorapid pen refills were NO LONGER AVAILABLE and that they would now only be supplied as prefilled Flexpens and that a new prescription for these was therefore required from my GP before they could supply them. Advised my GP accordingly and assume this will be dealt with and supplied asap. Really surprised that neither my pharmacist or GP were aware of this major change to the supply of Novorapid. Is everybody else aware of this?? Is it just me that's missed this...surely not??!!
Not just you as I have a friend in the same situation. There's a supply side issue at the Novo Nordisk plant apparently.
It is a big scary but hoping this is short term only. I am on novo rapid vials for my pump and they are still making plenty of those it seems so I suspect its just the actual cartridges that have gone wrong.
Not ideal I know!

DAC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swede
Not just you as I have a friend in the same situation. There's a supply side issue at the Novo Nordisk plant apparently.
It is a big scary but hoping this is short term only. I am on novo rapid vials for my pump and they are still making plenty of those it seems so I suspect its just the actual cartridges that have gone wrong.
Not ideal I know!
Eventually managed to speak with a pharmacist at Kamsons today after my original order for pen refills was delivered (can you believe it????!!!) to me earlier today. Everybody seems confused!!! BUT I was told today that pen refills ARE still available despite being told (by them) a few days ago that they were no longer available. There is apparently some concern about future availability, but for the moment, supplies are (in Eastbourne at least) readily available. Thought I'd better let you all know in case I'd caused unnecessary concern. Think I need a Crunchie.....b/g definitely coming down :))

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eventually managed to speak with a pharmacist at Kamsons today after my original order for pen refills was delivered (can you believe it????!!!) to me earlier today. Everybody seems confused!!! BUT I was told today that pen refills ARE still available despite being told (by them) a few days ago that they were no longer available. There is apparently some concern about future availability, but for the moment, supplies are (in Eastbourne at least) readily available. Thought I'd better let you all know in case I'd caused unnecessary concern. Think I need a Crunchie.....b/g definitely coming down :))
Enjoy celebrating with that Crunchie now you've got the drugs to cover it!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, as reported by Diabetes UK (and now on this website), there has been a shortage of NovoRapid in the UK for some weeks.
See https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...he-uk-face-shortages-of-vital-medication.html
However, I fail to understand why this article links to another article about a completely different medication, Ozempic, being in short supply due to a TikTok trend ???

Novo nordisk don’t just do insulin.. Ozempic has been promoted on the social media site as an off label weight loss drug & somehow non Ds have been getting their hands on it. Causing another supply issue from the Danish pharma firm.

With regards to the insulin cartridges just being the problem. (With vials & flexi pens seemingly unaffected.)
One supply issue that comes to mind maybe a shortage of the stuff used for the rubber membrane. ( in other news there seems to be a worry about a rubber shortage?) Novo nordisk could be prioritising rubber use for other products? (At a guess from someone who works in engineering production.)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had my script for NovoRapid fulfilled immediately. It is a different pack from the usual one and sourced from the EU.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just had my script for NovoRapid fulfilled immediately. It is a different pack from the usual one and sourced from the EU.
There is a shortage in the EU as well or at least in France, may be they are sending some insulin meant for the EU to the UK, so hopefully no one will be without insulin

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The last time I ordered some of the refills in case of pump failure my doctors just automatically substituted them to the pre-filled flex pens and updated my prescription to reflect the permanent change. When I went to pick them up they just asked if I’d had them before and if I knew how to use them :hilarious:

• Funny
Reactions: jonathan183

TokSik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having sweet stuff to eat often enough !! But I make a lot of my own without sugars
As of the 2nd week of Nov 2022, there's another shortage of Novorapid as well as Lantus (at least, in Bedford, UK).
I ran out of Novorapid yesterday, but still have a box of Lantus pens, so I'm :--
1) doubling the dose of Lantus (100 units per evening) and
2) cutting out as much carbs as I can find and
3) having multiple dumbell work-outs each day to burn off the excess glucose.
It seems to be working (so far, as I'm 8.7). Anyone else having shortages of these in any other areas?

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Nova Rapid pre-filled pens and was told today by my pharmacy that they can't get them atm and they have asked my GP to prescribe an alternative? Any ideas what the alternative will be? I'm going to have to call my GP first thing Monday to chase up as I'm down to my last pen

TokSik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having sweet stuff to eat often enough !! But I make a lot of my own without sugars
They'll probably give you one of the other synthetic insulins like Humalog (lispro by eli lilly), or Apidra (glulisine by sanofi) or human Insulin (regular). I was on Humalog before Novorapid - there's not much difference between them.
My local chemist finally got more novorapid in yesterday afternoon, but the packaging was different with foreign text, so probably imported pronto to make up for lack of stocks here (which is probably a knock on effect of the lock-downs going on in China, who are likely in parts of the supply chain of the parts of the pens or the chemicals used to make the insulin).

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
As of the 2nd week of Nov 2022, there's another shortage of Novorapid as well as Lantus (at least, in Bedford, UK).
I ran out of Novorapid yesterday, but still have a box of Lantus pens, so I'm :--
1) doubling the dose of Lantus (100 units per evening) and
2) cutting out as much carbs as I can find and
3) having multiple dumbell work-outs each day to burn off the excess glucose.
It seems to be working (so far, as I'm 8.7). Anyone else having shortages of these in any other areas?

Honestly, I don't think that is other than a very short term solution. Doubling your lantus makes it likely that you'll go low at night. What does the pharmacy that can't give you novorapid suggest you do? Maybe ring 111 and ask for advice? In your position, I'd probably ask for an alternative fast acting insulin such as humalog.

Is there an out of hours emergency GP service in your area where you can get an alternative script?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
My apologies @TokSik I see I posted my advice above without taking in that you had already sourced some novorapid. I was tempted to delete my post but am leaving it on the grounds that I think anyone else in your position should urgently source more fast acting insulin.