Numbers

Linmarg

Hi I am type two diabetic . My reading this morning 3 hr after breakfast was 6.6 this normal for me , I am I still classed as type two or pre diabetic Thank You Linda

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi I am type two diabetic . My reading this morning 3 hr after breakfast was 6.6 this normal for me , I am I still classed as type two or pre diabetic Thank You Linda

It kinda depends on what you eat but it is normally suggested that one would check blood glucose around 1-1/2 to 2 hours after eating to catch the glucose peak.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @Linmarg

The one off meter reads don't dictate diagnosis of diabetes
it's the overview of the 3 months of bloods (HBA1c) that define where we are Diabetically.

The test COULD suggest your clear and back to NORMAL numbers,
but would that include any spiking outside of that testing period, that still indicates type 2 etc

The advise as always is to test at an fbg.
test before meal, then test 2 hours after.

that gives you waking background Glucose (dawn phenomena)
you levels before eating and the levels after eating show how well we deal withe the foods we have just ingested.

the 2 hours being a typical decline response, in those without diabetes, which is what we try to emulate via diet etc.

A little of how long you've been t2, how much carbs you eat and what you HBA1C scores have been and when next expected, should help others make better suggestions as to your route and expectations moving on.

For information on how well other manage, the success pages, always prove inspirational to me.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome Linmarg,

I agree that a one off reading can't tell you much except how your levels were at that time. You would need to have more readings and at hours after a meal to give you more helpful information.

Testing before a meal and 2 hours after will let you know how the meal effected your body. Ideally a rise of less than means the meal is okay. Testing regularly when you get up and just before a meal and 2 hours after will give you an idea of how you are going at the moment. If all your readings are 66 or below that is great! I'm not sure I believe that you are n o longer a diabetic. I think it means that you have it under control. If you manage to get that reading all the time while eating a lot of carbs- maybe you are no longer a diabetic.

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes with more regular testing.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your reply, I will test as you all suggest.

The test helps you manage it and understand how the food is affecting you. The proof in the sugar free pudding is in the Hba1c test you will have every year or more frequently

Reactions: jjraak