nutrition

Dobbs

I've come to realise, partly from browsing around this fine forum, how deplorably ignorant I am on the subject of nutrition in general. I've been low-carbing happily and without notable difficulties for a few months now (eating the occasional bag of Wotsits in moments of crisis :twisted: , they being the lowest-carb of all crisps according to my Collins Gem Carb Counter). But when I was trying to explain my diet to someone the other day I realised that my pool of knowledge of basic nutritional concepts was shallow indeed.
Could somebody recommend a good, reliable, idiot-proof general book on the subject of nutrition?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Conventional books on nutrition, won't cover your low carbing diet. Try one of the books by Robert Atkins. He was a cardiologist, but felt that good nutrition would help his patients.

maridonax

Can I get a degree as a Dietetic Technician and still start my own nutrition practice? I want to start my own nutrition practice but don't want to go all the way to being a registered dietitian as I'd also like to focus on sports medicine and other things that interest me. Is it possible to start your own nutrition practice this way? I'd also get a certificate from an online program that is more what I'm interested in then your cookie cutter nutrition degree.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi maridonax.
Welcome to the Forum.

Not exactly sure where you are based ? I thought the term 'Diatetic Technician' is an American one ?

As we are UK based I can only give information relating to our own system. Here is a link to a website which explains briefly how the UK system works and there are also some references to US sites where further information may be available ?

http://articles.gourt.com/en/Dietitian

Ken.