Off the tracks

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
Hi all, I was doing well with control but lately struggling to keep morning readings below 12/15.
This has been like this since I stopped training due to back problems.
Is there any long term problems with these readings?
I checked last night out of bed 10pm and they were 17.

I’m due to have op on my spine then get back on track but without the walking and train him struggling to control.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I was doing well with control but lately struggling to keep morning readings below 12/15.

I’m due to have op on my spine then get back on track but without the walking and train him struggling to control.
Hi I suggest you take a good look at what you are eating because I am a bit of a sloth and control my BG by what I eat. Have you cut out sugar and starches (potatoes in all forms, bread, rice and pasta) thats a good place to start. Anything including hidden sugar ie. processed foods. If you like eggs, cheese, meat and fish, salad and green veg there are lots of good combos. A little dark chocolate 85% or higher ok. Berries instead of other fruit. Come back for more info and take a look at the thread “what have you eaten today” for ideas. Good luck with your surgery.

Reactions: Dadio

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You really want to get your diet sorted then... Because if your bloodsugars are high, they're not going to operate. High bloodglucose = slow healing, more risk of infection and complications.What are you eating? If you can't move around much, low carb is pretty much your best option to get the numbers down quick. (You could try medication and/or insulin instead, maybe discuss it with your doc?).

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

It really depends on how long your blood sugars are that high. If it's just a morning spike for a couple of hours and your blood sugars were low overnight then it's not so bad. Is the 17 was just a spike immediately after eating and it came down to below 7.8 mmol/l two hours later?

Myself, I've never been happy with my readings unless they were under 7.8 mmol/l two hours after eating (or with spikes over 8), or above 5.7 wakings as I was worried about keeping my HbA1c at or below 6.5%. In Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution he says to avoid diabetes complications you need a normal HbA1c in the low 5's.) I changed my diet to LCHF and exercise in order to try to achieve this.
(Sadly, I'm now on insulin, just this week. But it means I can raise the goal posts. No more than a 0.5 mmol/l increase in BS after eating. Wakings under 5. This is from Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Not that I'm achieving this yet. I'm being very cautious.)

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
IMG_0435.jpg

Getting there now