Obsessing over my numbers isn't good for my mental health

CanadianGuy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always had anxiety, ever since I was a kid. I will not say I have OCD because OCD is a real thing and not just something that everybody has for having worry, but I can fixate on something for a while.

I feel as though my November 2017 FBG score of 115 (up from 108 in Jan 2017) is related to my severe anxiety of needles because of the one time I fainted at the lab and it scared and confused me.
BTW my 115 FBG came with an A1C score of 5.0%.
I tried to get my doctor to talk to me and explain how nervous FBG tests make me and my A1C score and he didn't listen and basically dismissed the A1C score and said the FBG is the one that's more indicative of what's going on.

Then he proceeded to berate me for eating too many carbs, drinking too much wine (I do not drink wine...I do drink bourbon though) and being too fat. At 5'9" I was about 193 LBS.

Since then I have switched to much lower carb intake, salads, less liquor, much more exercise including walks on my lunch, much more indoor rowing. I have gone down to about 163 LBS (!!) and have taken about 4 inches off of my stomach. The first thing people say to me now is, "Oh my God you have lost so much weight!"
That's 15% or so of my overall body weight.

I still need to tone my chest and stomach, everything else is firm.

I bought a test meter. And I test it and get many test days in the 77 to 88 fasting range. But sometimes they go up into the 90's.

I have been eating so much better, lost a TON of weight, exercise MUCH more. But some days when I wake up having bad dreams, sleep like ****, have bad anxiety, my blood glucose creeps up. I was so scared of the test results being bad news that even after several days of 88 fasting on my home glucose meter, I tested at a 111 on test day and had to go the next day.

Some days, especially anxiety days, my numbers are higher, despite eating clean. Sometimes they are lower despite me eating more carbs than I should.

They can go up, and they can go down.

When they are higher than normal, I obsessively surf the internet, my palms sweaty, my mind racing, crying inside, trying to figure out WHAT'S THE NORMAL????

I've worked my ass off and lost a ton of weight and better health choices food and exercise-wise, but I still get obsessive that I'm getting symptoms.
For example, my feet will get hot at night and I go "Oh no!! That has to be nerve damage!" then I'll run and prick my finger and the numbers will be in the mid 80's or 90's.

I fee like testing less and just trusting that i am doing the right thing will be better for me, but it's so hard when the means to ask your body what its blood is doing is so doable.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I fee like testing less and just trusting that i am doing the right thing will be better for me, but it's so hard when the means to ask your body what its blood is doing is so doable.

Apart from the obsessing and stressing it seems that you're doing all the right things, but those two can have a negative effect on your BG, so to me it sounds like you're in a vicious circle. I've no idea how to break out of it, though. Perhaps ask someone to lock away the BG meter for a while, a couple of weeks? Could meditation help you take a more relaxed approach to your readings? Different strokes for different folks.

A T1 friend of mine has experienced far better BG readings since she went part time, and I'm sure there are countless other examples of how our minds are capable of raising BG levels, as I'm sure you know. Sleeping badly is one of them. Typing this I've been up and about since 3:30AM, so I simply didn't bother to check my BG, and wouldn't even know if it would have been an FBG :happy: After several cups of chai with a little whipping cream it certainly wouldn't be now.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The only thing I can suggest is a change of GP.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Guzzler. Your HbA1c is brilliant at 5.0%. Fasting numbers are often the last to settle down. I’m a year from diagnosis and my fasting results are still often higher than later in the day.

Reactions: dbr10

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugars go up when I get anxious or stressed. The best solution is to try not to get too stressed about the diabetes.

Fearing needles is a bit of a problem, but you are going to have to suffer with the fear of that, as it's an unavoidable part of the treatment.

It's a difficult problem, and some people can be well controlled but have complications, so it's not a virtue thing. But we do have friends to help our bodies, other than controlling blood glucose. One of those friends is food.

Endothelial dysfunction is the cause of complications, so we can eat food that is kind to endothelial cells, there are certain vitamins that they particularly like. Like folates, and vitamins C, A, B6. So you can google and change your diet to please your endothelial cells, that gives you more power.

Also you can reduce endothelial dysfunction by physical activity. So you have control over diabetes, beyond just controlling blood sugar, which is quite hard to do. You can't control luck, but if the anxiety comes from a feeling of lack of control, you can change that a bit.