Numb fingers on wakening up in the mornings

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey

Does anyone else have numb fingers on wakening up in the mornings? I have this some mornings, sometimes in both hands sometimes only in 1 hand. I don't know if it is diabetes related or not as my diabetes is controlled and has been for a few years, also I was a secretary/typist for many years again not sure if this has anything to do with it or not - any thoughts anyone or does anyone else have this? I usually just give my fingers a wiggle and it disappears in seconds but I am just wondering ... and I don't have it at any other time of day or night just on wakening up in the mornings. Any thoughts would be appreciated

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands until I had it operated on, way before the big D entered my life. Does the numbness affect all the fingers equally, or is it only affecting some? If it is a pinched nerve it reliably affects different fingers according to which nerve it is - can’t remember the exact detail now, I’m sure Dr Google will supply the info. My carpal tunnel was always worse at night and extremely painful as it got worse, and I had permanently numb middle-finger tips in the end. All fine now though .

Of course could be something else entirely!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @TeddyTottie .
I had severe carpal tunnel in one hand and mild on the other, several years before diagnosed with type 2. It affects your thumb, index finger, middle finger and one side of your ring finger. I had the bad one operated on but the other remains very mild so I live with it.
I’m not saying that’s what you definitely have, but it sounds like it. Of course you need to get checked with your dr to be sure.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Caprock94

Hey

Does anyone else have numb fingers on wakening up in the mornings? I have this some mornings, sometimes in both hands sometimes only in 1 hand. I don't know if it is diabetes related or not as my diabetes is controlled and has been for a few years, also I was a secretary/typist for many years again not sure if this has anything to do with it or not - any thoughts anyone or does anyone else have this? I usually just give my fingers a wiggle and it disappears in seconds but I am just wondering ... and I don't have it at any other time of day or night just on wakening up in the mornings. Any thoughts would be appreciated

I do. Just like you, I sometimes wake up with one hand numb and rarely both. It goes away when I change positions. Probably just the way you have your wrist bent when you sleep.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to regularly wake up with numb fingers in one hand - which turned out to be from the position I was sleeping in.
It stopped happening when I learned to sleep with my hands in different positions. Haven’t experienced it since.

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be many things, but it could still be neuropathy. You should see your doctor. If they suspect neuropathy they'll do the tests.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it happens to me also but only if my elbow is bent as soon as I stretch my arm it disappears.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've recently woken in the mornings with occasional slight numbeness/pins & needles, generally in my left hand & lower arm. It goes within minutes when I wiggle fingers.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My numb fingers first thing in the morning were caused by statins. The numbness stopped as soon as I stopped taking them at the end of 2004.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @TeddyTottie .
I had severe carpal tunnel in one hand and mild on the other, several years before diagnosed with type 2. It affects your thumb, index finger, middle finger and one side of your ring finger. I had the bad one operated on but the other remains very mild so I live with it.
I’m not saying that’s what you definitely have, but it sounds like it. Of course you need to get checked with your dr to be sure.
Yeah it never affects my little pinky so could be - I have never had any pain with it - a bit weird - I have osteoarthritis in a couple of fingers so wondered if it was even something to do with that - throughout my life I have used my fingers a lot for typing so could be something to do with that perhaps - who knows

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not on statins - so can't be that
My numb fingers first thing in the morning were caused by statins. The numbness stopped as soon as I stopped taking them at the end of 2004.[/QUOTE

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you haven't been brainwashed. I was sent for nerve conduction tests when I reported pain in my hands in 2014. The orthopaedic consultant suspected diabetic neuropathy, but it wasn't, it was osteo-arthritis. The test involved attaching electrodes to my arm and hand and passing a pulse of current through them. It felt weird, but not painful.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you haven't been brainwashed. I was sent for nerve conduction tests when I reported pain in my hands in 2014. The orthopaedic consultant suspected diabetic neuropathy, but it wasn't, it was osteo-arthritis. The test involved attaching electrodes to my arm and hand and passing a pulse of current through them. It felt weird, but not painful.
Thanks for that - interesting, it could just be my osteoarthritis - again I am not in any pain with this either I just have a small swelling in a couple of fingers and again the confusing thing is there is no pain on wakening up in the morning and it disappears within seconds if I wiggle my fingers - so just confusing!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that - interesting, it could just be my osteoarthritis - again I am not in any pain with this either I just have a small swelling in a couple of fingers and again the confusing thing is there is no pain on wakening up in the morning and it disappears within seconds if I wiggle my fingers - so just confusing!

Sounds like me. I find it’s because I have my wrist tucked under in a strange position. It feels like a ‘dead arm’ that you get if you’ve slept oddly. A wiggle and the blood supply returns but hope it’s nothing more than that for you. If I try to ensure my wrists aren’t bent when I sleep, I’m fine. Good luck.

Beating-My-Betes

I can also vouch for these symptoms leading to a diagnosis, treatments and eventual surgery (both hands) for carpal tunnel syndrome. not saying it's definitely that, but it's a possibility.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like me. I find it’s because I have my wrist tucked under in a strange position. It feels like a ‘dead arm’ that you get if you’ve slept oddly. A wiggle and the blood supply returns but hope it’s nothing more than that for you. If I try to ensure my wrists aren’t bent when I sleep, I’m fine. Good luck.
I will try that - thanks

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can also vouch for these symptoms leading to a diagnosis, treatments and eventual surgery (both hands) for carpal tunnel syndrome. not saying it's definitely that, but it's a possibility.
So, did you feel this just on wakening up in the mornings and not at any other time of the day or night also?

Beating-My-Betes

So, did you feel this just on wakening up in the mornings and not at any other time of the day or night also?

I was doing a labouring job at the time, and would often get moments during the day when my fingers and palms would be either tingling or numb. Cycled to the job, also, and really noticed the numbness using the grips and handlebars. But it was much worse during the night and in the morning.