oesophageal & throat spasms - also HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it is NYE here where I live and I'm trying desperately to distract myself from pain yet again.

I just had a severe spasm and my voice was totally gone with it. My entire left side of my throat and oesophagus just locks up. It is only just releasing now after over an hour, although still quite painful. I'm watching all my vital signs and my bp was 170/99 and heart rate 112. My temp was slightly up as well at 37.6 (I don't usually get a temp higher than 37). i'm already on antibiotics in case of uti... doc thought that was best because it is nye and they won't get results until Monday (lab keeps trying to grow bacteria over a 3 day period if blood is found). So with all that is happening, yes my blood sugar is just high and I can't seem to get it below 7. I will be adjusting my basal dosage again tonight as gave the last increase enough time and it's not working.

So it looks like I will be nursing my complaints this NYE and resting.

I hope you all have a happy new year and enjoy. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you aware of your blood pressure by any chance?

Normal Blood Pressure
Systolic:
Less than 120
Diastolic: Less than 80
Prehypertension
Blood Pressure
Systolic:
From 120 to 139
Diastolic: From 80 to 89
High Blood Pressure
(Hypertension) Stage 1
Systolic:
From 140 to 159
Diastolic: From 90 to 99
High Blood Pressure
(Hypertension) Stage 2
Systolic:
160 or higher
Diastolic: 100 or higher
Hypertensive Crisis
(Emergency care needed)
Systolic:
Higher than 180
Diastolic: Higher than 110

For 170/99 to be good, both numbers must fit into the "normal" category above. Otherwise, it will fall into other categories of High Blood Pressure.

Systolic reading of 170 is in the High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Stage 2 range. Diastolic reading of 99 is in the High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Stage 1 range.

Therefore, 170/99 is High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Stage 2.

Your heart rate in that combination and your high blood sugar are far more concerning than a temperature of 37,6

http://www.newhealthguide.org/Fever-Symptoms.html

Your throat and oesophagus spasms are unusual intensive anyways, I highly recommend to contact your health line.

Yeh, I'm aware of blood pressure and what is means as I'm on bp med for hypertension. thanks :)

My body does that when it isn't coping... bp and heart rate goes up. I've been told numerous times I get sinus tachycardia... so they treat me like I'm having a heart attack when I get to ER... I try to tell them I'm having a spasm but they haven't a clue how to treat that. I can't call my health line because they just call an ambulance. I don't need an ambulance until it is 180/110 and heart rate over 100. But here every time I call the health line, because I'm diabetic they automatically call an ambulance on me as soon as they find out I have high bp and heart rate. I've done it a few times and each time I wind up in an ambulance and get to ER and they have no clue what to do with me other than do an ECG and admit me because they're doing the blood tests to check for heart attack.

I'd say it was just the intense pain I was having that caused it. It settled back down about an hour after I took an antibiotic tablet. The spasm had me in pain for good couple of hours.

I'm feeling washed out now... but better than last night.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I hope you feel a little better today and 2016 will get easier for you, Happy New Year Mep.
Take care RRB :)

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you weren't aware @Mep , no one would be. Hope you sandgropers enjoy what's left of NYD

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well it is NYE here where I live and I'm trying desperately to distract myself from pain yet again.

I just had a severe spasm and my voice was totally gone with it. My entire left side of my throat and oesophagus just locks up. It is only just releasing now after over an hour, although still quite painful. I'm watching all my vital signs and my bp was 170/99 and heart rate 112. My temp was slightly up as well at 37.6 (I don't usually get a temp higher than 37). i'm already on antibiotics in case of uti... doc thought that was best because it is nye and they won't get results until Monday (lab keeps trying to grow bacteria over a 3 day period if blood is found). So with all that is happening, yes my blood sugar is just high and I can't seem to get it below 7. I will be adjusting my basal dosage again tonight as gave the last increase enough time and it's not working.

So it looks like I will be nursing my complaints this NYE and resting.

I hope you all have a happy new year and enjoy. :)

Glad you are feeling better - hope u are now recovered - over xmas i met 2 people, and heard of a 3rd - all normally healthy, not D, who have had similar strange symptoms, some with pain and inflammation with a sort of one sided lock jaw, one just with sudden spasm and paralysis one side of face and jaw for a minute or two on and off for some days - all with tiredness, the consensus was it may have been a strange virus going round. Just hoping i am not going to succumb too badly - pulse and blood pressure up and face hot - jabs of one sided earache - blood glucoses uncontrollable - 8 more units yesterday and up now trying to sort! Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you are feeling better - hope u are now recovered - over xmas i met 2 people, and heard of a 3rd - all normally healthy, not D, who have had similar strange symptoms, some with pain and inflammation with a sort of one sided lock jaw, one just with sudden spasm and paralysis one side of face and jaw for a minute or two on and off for some days - all with tiredness, the consensus was it may have been a strange virus going round. Just hoping i am not going to succumb too badly - pulse and blood pressure up and face hot - jabs of one sided earache - blood glucoses uncontrollable - 8 more units yesterday and up now trying to sort! Happy New Year!

Oh sorry to hear about the virus :( Happy New Year to you.

I have had numbness in half my face before too that lasted 4 days and I have a fever with it. Docs said they think it was some sort of weird virus I had. These viruses can get nasty. I haven't had that since. I get numbness with migraines, but that time I didn't have a migraine so it was just weird.