1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Odd nerve 'attacks'

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by robotears, Jul 25, 2016.

1. robotears

robotears Type 1 · Member

I don't know if this is anything to do with my T1, but lately I've been experiencing these odd feelings that are like having an electric shock through my body. I'm reasonably fit (plenty of running) and good weight / bg control, but these 'attacks' are becoming stronger and I can only link it to my late onset...2 years into diagnosis. It doesn't seem to be connected to exercise, it's happening at random times now. Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. robotears

When I say late onset I mean diagnosed at age 41. I'm worried about this and haven't told anyone about it.

3. robotears

Someone please talk to me I'm not in a good place

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

You should mention it to your Dr as it's obviously causing you concern, hard to say if it's diabetes related or not but your Dr will hopefully find the cause.

Best wishes and please keep the thread updated on your progress.

Edit to add, if the symptoms get worse and become regular you should ring the NHS 111 or call an ambulance.

• Like Like x 3
  5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Where exactly do you feel these 'shocks'?

6. robotears

In my face, across my shoulders into my arms and hands. Sometimes in my legs.

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

You say in your opening post that the attacks are getting stronger so I suggest you seek urgent medical advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. robotears

I'm scared. I feel like I'm falling apart faster with every day.

9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Static??

Serious response... I've had the odd jolt off cars.

10. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Ok - the reason I was asking was because I wondered whether it might be a back or neck issue. I've had both sciatica and a trapped nerve in my neck. The sciatica caused tingling, shooting pains down my leg and also up towards my shoulder, and the trapped nerve in my neck made what felt like static electric shocks and tingles run down my arm and into my fingers.

I don't know if you have anything like that, but I'm saying it because what you're feeling may not be diabetes related and could have a number of causes.

Definitely see your GP. If you can, try to write down exactly what you feel - where, how long, what kind of feeling, etc - because that will give your doctor clues about what to check.

I know it's easy to,say and hard to do, but try not to worry. Get to the doctor and see what they say.

I hope it can be sorted for you.

Take care and best wishes.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

My advice would be.
    Log these events with any relivant activities, environments, (certain places.) & clothes worn... Yep, I said clothing. Certain fibres cause static...

12. robotears

Thank you. Have that weird muted feeling because of diab issues...like I've gone on about stuff for a while and now no ones really listening. You're probably right...nothing to do with T1 but I've never been properly ill before and suddenly I have a 'serious' thing to consider.

13. Bebo321

Bebo321 Family member · Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound T1 related and closer to some sort of nervous system issue. Try not to panic and get booked in to see your GP as soon as you can. As suggested, make notes of what and where you are feeling shocks, weakness or any other symptoms.
    Hug of support.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I was having nerve jolts when I went too low carb on lchf diet. Once I reintroduced a little breadcrumbs, it stopped. Very edgy too.
    Are you low carbing right now?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Make sure you are tested for B12 and folate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. robotears

Yes. Because my bod is waaay sensitive to insulin, I've found the best strategy is to keep doses low (I'm only 0.5u ins : 10g carb) and then I don't spend all day yo-yo ing. I'm sure that this has been there pre-lchf, though of course I can try this. Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
  17. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hear you on this. It is something that has taken over your life and you need to talk about it but those closest to you just seem to tune you out after awhile. It's not that they don't care, they just don't have any frame of reference and don't understand why it is the only thing you seem to think about. The people on this forum will never do that. Stick with them.;):confused::p

• Like Like x 4
  18. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

How did you get on @robotears ?

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook