1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Numb fingers on wakening up in the mornings

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mrs T 123, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hey

Does anyone else have numb fingers on wakening up in the mornings? I have this some mornings, sometimes in both hands sometimes only in 1 hand. I don't know if it is diabetes related or not as my diabetes is controlled and has been for a few years, also I was a secretary/typist for many years again not sure if this has anything to do with it or not - any thoughts anyone or does anyone else have this? I usually just give my fingers a wiggle and it disappears in seconds but I am just wondering ... and I don't have it at any other time of day or night just on wakening up in the mornings. Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands until I had it operated on, way before the big D entered my life. Does the numbness affect all the fingers equally, or is it only affecting some? If it is a pinched nerve it reliably affects different fingers according to which nerve it is - can’t remember the exact detail now, I’m sure Dr Google will supply the info. My carpal tunnel was always worse at night and extremely painful as it got worse, and I had permanently numb middle-finger tips in the end. All fine now though .

Of course could be something else entirely!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with @TeddyTottie .
    I had severe carpal tunnel in one hand and mild on the other, several years before diagnosed with type 2. It affects your thumb, index finger, middle finger and one side of your ring finger. I had the bad one operated on but the other remains very mild so I live with it.
    I’m not saying that’s what you definitely have, but it sounds like it. Of course you need to get checked with your dr to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

I do. Just like you, I sometimes wake up with one hand numb and rarely both. It goes away when I change positions. Probably just the way you have your wrist bent when you sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I used to regularly wake up with numb fingers in one hand - which turned out to be from the position I was sleeping in.
    It stopped happening when I learned to sleep with my hands in different positions. Haven’t experienced it since.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VioletFoxtrot

VioletFoxtrot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It could be many things, but it could still be neuropathy. You should see your doctor. If they suspect neuropathy they'll do the tests.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pura Vida

Pura Vida Type 2 · Well-Known Member

it happens to me also but only if my elbow is bent as soon as I stretch my arm it disappears.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've recently woken in the mornings with occasional slight numbeness/pins & needles, generally in my left hand & lower arm. It goes within minutes when I wiggle fingers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My numb fingers first thing in the morning were caused by statins. The numbness stopped as soon as I stopped taking them at the end of 2004.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mrs T 123

Yeah it never affects my little pinky so could be - I have never had any pain with it - a bit weird - I have osteoarthritis in a couple of fingers so wondered if it was even something to do with that - throughout my life I have used my fingers a lot for typing so could be something to do with that perhaps - who knows

11. Mrs T 123

What tests do they do for neuropathy?

12. Mrs T 123

I am not on statins - so can't be that

13. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Glad you haven't been brainwashed. I was sent for nerve conduction tests when I reported pain in my hands in 2014. The orthopaedic consultant suspected diabetic neuropathy, but it wasn't, it was osteo-arthritis. The test involved attaching electrodes to my arm and hand and passing a pulse of current through them. It felt weird, but not painful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mrs T 123

Thanks for that - interesting, it could just be my osteoarthritis - again I am not in any pain with this either I just have a small swelling in a couple of fingers and again the confusing thing is there is no pain on wakening up in the morning and it disappears within seconds if I wiggle my fingers - so just confusing!

15. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like me. I find it’s because I have my wrist tucked under in a strange position. It feels like a ‘dead arm’ that you get if you’ve slept oddly. A wiggle and the blood supply returns but hope it’s nothing more than that for you. If I try to ensure my wrists aren’t bent when I sleep, I’m fine. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

I can also vouch for these symptoms leading to a diagnosis, treatments and eventual surgery (both hands) for carpal tunnel syndrome. not saying it's definitely that, but it's a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mrs T 123

I will try that - thanks

18. Mrs T 123

So, did you feel this just on wakening up in the mornings and not at any other time of the day or night also?

19. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

I was doing a labouring job at the time, and would often get moments during the day when my fingers and palms would be either tingling or numb. Cycled to the job, also, and really noticed the numbness using the grips and handlebars. But it was much worse during the night and in the morning.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook