Now is not the time...

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
to experiment.

I have been taking an antihistamine, chlorphenamine, for years now. Originally prescribed for a reaction rash when absolutely nothing we did could figure out what I was reacting to. So I thought I'd try stopping it and see if I still had the reaction. The good news, no rash. The bad news, multiple circular red raised incredibly itchy welts. Being the highly intelligent person that I am (sarcasm) it took me three days to connect the circular welts with the circular adhesive patches of the infusion set.

I am now taking the antihistamine again. My chest and stomach have been thoroughly lacerated by my fingernails and I'm finding new places to stick the infusion set.

Does anybody else have an allergic reaction to the adhesive? (Medtronic Sure-T)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Seacrow Oddly enough I used to get really bad red welts with the mini mio sets particularly as the insertion was plastic but although I do get some red patches with the sure t - they aren’t so bad, try using a skin barrier spray like Calvon spray ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Most of the adhesive used in medical products bring me out in dermatitis, since my skin got sensitised to various products.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hey @Juicyj I figured that since the antihistamine has been suppressing the reaction just fine, I'm going to go back to taking that. It's less fuss, only one more pill to shove in the handful taken at night. I'll remember the skin barrier spray as an option though, thanks.

Reactions: Juicyj