"Of which sugars"

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still not totally sure I understand this

For example a pot noodle is 19g carbs and only 1.5g of which sugars.. so could pot noodle be considered good or bad in terms of blood sugar?

I generally aim for foods that are less than 1g of "which sugars"

Should I be concentrating on the total carbs instead?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its always carbs first, total carbs is the main thing to look for to keep your numbers down.

Second to this is type of carbs.

So something thats high in carbs will result in high blood sugar most of the time, it the type of carb can affect how quickly you get the spike but the first three are generally bad for a diabetic in all but very small portions, the rest tend to be slightly more subjective.

Total carbs made mostly from sugar will have the fastest impact
Total carbs made mostly from easy processed carbs (white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes) is the next qworst rise.
Total carbs made from mostly harder to process carbs (Brown examples of the above is next)
Total cabrs made from whole grains (bulgar wheat for example is next
Total carbs made from beans and lentils next

The above is in my experiance, some people find beans rate higher.

In all cases the best thing to do is test 2 hours after eating to see how its affected your bloods then you will get an idea of how your body reacts. But you could certainly cut all "sugar" and still be very badly in the diabetic range of HBA1C if you eat lots of other bars like rice and pasta etc.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In all cases the best thing to do is test 2 hours after eating to see how its affected your bloods then you will get an idea of how your body reacts. But you could certainly cut all "sugar" and still be very badly in the diabetic range of HBA1C if you eat lots of other bars like rice and pasta etc.
Do note however that @Medina27 has posted in the Type1 section and if Type1 has insulin to help :) - though said insulin can take a fair while longer than 2 hours to have full effect

@Medina27 For type1's we need to know how many carbs there are so we can bolus for it, the percentage of sugars can just affect how quickly said carbs hit, ie something with 80+% sugars is a good hypo treatment.

If you can bolus for your pot noodle and keep your sugars in a place you're happy with then that's fine :)

Reactions: Medina27

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still not totally sure I understand this

For example a pot noodle is 19g carbs and only 1.5g of which sugars.. so could pot noodle be considered good or bad in terms of blood sugar?

I generally aim for foods that are less than 1g of "which sugars"

Should I be concentrating on the total carbs instead?

Although the pot noodle's 19g carbs/100g a pot of it's 58g carbs (there's a couple in the cupboard in case the child requests one), my own experience of eating one would suggest there's more simple sugars than advertised! One way of looking at the 'of which sugars' with carbs is that the carbs is how much there is and of which sugars is how quick you'll get them.

I'd not considerer a pot noodle good in any way due to it being processed food high in saturated fat and too much salt :)

Reactions: Medina27

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the explanations and yes I am type 1 on insulin and I've updated my profile to make this clear

But I'm on a low carb diet (during the day) and then eat whatever I like (during the evening) with the fast-acting pen

This seems to work very well for me

Reactions: In Response