GB1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Adverts.
Dear All

I have only just joined this forum despite being type 1 since 1974. I noticed this topic online due to my recent frustrations with occlusions and the insight flex since the supply of steel cannula's was stopped by Roche.

To be honest I have been getting the bleeping and error message M24 up to six times a day. Sometimes for variation an E7 error will close things down (at least until I remove and re-insert the battery). . Sometimes I change the infusion set and sometimes not. I do not notice any of this nonsense affecting my blood sugar but boy does it irritate me.

I have spoken with my diabetic nurse who finds those of us with more injections behind us have more problems with non-steel cannula's due to the differences under the skin (and please don't ask if I put the cannula near a lump).

My latest call to Roche's technical support resulted with me being asked if I rotated the sites I used followed by questions as to whether I could see air bubbles in the line. I am a postman and the time before I was told the cold weather can affect the insulin in the pump and cause air bubbles due to volume changes.

Call me old-fashioned but the only difference is my being forced to use inferior Teflon cannula's. It is not the change in the weather, electronic interference, mobile phones or my car keys it is the cannula.

The only way I have found to reduce the M24 errors is by stretching the body as much as possible near the site as the cannula is attached (my wife helps).

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using flex cannula's on the Combo and now the Insight for 4+ yrs with no problems.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive had the same problem recently. Had to move from steel cannulas to flex (6mm) and then tenderlink. With flex 6mm I had lots of occlusions (to the point there was no point to use the pump any more) Tenderlink worked ok but it doesn't stick to the skin very well. I had to put lots of tape over it, otherwise it didn't last even one day. Then I moved to flex 8mm and it has been working very good. Only one occlusion so far

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been fine using the Flex cannulas - so far no occlusions (but that's only since October, so not all that long, I admit).

In my pump starter kit I was the only one in my pump group (four of us starting on the same day) who had been given a 'Flex Assist' inserter. I used it from the word go, and the others all ordered one immediately. One person in the pump group had difficulties with every single cannula, and I seem to recall that when we met on the Friday, having started on the Monday, this person had had alarms going off pretty much continuously - and I've wondered since then whether the Flex cannulas are so un-robust (is that even a word?!) that manual insertion rather than firing it in using the Flex Assist is enough to cause an issue - they certainly seem very flimsy. She stopped having the problem after she started using the inserter.

I've never inserted one manually and I'm not sure I'd even have the confidence to try! I know I should, though, in case my inserter breaks (although I now have a spare, just in case).

I've been lucky up until now, but will continue to watch this thread with interest.

:watching:

Rusty650

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also had the same problem with the 6mm and 8mm Rapid Flexlink cannulas following the withdrawal of the steel cannulas last year. I suffer from Lipohypertrophy so teflon cannulas just plainly do not work for me unfortunately. I have tried to use the flexlinks for the last 4 months and my Habc1 has risen which is not acceptable for me anymore as it is my health and not Roche who will suffer in the long term. I contacted Roche once again today just to see if there is any update regarding the steel cannulas as to when or if they will ever be made available in the future and sadly no is still the answer.
I do not see any alternative option but after four and half years on a pump I am going to give the pump back so hopefully some new person may get the benefit from having a pump who can use alternative teflon cannulas and hopefully they will be able to enjoy the benefits that i found so valuable of being on a pump. Thanks Roche.....