1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Obesity, T2 and my right to eat the diet that will heal me

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by zand, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I am all for livestock. But the other factors need dealing with to ensure livestock doesnt get touched.

Unfortunatly for me, fossil fuel free is the way to go. But that requires the meateaters to play their part and go fossil fuel free.

#82 Listlad, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks mbaker. I listen to lectures on YouTube daily. Have done so for 4 years, so when I hear something, it's often difficult for me to remember where.

We know from Joseph Kraft's work, a Chicago pathologist who has a database of more than 14,000 5 hour OGGT tests that include measurements of insulin, not just glucose, that hyperglycemia [oops, meant hyperINSULINEMIA] precedes a diagnosis of prediabetes or diabetes by a decade.

Jim, I also have heard reports that only 12% of adults in the US are metabolically healthy. Thank you for reminding me of this. I think I have a reference to this at work.

What keeps me up at night is that if most diabetics themselves do not understand the health crisis we're in with diabetes, were in trouble and changes to dietary guidelines and our food supply that do not recognize the significant diabetes problem can and will make our current health crisis significantly worse.

Everyone reading this thread needs to read the report zand posted yesterday. It was the first of the two links. I reposted the link in my post yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #83 Winnie53, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Winnie53

mbaker, what would going fossil fuel free look like in our world?

Apologies, I was on my phone. My question is actually directed to @Listlad.

#84 Winnie53, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:32 PM
  5. Listlad

By going fossil fuel free, the meat eaters could then still eat meat and consume dairy products aplenty.

#85 Listlad, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:38 PM
  6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Considering that ruminants cannot digest soya (cows and sheep) I do not understand why they are being villified for soya production.

Also, considering that we will have to greatly up the production of soya as a protein for humans eating a diet which is mainly meat and dairy free, surely the net amount of soya produced (taking out the amount the ruminants allegedly eat) would remain at least the same.

Now, pigs eat soya, and chickens eat soya, but the pig and chicken industry is growing very fast to replace the loss of beef, dairy and lamb. Its rather odd.

Not to mention the increased ammonia from chicken poo going into our water tables and air.

7. lucylocket61

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Winnie53

Listlad, I'm sincere in my question, and frankly trying to catch up with the issues around climate change. What would a world that is fossil fuel free look like? Can't get my head around it. I live in the city and am fortunate to be within a mile of a two grocery stores and a smaller market called Trader Joes. I also live 2 - 3 miles from my workplace, but that is not typical for most.

9. Winnie53

lucylocket61, I believe it would be a huge mistake to change the wheat grown in the UK. Gotta to go to work now.

10. lucylocket61

fossil fuels are oil, gas, coal. I cant remember more. Fossil free means using solar, or wind powered, for example. I am sure there are more : )

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. lucylocket61

Its was changed over 50 years ago, all over the world. Read the link I posted.

12. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Great reason not to eat bread/other wheat products... ever?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Listlad

It will of course look different. It will look different if we don’t deal with it, too. But if you look closely the world is already beginning to make the necessary changes it needs to make to reverse the effects of plundering fossil fuels for just over 100 years.

To bring this back to the opening post, if we don’t adapt then we do risk the possibility of having to change our food sources.

14. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

12% seems a lot considering the Burgen SOYA and Linseed bread only has slightly more with 14%

15. busydiabeticmum

busydiabeticmum I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow, looks like you all have found the solution to climate, I was laughing as a lot of you say exactly the same as my husband... to much unnecessary stuff, too much waste, too much usage of electricity (hairdryers, curling tongs, straighteners and goodness know what else)... our car broke down recently, was meant to be indestructible... can't find anyone to fix it and they just say get a new engine, I would rather fix the one part that's broken than buy an entire new engine!!!

Then I think as a low carver myself when I was watching this article on the news and getting angry I thought... what would I be able to eat? To go vegan I would be on a diet of nuts! I saw an article about veganism a while ago that showed that a lot of vegans have severe vitamin deficiency... they want you to cut out meat but you would HAVE to replace it with carbs which would cause a massive problem for diabetics (I think this has already been said).

I did see on another forum where a lot if scared woman are cutting down on having kids to save the environment, yet it seems hypocritical of their idols who are claiming that they will have a maximum of 2 kids to save the planet but fly around in a private jet is fine!?! I think we all know who I'm talking about... also BBC had on a vegan visiting a sheep farmer, she thinks sheep shearing is cruel... I was totally bawled over by the lack of logic in her thinking... she said if it was natural for the sheep to have long hair then it would fall out itself... erm, she obviously has had her hair cut so isn't that cruel to her... it isn't natural because surely her hair would fall out otherwise!? She also thinks we should change wool and leather for plastic!!!

One thing nobody has said is how the increase in vegetable eating would be taking food out of animal and insects mouths and isn't that cruelty to those animals and how those animals would then be deemed pests and killed off (curse of the ware rabbit comes to mind).

I don't get vegan or vegetarianism, I respect their right to eat their diet... I just don't get the logic... why are the lives of fluffy cute animals off limits but anything that isn't cute and fluffy but still living (plants) fair game?

I am all for reducing plastic, I also wonder why they didn't change the plastic bags to paper ones, I mean if the loo paper ppl can plant 3 for every one they cut down surely everyone can do the same, as to bleaching etc... why would it need to be white and fine etc... not writing paper is it? Plus paper is very recyclable.
    Plastic bottles could be changed for glass refills... it does all come down to cost.

It also seems strange that they say cut out meat but eat fish instead even though the fish are being over fished and their numbers are in huge decline anyway!!!

I just don't get their argument and I don't get how it will help solve any problems without creating even bigger ones.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Listlad

Rant done. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I learnt that in school in the 1950's, we had a great science teacher at the time,

18. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Speaking of toilet paper, I reckon I use less than a roll per month on the carnivore diet. Eating only animal foods has probably saved me a couple of trees so far. I'll be carbon neutral by Christmas.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Hydro

20. Listlad

Nuclear

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook