Obtaining insulin abroad

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will shortly be travelling around europe for a few weeks and wondered how easy it was to obtain insulin if i was to lose it / it gets destroyed by hot weather. Can i just walk into a pharmacy or what?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will shortly be travelling around europe for a few weeks and wondered how easy it was to obtain insulin if i was to lose it / it gets destroyed by hot weather. Can i just walk into a pharmacy or what?
It's different per country, but there are no countries in Europe where you can buy insulin without proof you need it. The good thing is that no-one will want you to die, so a lot is possible.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@jamesfitz i recommend reading through your travel insurance.
If you can get insulin, you will have to pay for it. Another reason to make sure you have travel insurance that explicitly covers pre existing conditions such as diabetes. Standard travel insurance does not.
Any suggestions of travel insurance companies to try for a type 1 on insulin?

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many years ago had to go to casualty in Spain when bag snatched and last Novo pen was in it! Was given a prescription and purchased this from pharmacy. Was approx £35 for box of Novo pens but about 15 years ago.
I travelled around USA and visited Tobago / Trinidad for 6 weeks kept insulin in fridge when ever possible at youth hostel etc, had no problems, also take travel bag with cooler in for insulin. Should be fine. Make sure you take double the amount needed, just in case.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Any suggestions of travel insurance companies to try for a type 1 on insulin?

covermore works in Australia and New Zealand, don't know if their UK branch is the same. You have to fill in a medical questionnaire for conditions not automatically covered, which include T1 diabetes.

For (very) old folk goodtogoinsurance will cover pretty well any existing medical conditions (provided non-terminal). My 89 year old T2 dad has been using them for 6 years to visit us in the Antipodes for 3 months over the UK winter and it's gone up to GBP 2000 a pop. (But then his life expectancy is such that there is a significant chance he won't make it back home again.)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second travel insurance and it depends where in Europe. I've been to the Netherlands and I needed novorapid at the time, the pharmacist was very kind and said she'll let me buy novorapid over the counter - 80 euros for 10 novorapid cartridges, 40 euros per box. Usually you need to see the doctor to get a prescription, but in most cases I'd ask the pharmacist first, along with travel insurance, passport, any medication packaging or your prescription.

Reactions: porl69

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get worldwide silver insurance cover from Insure and go for 1year ,pay extra for Diabetes (with no additional medical problems ) amount depends on age / cover. (Under £50 extra for me.)