Numbers for the first fortnight. On the right track?

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
20230829_161235.jpg
These are my immediately before and two hours after numbers for the first two weeks low carb. Am I good to assume that because they rarely go up by more than 1 and often drop I'm on the right track even though some are higher than ideal?

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers look great to me. Perhaps you could share what you eat on any one day…….. I would be really interested to see a typical day’s menu …….well done
Hi @Emma Gill I'm happy to share if you don't mind my scribbles and abbreviations. Remember I'm brand new to this and still working things out and please forgive my terrible spelling and handwriting.
There are also errors within this for example I was counting too high for the almond milk and cauliflour rice so please don't take my numbers as accurate.

20230829_203944 (1).jpg

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great work & wonderful recording.
Diet looks perfect, mastered already.

Just a bit of dawn phenomenon but that will improve with time, mine took about 6 months.

Keep it up & report back

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 62893These are my immediately before and two hours after numbers for the first two weeks low carb. Am I good to assume that because they rarely go up by more than 1 and often drop I'm on the right track even though some are higher than ideal?
Looks excellent. You should expect to still be seeing some high(er) numbers still, but I don't see any problem with any of those readings. Touch of the Dawn Phenom, maybe, but very little you can do about that - it will sort itself out.

Keep going!

Reactions: Margarettt

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for sharing your food diary, it’s very impressive and can I say without offending that’s a lot to eat.
Hi @Emma Gill Not offended at all. The diary was from my very first week so I was determined to have three square meals and not be hungry in between.I think it was difficult to believe it would fill me up without a third of the plate being carbs ! If you look at the page with my numbers you'll see that by the second week I was actually down to two meals on many of the days because I just wasn't hungry.
I read lots of posts where people say "the weight fell off" when they started low carb. I've lost one pound in three weeks so, so far its not my experience.
I have struggled with my weight my entire adult life and have lots to lose so I may look at quantity or calories in the future but for now I've decided to prioritise getting the numbers down and it seems to be on track.
Long and short- I'm not saying eat all the food I'm eating because it may well be a lot to eat.
Good luck

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read lots of posts where people say "the weight fell off" when they started low carb. I've lost one pound in three weeks so, so far its not my experience.
I have struggled with my weight my entire adult life and have lots to lose so I may look at quantity or calories in the future but for now I've decided to prioritise getting the numbers down and it seems to be on track.
Don't get disheartened, you're doing really well.

A lot of those people, including me, who lost a lot of weight at the start of low carb did so due to water weight loss. The effect is multiplied the lower carb you go initially, as when the body is "starved" of carbohydrate it rapidly burns through its glycogen stores, which consist of a very high percentage of water. According to the numbers on my smart scales and some very loose maths, I'd estimate I lost 10-12lb of water weight in the first two weeks of keto low carbing (it's a very rough number though).

While it's a motivator to some, it's not the "bad" fat mass weight people are losing here, so from a health perspective it's likely not as beneficial as the 1 pound you've lost.

Blood glucose levels are the immediate, high priority area in need of attention for most who are newly diagnosed like us. Excess sugar in your blood can cause all sorts of damage, some irreversible, and there's a host of horrible side effects too if it isn't controlled. Your numbers show you're improving your BG readings, so that's the important thing. Weight loss will come, possibly with some tweaking of diet as you've said, or maybe it won't be needed - but just stay on the right path that you're currently on.

Reactions: Paul41