Officially diagnosed t2 today

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have to go and see the diabetic team on 19 June to see how I have to manage it. I’m guessing diet control with it being so far off and my numbers weren’t that bad from my Hba1c only 53 the first one, not sure what the second one was as she only said I’m diabetic

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Hope your appointment goes well
Hopefully you'll soon get your diabetes under control
Take care

Reactions: mashandsoph

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
With numbers like yours you can almost decide where you would like your 3 - 6 month numbers to be i.e. possibly pre-diabetic or non-diabetic numbers. If you look at my avatar you can see the type of recovery that is possible, and I am about middle of the pack, having made mistakes along the way. So you may go through a "shock" period, but you have every reason to be optimistic, tagging @Daisy 1 to provide you with some well researched getting started information.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you go back and read Daisy's post from when you first joined up you'll learn more than most DN's will be able to tell you.
You can probably achieve quite a lot between now and then so drop the carbs and see how you get on.

Reactions: mashandsoph

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My diagnostic HbA1c was 53 (the second one was 52) and medication was never mentioned at all. I was told to go away for 3 months, given some rubbish information about diet, and that was that. I had never heard of Metformin until I joined this forum.
I managed to get down to pre-diabetic levels by the time of my review 3 months later, so again no mention of medication.

If you restrict your carbs and lose some weight (if you need to), and perhaps increase your exercise (walking is fine) you should be able to return to normal levels. Have you got a blood glucose meter? If not I strongly urge you to buy one so you can check that your chosen foods are able to be processed efficiently by your body.

Good luck.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@mashandsoph let me just say YOU CAN DO THIS! It’s not too elevated and you can kick it to the curb pretty fast at your age too. Make sure to keep to the meter, watch those carbs and keep on the forward momentum.

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
Good for you. I agree with the advice to check your blood glucose. I went for a year after diagnosis with nothing and things got worse and had to start meds. I'm sure if I had been advised to keep a check this would have been less likely. Now have Abbott freestyle Libre and check where and when I want to without sore fingers!